Here's a list of events: http://rccombat.com/events/index.asp
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:03 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
I wish I had time available to get back into it. I sure do miss the chase.
Still have the equipment. I've only had enough time to show up to watch. No time for fleet service.

It's good to hear combat is still alive and well out in your neck of the woods.

Whoa! I see Todd and Dennis are going on a road trip to Dogfight over Dovre!
Mig Man is offline Find More Posts by Mig Man
Last edited by Mig Man; Apr 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
Sho Nuff Combat Pilot
United States, TX, Greenville
Joined Mar 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig Man View Post

Yep, I saw that. They should have a good time, I hear that event is a nice one to attend.

Take Care David and hope you can get back to combat soon
Dane McGee is offline Find More Posts by Dane McGee
Old May 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,648 Posts
Quote:

They were 'no shows' for the event. I guess we must've scared them off!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old May 15, 2012, 10:24 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac View Post
They were 'no shows' for the event. I guess we must've scared them off!

-= Dave
I know. They have been properly teased about it. They kept saying the date got changed to the 12th and they couldn't make it. We did have a youth event at the field this weekend (12th). So I see your event was the 5th. Didn't look rescheduled to me. I think they signed up for the wrong event. They may have been trying to get to the Exciter event in mid Cal.
Our big event is the Pearl Harbor Classic in early Dec. That's the one event we see people making the trip out this way to sunny So Cal. Consider the trip Dave, Dane. In fact 'ya-all are invited out.

From not so sunny 2009 Pearl Harbor Classic when Bob (Longhaul) Loescher made the trip out.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:15 AM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
921 Posts
Miss the chase also....used to fly at some of the events in Fallbrook many years ago.

What is a popular SSC plane now and are SPADS such as the Hell on Rails still competitive? I stopped combat about the time the Falcon, Skull Bandit and other foamie wings were tearing up the sky (not the reason, just got into other activities).

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Miss the chase also....used to fly at some of the events in Fallbrook many years ago.

What is a popular SSC plane now and are SPADS such as the Hell on Rails still competitive? I stopped combat about the time the Falcon, Skull Bandit and other foamie wings were tearing up the sky (not the reason, just got into other activities).

SpadCat
Locally they have been building the whippet. They like the quick and easy build. The Battle axe is also flown there. You can still catch a Mig occasionally. I quit doing the Mig build parties a couple years ago. Other family matters took priority over my time. They were what was flying with the Axes then.
No HOR's have made the field for a while. It just takes someone wanting to build them. The Gremlin looks interesting as an option for an easy build.

Here is what build parties will get you....Pilots!!! Don't expect a crowd like this right now. They are still flying though.
April 2010
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2010
921 Posts
Thanks Mig Man,

Even though I flew a lot of missions with the HOR, it was just little under powered if there was any wind at all.

I forgot that I do have 4 or 5 foam TA-152 kits that I could get flying pretty quickly. Would not be able to make the September event, but maybe Pearl Harbor in December. Can you provide a link for Whippet plans and is there a source for the foam wings?

Are Mousse cans still being used in Open B?

One last question...I know this thread is under "Fuel Combat Planes", but are any electrics showing up at the Fallbrook events (or do they even qualify)?

Hey, I think I flew with some of those guys in the pic. One looks like to be Butch.

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Aug 25, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Add questions
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:52 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hay guys,
If you get the plans for the 152's I cut cores.

Jeff
MWCores
MWCores is online now Find More Posts by MWCores
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:43 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
wow, talk about an old picture! thats me wiht the yellow/blue texan.

the wippet is an all coro plane.

we will be there in sept.
draftman1 is offline Find More Posts by draftman1
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftman1 View Post
wow, talk about an old picture! thats me wiht the yellow/blue texan.

the wippet is an all coro plane.

we will be there in sept.

Hmmm....still got a few sheets of coro....
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
David Drowns
Southern California
Joined Nov 2010
137 Posts
Yeah Andy, that was from when we were getting turn out. Hard to get any pictures around here recently with a pilot lineup like that.

SpadCat, The TA-152 was a great open B. You'd need the 400 sq inch wing area for the SSC. Notice the "cartoon scale" from the above pic. Andy's Texan Looked cool. Not scale but it was SSC legal. He'd think of it and build it.
(what a madman with building)

Mousse cans, (or combat cans) are still used.
Magnum did an excellent job with the XLS series engines. They turned out the 15 XLS, it ran great. When OS quit making the 25 FX the guys asked them to fill in the vaccuum for the combat pilots. They fast tracked the 25 XLS for us. We even got to fly one of the prototypes at our field before production. Awesome performance for the price. I run mine stock. It outperforms my old Norvell 25BB

Electrics qualify. You'd have to govern the rpm's to 17,500 somehow with the MAS 8x4 prop.

Not finding any plans right now. They've been doing build parties at Todd's house. Come out in September and try to win one from the raffle. If not the'll be sure to set you up. I'll get back if I locate a link. Not sure that one's ever been uploaded.

Yes, that's Butch in the Pearl Harbor 2009 pic above. He was Marshaling in the last one and not in that pic. A better shot below, Area-52 CTD (crash test dummy) Notice the hat.

That last Pearl pic was Sunday. This Pearl Harbor 2009 was Saturday and has a Whipet in the back row far right flown by James Shell. I think they have a longer wing for SSC right now.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:31 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
wow, another cool pict from the past!

my zero and FW190, I think I had the bearcat there also

the semi scale warbirds for SSc sure were fun! the texan was my favorite and Pete could never get me!! LOL
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:35 PM
central CA
Joined Aug 2002
347 Posts
Quote:
No HOR's have made the field for a while. It just takes someone wanting to build them. The Gremlin looks interesting as an option for an easy build.

Here is what build parties will get you....Pilots!!! Don't expect a crowd like this right now. They are still flying though.
April 2010
since you have coro Dave, the sickle from spad to the bone is basicly a gremlin.
its a really easy build, i just might do one for open, still kicking around what Im gona bring down
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
921 Posts
For Open B I still have several OS 25fx's with Proppy Jon's Mousse cans, would that power set up still be competitive (not that my thumb is )?

Are the Open B ships being run mostly with or without combat cans? Boy, it WAS fun flying with the cans, but I am sure my reflexes have slowed down (along with everything else ).

I think I also have several Mag 15s. Just need an airframe. Maybe I will just build the 152s and fly in Open B without the cans, and then as I get my skills (as feeble as they were ) back up to combat level, I can then add the cans. Somebody needs to be a target, it might as well be me )

Went out to the shop and measured the 152s wings and I estimate they are 448 sq in with a 64" ws. Is the 400 sq in a min or max?

These kits are nicely done using pink foam and EPP leading edges.

After looking at the photo more closely, I do see James holding up a SPAD. It looks like the 48 inchers that I use to fly. I used both gutter pipe and then later coro fuses. I can build one of those blind folded LOL!

Thanks for all the info Mig Man,

SpadCat
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Aug 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added lines of text