HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:15 AM
EASILY ANNOYED
United States, MI, New Buffalo
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Discussion
FPV Camera for Aerial Cinematography

Anybody care to share their favorite setups for the camera, wireless transmission, and monitor. We are about to outfit a few MultiCopters for aerial video and I would really like to hear what has worked best for you. Example; Use a dedicated fpv camera or use the live video out on main camera? Do you use video goggles or a monitor? Assuming we are using 2.4 ghz radio, what frequency you prefer for wireless video? This will be relatively short range commercial and residential real estate work in Michigan and Mexico. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
zuby1 is offline Find More Posts by zuby1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuby1 View Post
Anybody care to share their favorite setups for the camera, wireless transmission, and monitor. We are about to outfit a few MultiCopters for aerial video and I would really like to hear what has worked best for you. Example; Use a dedicated fpv camera or use the live video out on main camera? Do you use video goggles or a monitor? Assuming we are using 2.4 ghz radio, what frequency you prefer for wireless video? This will be relatively short range commercial and residential real estate work in Michigan and Mexico. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I don't care to share mine.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
EASILY ANNOYED
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
I don't care to share mine.
But, why not?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
But, why not?
I hate Real Estate Brokers, I really do.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Sure, I'll jump in her. First off this venture is a 2 man job because one needs to fly the aircraft and that requires its own set of skills. The camera operator can use a monitor (laptop or cheap LDC monitor) and the camera operator flys the camera and that takes skill also. IMO the aircraft pilot and camera man should be close to each other so that verbal directions can be given to the pilot.

Frequency wise I have tried them all 1.2, 2.4 & 5.8 and from my own experience and from my research that 1.2 gHz is the bests way to go period. With my ground station I am just using the stock whip antenna and have not experienced any drop out, it is IMO the best frequency to use.

We use video goggles and a laptop but the laptop needs a sun visor like the ones sold by hoodman in the USA to elliminate screen glare.

There are folks here that fo it as a one man operation I dont put them down but a good two man team is hard to beat.

Hope this shines a little light your direction!

CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
EASILY ANNOYED
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose View Post
Sure, I'll jump in her. First off this venture is a 2 man job because one needs to fly the aircraft and that requires its own set of skills. The camera operator can use a monitor (laptop or cheap LDC monitor) and the camera operator flys the camera and that takes skill also. IMO the aircraft pilot and camera man should be close to each other so that verbal directions can be given to the pilot.

Frequency wise I have tried them all 1.2, 2.4 & 5.8 and from my own experience and from my research that 1.2 gHz is the bests way to go period. With my ground station I am just using the stock whip antenna and have not experienced any drop out, it is IMO the best frequency to use.

We use video goggles and a laptop but the laptop needs a sun visor like the ones sold by hoodman in the USA to elliminate screen glare.

There are folks here that fo it as a one man operation I dont put them down but a good two man team is hard to beat.

Hope this shines a little light your direction!

CG
Thanks CG. it seems as though you have enough experience to recommend specific hardware; fpv camera and wireless tx & rx. Can you recommend any manufacturers? I'd prefer to buy something made in the US versus China. That's one of the reasons we chose to go with Hoverfly flight controllers.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
EASILY ANNOYED
Joined Aug 2011
152 Posts
Quote:
I hate Real Estate Brokers, I really do.
I hear ya. I can't stand most of them either. In general, they are almost as bad as lawyers. Of course, I'm one of the few exceptions.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Thanks CG. it seems as though you have enough experience to recommend specific hardware; fpv camera and wireless tx & rx. Can you recommend any manufacturers? I'd prefer to buy something made in the US versus China. That's one of the reasons we chose to go with Hoverfly flight controllers.
I can tell you what we are using, thats not to say there is better as no doubt there is but do some research at DPreview.com
Camera-using Canon S95 for still and video. The S95 has been updated by the S100.

1.2 gHz tx/rx http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...index&cPath=75 Yes it's made in the Orient but is very good equipment, I have used Lawmate for a number of years and have not had a problem.

As far as a monitor goes I bought a 7" LCD off ebay for $30 again, made off shore.

Monitor shades http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

Just send me a PM if you have any questions.

CG
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
I hear ya. I can't stand most of them either. In general, they are almost as bad as lawyers. Of course, I'm one of the few exceptions.
LOL
I am sure you are. I use 1.2GHz as well but I do it as a one man show mainly because no one wants to pay me enough for a 2 man operation yet.
I did this video by myself.
Oceanville Brandywine Brick (1 min 31 sec)
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Nicely done Tarro, how are you getting on with roll settings on gimbals. Im struggling a bit here and notice guys like Jeff Scholl dont worry too much about roll compensation and just rely on great flying technique
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:06 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I use 1.2-1.3ghz for my FPV gear and a dedicated CCD camera. I use the Pixum SeaWolf line of cameras with a res of 690 lines.

I have my sony nex-5n on a gimbal and when I fly with out a camera operator (99% of the time) I just guestimate where the tilt should be based on my FPV view from the CCD camera.

I can get fairly close
Aerial Video of 3D Scratch Built 3D foamy Sony Nex-5n Fresno Field HoverFly (3 min 48 sec)

I do have a 5.8ghz set of gear to transmit the Live view out of my Nex-5 but it needs the bulky HDMI-Analog converter which is a PITA.

I just bought a 1g CCD camera that I am going to mount to the hot shoe on the Nex-5 instead and see how that works out.

I have 2 7"" LCD monitors (1 for each frequency and camera) and a set of goggles (fatshark bases) for flying with.

I am just really getting started and I am still building my ground station and 2nd Y-6 to carry my 2 gimbals.

so take my suggestion with a grain of salt..... or a ton of salt.

I found 5.8ghz unreliable in comparison to 1.3ghz and make sure to use CP (circular polarized) antennas

like these
http://www.truerc.net/canada/index.p...cPath=30_31_36
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Nicely done Tarro, how are you getting on with roll settings on gimbals. Im struggling a bit here and notice guys like Jeff Scholl dont worry too much about roll compensation and just rely on great flying technique
I don't use roll stablization at all.
Thanks
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:44 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,812 Posts
Quote:
LOL
I am sure you are. I use 1.2GHz as well but I do it as a one man show mainly because no one wants to pay me enough for a 2 man operation yet.
I did this video by myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FS0...bdNnqTTI80g%3D
WOW that is one silky smooth video and what a mansion!!
CG