Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:51 PM
Cadcyg
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Apr 2011
188 Posts
Help!
When do lipos go bad?

I made this video to show you what the group of bad lipos did to the sound of the motor before cutting out. These Lipos have not been charged or used since October of 2011. This was due to work related issues. I balanced and charged each battery tonight before going flying to discover why the plane would cut out in mid flight. This test is conducted after that encounter.
Question is.
Is it time to get new lipos for the stock motor of this um?
Is there a way to fix these lipos?
Could it be the charger/balancer?
Feel free to comment and offer good suggestions for replacement batteries if that is the case.

Batteries used are Eflite 3.7 150 mah 12c- Hyperion 1s 3.7v 25c 160 mah

Lipo battery packs gone bad? (2 min 27 sec)
cadcyg is online now Find More Posts by cadcyg
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,021 Posts
That's called low voltage cut off.

It's PROGRAMMED into the rx to let you know when the battery is low so you can land the plane. Cutting the throttle part way will usually give you enough time to land safely.

I put numbers on my batteries so I know which ones are no longer performing.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:19 PM
Cadcyg
Joined Apr 2011
188 Posts
Would you suggest it could be the lot of the batteries have gone bad? Do you know of a good favorite brand besides the ones I listed, that has held up over a long time?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,021 Posts
Lipos are best stored at half charge. Mine see to last a couple of years.

I've got an on-board video of landing in the water when a lipo died while I was out over a lake, so it does happen and at the worst times!

Edit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94#post6215370

Notice that there was no warning at all. I just couldn't maintain altitude. That's why Spektrum pulses the motor as a warning.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Apr 22, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,749 Posts
mine seem to last just over a year. tho i abuse them, and fly in the summer when its 105 out side on a nice cool day.

mostly test each one in flight and if the plane seems funny, dump the battery.
some of mine have gone bad but still hold a charge well ehough. something about the old lipos give my cheaper RX's glitches and jitters and sometimes freezes.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Cadcyg
Joined Apr 2011
188 Posts
I do have on order one of them little battery readers for these little lipos. At least I have three good batteries out of 9 bad ones. Any suggestions for a brand to order? Being here in Texas it is very hard to fly these micros when I want too. I have to fly when I have days off and at the same time little to no wind. In the western part of Texas this is pretty much non existent.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
You can hear the LiPo dive-bombing as the prop spins- The RPM reduction as voltage decreases is noticeable.

The cell may just be bad, you may have pulled too many amps from it in a crash, or shorted it out briefly at some point. Best to just toss it
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P