SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Joined Sep 2011
65 Posts
50+AirYears
Before anyone rushes into restoration work on the "Miss America .020-.049 RC Feb 1963 MAN", note that the plan is already in Outerzone as "Miss America RC", plan ID No 99.

Here is the article, cleaned and assembled

RogerC
rogerc41 is offline Find More Posts by rogerc41
Last edited by rogerc41; Aug 03, 2012 at 07:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:42 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Scanning services near Lorain Ohio
http://44052.zipslocal.com/Scanning_Service.html
http://www.yellowpagesgoesgreen.org/...ating+Services
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Try another dozen.
I very often hear RC flyers talk about how an RC model "Feels" while flying. I fly FF, CL, and RC. Only type of plane I really have a "Feel" with while flying naturally is the CL type model. Because of the feel, with a small wood square under my feet for a guide, I've been able to fly CL from release through landing (naturally, not with a full tank), including some mild manuevers like loops and wingovers with my eyes shut for the entire flight. Ringmasters and Flite Streaks for that, mostly..
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:07 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Third Dozen. I think I previously posted one plane from this book, the Ted Strader P-51 Mustang from the (March 1958) Flying Models. Took only about 25 years to complete it, due to a few interuptions like college, 4 years in the USAF, marriage, starting a family, couple carreer changes, further education, minor things like that. It was a kick showing people at the club field the inside, with a balsa component showing Testor's 1/8" X 3" X 36" Balsa, $0.25. In 1985. Decent flyer, but the plans showed a K&B .09 and an 8-4 prop, Babcock 465 mHZ multi-tube brick of a reciever, and a Babcock SE-2m escapement driving rudder and kick-up elevator. I went with a muchh lighter Pro-Line 4 channel proportional and an OS Max .30 RC. They claim you can't overpower an RC plane. This one was. Wouldn't slow down enough for a safe landing with the engine running at it's lowest sustainable idle, at least on grass. And that Max .30 was not a powerhouse with the throttle.
A problem I had with the mustang was that I scaled up the fuse sides fromthe original magazine article, and copied the full sized patterns from the back pages. When I cut out the formers, I found out about the distortion copiers used to put into things. Formers came out undersize. So actually did the stab and elevator, but not the rudder or fin.
The Navigator was kited by Jetco for a while.
I always wanted to try the Mother Hawk-Squack Hawk, a Jetex 50 powered rocket FF that rode piggy-back on a larger Jetex 150 powered FF model. The 50 had a long wick spliced into the 150 wick close to the 150 nozzle.
I've always been kind of fascinated by indoor rubber microfilm planes. Something about the challenge in the FAI size to build a model with a 36" or bigger wing that weighs just a gram or three ready to fly, which can stay airborne for well over a half hour just on a fine rubber band. Only built one microfilm plane, a little thing, 5" wing, for fly power. The nest lightest plane I built was a Micro-X EZ Bee, I was proud to get it just slightly under 4 grams. Then I had the opportunity to visit Jerry Skrjank's house (and Micro-X factory in his basement) and see his, at less than 3 grams.
Also for something a little bit different, the Square 8, a .29 powered Free Flight Helicopter.
I've been thinking that Temco TT-1 semi scale stunter should really be fun to build, with so much block carving. And expensive.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:31 AM
Ελλάδα, Ανατολική Μακεδονία Θράκη, Βιστωνίδα
Joined Jul 2006
674 Posts
Hi Fin.

A beautiful plane from MAN magazine, March 1965.
Scanning and initial publication by the 50+AirYears.
Second post Restored and Scaling by me.

Elijah.
hlsat is online now Find More Posts by hlsat
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:37 AM
Joined Jul 2006
674 Posts
Junkers D-1

Another historical scale plane of AAM magazine November 1968.
The escalation was made by the wing dihedral angle 1.5 inch.
Scanning and initial publication by the 50+AirYears.
Second post Restored and Scaling by me.

Elijah.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:40 AM
Dog is my co-pilot
Joined Jan 2004
1,005 Posts
Thanks for all those plans, 50+AirYears. Really some classy stuff in Decade of Designs.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Glad to see plans I've submitted being cleaned up. Hope at least some of them even get built.
It's always a good thing to preserve history.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:50 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Glad to see plans I've submitted being cleaned up. Hope at least some of them even get built.
50+, do you remember when and where you posted the Hi Fin scan? I'm searching the index, but I can't find it. I would like to see the original scan, very much
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:21 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
50+, do you remember when and where you posted the Hi Fin scan? I'm searching the index, but I can't find it. I would like to see the original scan, very much
Look at post #160, July 1st this thread.
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Aug 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Look at post #160, July 1st this thread.
Thanks. Interesting to see the quality of the original scan, and then compare it against the beautiful restored plan

That is fantastic technique. I would never have imagined a finished plan of such clarity, such sharpness, could be produced from that original scan. It's magical. It's almost as if there is actually more resolution and more detail in the restoration than there was in the original scan. That's incredible work. I am awestruck. I honestly do not know anyone else who is capable of restoration work quite like that.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Can I edit a lot of your plans.
He allows them to continue here?

Elijah.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Jul 2006
674 Posts
Prophet.

I have no response from 50+Air Years to plans yet, but a beautiful design is ready.

Elijah.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:01 AM
Got Foam?
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Sep 2011
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsat View Post
Prophet.

I have no response from 50+Air Years to plans yet, but a beautiful design is ready.

Elijah.
Great work Elijah!
You have a way of making a line drawing look like CAD.It's the best of both types of plans. I don't know how you do it but you deserve much praise for your effort.
If you have a Biplane scan in this format let me know, I might go as far as hanging one on the shop wall just to admire...
Thanks for all of your work, Mark
mjcmyers is online now Find More Posts by mjcmyers