HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2006
76 Posts
Had an "original" Kadet - like the one in the posts above as a trainer. Flew it through trees...into trees...into the ground...into a car...patched it up each time and kept flying. Great trainer...had an Enya .40 in the nose - great engine as well! Thanks for the plans, and the memory!!
Couch-pilot is offline Find More Posts by Couch-pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:19 AM
South Africa, GP, Krugersdorp
Joined May 2011
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
The plan for the Kadet
Thanks pd1. I've had a Kadet Seniorita for 10 years now that has taught several people, including my wife how to fly. The fuse is a bit worn out and fuel soaked but the wings are still fine.

This is a great plane to learn on as well as to have a relaxed day of flying.

Good one!

Sr. Falcon
SrFalcon is offline Find More Posts by SrFalcon
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:08 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmettoflyer View Post
Would it be possible to get the Kadet manual pages assembled into one pdf file?
Would be a lot easier for people to save and view.
Thanks again,
Changed from JPG to individual PDF with CutePDF
http://www.cutepdf.com/
Merged PDFs into one file with MergePDF Online
http://foxyutils.com/mergepdf/
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:30 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,134 Posts
Cessna 180

Let's have more plans. Here's another fine full-size scan done by theshadow, just came in today. Cessna 180 from Hobby Helpers sheet 1163, dated 1963. Span is 42in. For single channel RC and a Cox TeeDee .049
WMD is offline Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:14 AM
Coming home to Canada soon
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2002
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Let's have more plans. Here's another fine full-size scan done by theshadow, just came in today. Cessna 180 from Hobby Helpers sheet 1163, dated 1963. Span is 42in. For single channel RC and a Cox TeeDee .049
That is just a superb plan. It printed out just as neat as a new pin. Now, lets see, 5 channel including flaps, super micro radio... should be great!

Mark.
Mark Winstanley is offline Find More Posts by Mark Winstanley
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:36 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,071 Posts
The plan is beautiful but not accurate. It is semi-scale or "stand-off" scale as they used to call this type of model years ago. It should be compared with the Berkeley Cessna 180 free flight design (by Paul del Gatto) which is quite precise!! Sterling also had a Cessna 180. Their design was also more to scale than the Hobby Helpers design. Just a piece of information!!!
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,346 Posts
The Cessna 180, at 42" span is near identical in size and layout to Goldberg 1/2A Skylane. Skylane appears to have a thicker airfoil and flew quite well on Babe Bee or Golden Bee .049. I would think the 180, with a TEE DEE.049, would provide stellar performance!

I would tend to think both the Skylane and the 180 are more correctly known as "semi-scale" designs. Later, "stand-off" scale , became common, which evolved into "sport scale".

Of course I could have remembered it wrong.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Last edited by packardpursuit; Jun 02, 2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: to fix da woids
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,174 Posts
a lot of the sterling models, like the cub and tripacer had a stab 40% of the wing area and were referred to as stand way off scale.

re: skylane, I had one in '65 with a heavily worn golden bee with the tank drilled out on the side and a fuel line out to an eye dropper that gave a 20 second run. we launched after 10 seconds for a 10 second motor run.
Darn thing hooked a thermal on the 4th or 5th flight and we never saw it again...

the 1/2A skylane, if built even kind of light is a wonderful flyer. ours was silk painted with aerogloss metalic maroon dope and had a controlaire mule single channel radio, that worked about 10% of the time.

Nick
taildragger1589 is online now Find More Posts by taildragger1589
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bitty Stampe
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:32 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,071 Posts
You are right!!! The Goldberg Skylane (Cessna name was not included, do you know why? I do!!!!) was a wonderful flyer. I built one in 1966, powered with a Cox Golden Bee as a free flight. Couldn't afford Rc at that time. It flew beautifully as all Goldberg designs. And yes, they were all near scale. Those were the days!! when after some flying or building we listened to The Beatles!!!
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:10 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Goldberg Skylane 42
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3560
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,098 Posts
I believe that at one time, the enlarged stab/elevator was very common in control line, ff, and rc because it was felt the scale size would contribute to some instability. Ond probably once in a while, they were correct. Still see this on a lot of rubber free flight scale.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:46 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
You are right!!! The Goldberg Skylane (Cessna name was not included, do you know why? I do!!!!) was a wonderful flyer. I built one in 1966, powered with a Cox Golden Bee as a free flight. Couldn't afford Rc at that time. It flew beautifully as all Goldberg designs. And yes, they were all near scale. Those were the days!! when after some flying or building we listened to The Beatles!!!
I know you were really lusting over those radios, but believe me; you really saved a lot of time and money in '66 by doing without.
I never had a controlled flight til I got a Kraft 4 ch (with the new 1.5 oz. mini servos) (For only $495.00 )

My first successful single channel (two years after the Kraft, I still lusted to see a skylane fly under *my* control) was with an Ace GG and mini actuator flopping the rudder around. Sounded pretty cool after the engine quit. The flopping sound helped me find it in the weeds more than once.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,071 Posts
I agree with you about those early radios. My first one was a Sterling Command Master single channel. It worked only a couple of times!!!! My next radio was a luxurious Micro Avionics proportional, green box with gigantic Orbit servos. Quite reliable, I must say. My first and only plane with that radio was a Sr. Falcon. Next radio was a Kraft Gold Medal. Very unreliable. It crashed me two airplanes!! I sold it and then got an Orbit 6-12 still with monumental servos but was very realible. My first miniature radio was the fantastic EK Logictrol. Then I passed to Futaba and I still use this fantastic brand together with a USD$20.00 4 channel 2.4G from Hobby King. Times change!!!!!!
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Joined Feb 2005
2,174 Posts
I think my Kraft was the gold medal too, Yellow with round chrome gimbles. Servos were always failing, but I lucked out, The Kraft rep lived in our town and did waranty replacements.
(I think he did about 5 before I sold it) fortunately out of the 3 airplanes I had it in, only one crashed from it. (a sterling P-63) Then I too got the wonderful EK set. The one with the servo amps in the Rx. It was the blue one sold by Hobby Lobby, Only $199.00 with 4 servos!!!! It never failed once!!!!
really spoiled me.
Fortunately, I progressed into Airtronics, three of them, then JR which had a 10 model memory and GWS low cost airborn packs and electric power!
Life is seriously good!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:36 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,071 Posts
Yes, your set was the Gold Medal. You are absolutely right when you say Hobby Lobby was an EK. It was made in México!! To be precise, in the city of Matamoros. It meant low labour costs. Mr. Krause (The "K" of EK) told me that he believed that radios could be assembled in Latin America thus saving in labour costs and thus, sell at a more competitive price.(China was still a full communist country with no free market or factories from the West) He succeeded!! EK radios were cheap and beautifully made and very reliable. He should have chosen Colombia and it would have been also a fantastic radio. I now use Futaba, but I know that nowadays ALL radio sets are wonderful and seldom fail!!