HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,855 Posts
Discussion
New Video: Flips and Spins with Le Fish Light

Here is a video from this past weeks flying at Mormon Lake Overlook. I had just replaced the tail group of my Le Fish Light with something a little different. The vertical stab and rudder were much more low aspect and had about 60 of throw both ways. The horizontal stab had lightening holes cut behind the spar and additional counter weights added to the LE... balancing the stab fore and aft. I liked the changes. The new rudder seemed to help with stall maneuvers... especially the spins and the H-Stab never fluttered.

Dawson

Flips and Spins with Le Fish Light (2 min 47 sec)
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Pretty strong conditions, must've been at least 20-25? That's tough with such a light plane

The negative spin beginning at 1:45 was really cool... didn't hardly lose any altitude and just pirouetted around the nose. Super interesting!

The new rudder looks cool and seems to be very effective.

Love the kicker at the end... never stop flying until it's on the ground... for a while!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Awesome :-D Those flips are getting better and better when they're combined with the spins
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:29 PM
Jim in San Diego
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,104 Posts
Dawson, I am so jealous of your flying site and your skills. I really laughed out loud when you did those spins and didn't look to be losing any altitude. And the floops. Niiiice.

Between you, Steve, Swiss Peter and a few others I'm looking forward to getting more use out of my left thumb

Thanks,
Jim
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:23 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Dawson I've added a post about this video to SlopeAerobatics

http://www.slopeaerobatics.com/2012/...ght-by-dawson/

Really nice, I can't wait to come check this site (and the craters) out!!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
265 Posts
Wow! Absolutely inspired and inspirational! It’s fascinating to watch how fast VTPR planes and technique are evolving.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary View Post
Wow! Absolutely inspired and inspirational! It’s fascinating to watch how fast VTPR planes and technique are evolving.
Agreed! While the flying Dawson is doing here isn't VTPR - it was clearly waaay too blustery to get close to the ground - it does show that a lightweight plane intended for VTPR can obviously still fly "normal" (or what's become normal since the revolution of last year ) aerobatics with grace and aplomb - even in strong conditions.

The news about the horizontal stabilizer not fluttering in those conditions, where the plane is really going fast (compared to our typical light lift VTPR flying especially), is fantastic news. Having a stabilizer with enough travel to allow flips while also making sure that it doesn't flutter at high speed has been a persistent engineering problem the experimenters in this area have faced.

It sounds like, once again, Dawson is on to something here (he also contributed the innovative pulley system which has proven extremely successful for these lightweight, flexible planes).

So not only does Dawson contribute fantastic videos, he persists in testing innovative ideas that provide real solutions towards making this kind of flying more accessible. I'm a huge fan!!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by surfimp; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
1,374 Posts
You all wanna slow down a notch? Im waiting for epp to arrive :-)
QUIKSILVER is offline Find More Posts by QUIKSILVER
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
265 Posts
Thanks… Steve, Dawson!
It was Mr. Hendersons video “Dream-Flight Weasel Evolution flying "Mellow" at Mormon Lake Overlook, 05/19/09 that got us started using Weasels for research.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:57 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Wow...some great stuff there Dawson...some things I have never seen before like a roll into a flatspin...more than once. You keep raising the bar...there is no way to catch up.

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
I worry more and more that NASA, the CIA, NSA or The Men in Black are gonna' kidnap Dawson and we lose our greatest source of inspiration and video entertainment. Somebody plant a tracking chip in this guy!!

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,855 Posts
Thanks for all the positive comments. It is appreciated.

It was a fun condition that day... 15-20+ mph blowing straight into the right side mini-bowl. The lift is pretty vertical there... especially in the juicy spots. It is much easier to fly a light glider in vertical lift (as opposed to low angle slopes)... if you stay aggressive. However when you miss a move you can get spit out pretty quick (as in my "landing" sequence).

I was so happy to get that crazy inverted spin on video. It was pure serendipity. I was practicing lots of spin combinations and that time a strong blast of lift (thermal?) refused to let my glider descend... so I was able to get in a number of revolutions... just hanging there. There were a few folks watching me fly at the time and we all burst into laughter after that spin. (This makes a good case to always fly with the GoPro... you never know when something "special" is going to happen.)

I have attached a couple pics of the new v-stab and modified h-stab.

The inspiration for the low aspect rudder came from John's and Dan's "Shark" gliders... not as fishy as their rudders but a big change from my traditional VTPR style rudder.

My full flying "Mad" H-Stab is made from 6mm sheet EPP (1.9 lb) and covered with 1.7 mil laminate. I cut holes in the foam behind the spar and added about 12 grams of lead/copper to the LE to get her balanced fore and aft. So far not flutter!

Paige: Regarding catching up... I hope you get a chance to fly with some of the other IYF/VTPR folks. It was crazy at WeaselFest... so much energy and great flying. It was cool to see all the pilots and gliders. I think everyone left feeling energized and very motivated to push slope aerobatics forward... into the unknown.

Regards,

Dawson
dawsonh is online now Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:41 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonh View Post
Paige: Regarding catching up... I hope you get a chance to fly with some of the other IYF/VTPR folks. It was crazy at WeaselFest... so much energy and great flying. It was cool to see all the pilots and gliders. I think everyone left feeling energized and very motivated to push slope aerobatics forward... into the unknown.
+1,000,000,000,000

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:02 PM
Planes dress doors...
Australia, QLD, Kippa-Ring
Joined Mar 2011
667 Posts
Hey Dawson, forgive me if i've missed it - but what was the elevator throw you had?
Rhys Porter is offline Find More Posts by Rhys Porter
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys Porter View Post
Hey Dawson, forgive me if i've missed it - but what was the elevator throw you had?
About like this:

Mad Elevator Using Pulleys (0 min 30 sec)

Steve
RCG Plus Member