SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:07 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Gallery
Nanuk-945 Travel Quad

Since jumping into multirotors I have been venturing into a lot of not so easy to access areas. Scaling down wooded hillsides with equipment is a real pain! I decided to design a Quad around the Nanuk-945 pro case. I dont like folding frames and I want something simple. This Quad has a quick relase landing gear that maintains orientation on the main frame with a special ply locator. Details are in the video clip. This Nanuk-945 case is very high quality and a pretty good buy at $160.00. The Quad has an AUW with camera and pack of 1705 grams, (about 3.75lbs) and is very stable at this weight and size. The case layout took a bit of planning, so far it appears to work very well. I can setup in less than three min. Check out my video clip, the case can be used as a landing pad

Here are the specs of my system as well as a video clip:

Custom quad frame
Modified AGL landing gear
RC Tiger 2216 800 kv motors
DJI Naza controller
APC-SF 12-3.8 Props
Turnigy 25 amp ESC's
Sony NEX-5n
Single 3s 2200-2100 packs
5.5 min flight time
1705 grams AUW flying with camera.
Quanum Telemetry
Downlink

Enjoy..

Nanuk Travel system Quad (7 min 0 sec)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/40830651" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Last edited by power; May 05, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
looks good. do you find that the smaller MTM quads with big motors are less stable that same AUW but longer arms?
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:10 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I used to think that was the case. Not so sure now as this quad is as stable as my longer arm version.

Mike
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
cool, that is good to know
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I used to think that was the case. Not so sure now as this quad is as stable as my longer arm version.

Mike
I come to the same conclusion. Bigger is not always better.

Nice looking setup there Mike.

A few comments.

1) For my use I need a backpack because I need two hands to hang on to tree branch and roots to balance myself. So a hard case like that will not be practical. I really need to make a backpack for myself. This Nanuk will be great for traveling outer island.

2) What is that long thing in the back of the quad? Won't that give you resonance problem?

3) I love the way you have the tilt built into the AGL Hobbies CM1 landing gear. I may copy your design.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:52 AM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
Nanuk-945 Travel Quad

I'm thinking there are more economical ways of toasting marshmallows, so my guess is that the "attachment" is an aid for orientation?

Do you have a "detailed" build thread for this rig or the larger version?

Nice job and BTW: I just love your contributions, to the hobby/biz and the forums.

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:32 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Thanks guys,

The long thing sticking out the back is in fact for orientaion. This single stick adds a shape while in the air that is crazy visible. I have taken the quad up so high now that all I can make out is this stick. It helps so much I almost feel lost when flying my larger quad that does not have it. This really aids when lining up the shot. It is a carbon tube with a small cylinder of EPP gorrilla glued on the end. It is wrapped with orange monocote trim sheet. After it is inserted into the end hole a small strip of velcro locks it down. I can post more details and PDF's as I do have cad files. I need to clean up some details first.

Seismic,

The mount design has been working extremely well. We have three setups like this now. I tried a pile of different cam mounts on Rustys gear but none impressed me. This one is simple, basically three pieces. It gives me all the angles I need, and the clearance to work around the camera controls. It is also very light but solid. I used ripped down clear cedar decking rail for material. .750 square. Cedar is very strong but light. The arms on the quad are the same material wrapped in monokote trimsheeting.

As far as the resonating goes, I have not seen anything. It just goes along for the ride. Even when smacking the yaw back and forth quickly I can't see it move.

Mike
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Mar 2011
93 Posts
superb ... travel kit ...

eagerly awaiting the detail

crazyhorse21
crazyhorse21 is offline Find More Posts by crazyhorse21
Old May 05, 2012, 11:09 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
I like my custom wood case quad so much I decided to modify my AGL quad frame to fit in the case as well. I lost over 5oz in this process so it was well worth the effort. I used aircraft ply paddle type motor mouts in place of the AGL clamp mounts and screws. This alone saved over two oz. The new mounts are super simple and easy to install. The cam mount/gear is mounted in pretty much the same way as the wood frame. A single 1/4-20 carriage bolt through the center frame. I used one of the square G-10 plates to plug the hole on the top frame plate. It can be bolted and drilled with little effort. The center hole gets filed to accept the square of the bolt head.

Ignore the power up portion at the end I am sending this clip to a friend that may be buying the entire system and I wanted to show the sequence.

Anyway...here is another option that will fit in the Nanuk case

Mike

Nanuk case quad "AGL" frame (7 min 51 sec)

Old May 07, 2012, 12:13 PM
Jason Sosa now a DLG junkie
United States, AL, Clanton
Joined Aug 2010
57 Posts
Nicely done, and like crazyhorse21 eagerly awaiting the details
evel_knievel34 is offline Find More Posts by evel_knievel34
Old May 20, 2012, 05:59 AM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
If anyone is interested I have one of my case quad systems for sale. Need to fund another project

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1655857

Mike