HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:29 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Hey, WMD. I found the mag with that DH-2 plan. Sometime in the next day or two I'll try to get it rescanned and reposted.
Doesn't it seem a bit weird that the DH-1 was a two seater, for pilot and gunner/observer, while the DH-2 had a fixed gun and only a pilot?
Outstanding. That's great. Thanks. Yes, it does seem backwards the numbering, but I guess thats just the order they were produced in. I think the DH1 was a more general purpose machine but the following DH2 was a proper fighter - and was very successful against the Fokkers in 1915 by all accounts.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:35 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears View Post
Thermaler, don't be affraid of anybody being offended by your cleaning up a file. Anybody who'd be offended by something like that deserves to be sentenced to do a HALO from a C-130 - without a parachute.
I might have the software packages to do some of that clean-up, but between trying to fit the scanning and posting with the processing into PDF format, and sorting, cleaning, and packing for a probable move to another state, I find my time is limited.
Thank you for the encouragement 50+! It was partly for the original posters I will do cleaning for and partly for any one that may have rights to them. Best to let me know so I can remove it rather than all the silly stuff that goes on when people don't communicate.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:29 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,611 Posts
twin trainer out line

Here’s a twin trainer taken from a ¼ page drawing. Sorry, but the “detail shown” is all there is. Anyway, you get the basic layout. Most of us add/change to suit what we have at hand. I’m sure an EB buyer will be real happy with such a detailed plan! The rest of us will do what ever we want, given that this is free.
Speaking of twins, I just got my (BH electric) 60 inch P38 up on its first flight. Flies better than a trainer type model. Actually goes exactly where you point it!
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:53 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
678 Posts
MAN Field & Bench Article

Anyone have a copy of the MAN issue with the Sterling Mambo Special and Command Master radio reviews? Thanks in advance.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Going to send a few more in here.
Starting with a CL scale model, the Mistel with an FW-190. Early guided missle, old German bombers were fitted to carry a fighter, which guided the combo to a target. The fighter then (Hopefully) separated from the bomber, leaving the bomber to crash into the target. In this MAN plan, the plans for the FW-190 is complete, but the article refers the reader to a previous issue to get the wing for the JU-88.
Then I'll follow with a couple Walt Mooney Peanut Rubber scale planes, the Druine Turbulent, and the Lockheed Lil Dipper, an attempt to produce a personal private plane. Just thought of something. Will Lockheed pursue licensing fees for using the corporate name and the planes name?
Then a Mooney version of the Pilatus Porter Not sure, I might have previously uploaded an American Aircraft Modeler plan that combined both the short nose recip engined version, and a longer nose turboprop version.
Then I'll finish this post with an RC scale Moraine Saulnier for small engines and single channel. Call-out on the plans is for a .5 to .75 cc diesei (.030 to /046) and single channel rudder only, so I imagine any .049 Glow Engine would work. Plan is from an old Grid Leaks.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Let's send a few more.
A controlline Stunter version of the P-51 by Claire Seiverling. From the looks, Sig adapted it for their CL kit of ome years ago.
Then the Neutino, a sort of Delta RC job with straight wing stubs. Used a .45, desgner didn't reccommend anything bigger. 5 pounds or less weight. Just niticed that while I did overlap the center sections of the pages, the center details didn't show up. Apparently the center fold covered the center, but someone building it from scratch probably can figure out the engine area and center section from the isometric drawing and what is on the plans. The plans show a pushrod linlkage and bellcranks to set up the elevons, but with today's radios, a couple standard servos directly driving the elevons with elevon mixing should do wonders.
Neutrino is followed by Dave Roebellen's Prohet, for elevator-aileron with a TD .020. Kind of reminds me of a scaled down version of Bill Winter's old Rookie.
For a bit more pattern performance, Ralph Brooke's Crusader.
For a manueverable sport flyer, the RC Jay from Grid Leaks.
And to finish this morning (1:46 AM) I'll include one that I think was requested on the now Pre-1960 thread, Don Dewey's Royal Coachman. I have heard this was a good flyer, but I built mine from a Sterling kit that had their frequent Oak Hard (and heavy) simulated balsa, and I added an extra 4.5 ounce Controlaire servo to get rudder elevator and throttle from the Contolaire 5 channel proportional radio, so that with a 2 pound+ airframe and roughly 23.5 ounce radio weight, the Fox .15 RC engine just couldn't get it off the ground. And I never had the guts to try a hand launch with a hevy plane and heavy transmitter.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
50+

T'anks for the memories! Those Mooney designs certainly had my attention back then. However, my "rememberer" ain't what it used to be so I may be in error. With that in mind I'll state that I don't think those models are stricly peanuts, but slightly larger 14-16" span range. Peanut scale, as an event and category may have been taking off about 1965 but didn;t become a nationwide then worldwide craze until about 1967. IIRC, 13" Peaunut was originally a Flying Aces Club concept from a couple of well known modelers. Again, IIRC,it was Bill Hannan who introduce the concept to greater American attention via his Bellanca design and article in M.A.N.('67?) Mooney certainly took up the torch and his monthly designs in Model builder are legend.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:42 PM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
I hope I don't offend anybody but I took the liberty of cleaning this one up and resizing it.
If it does, please let me know and I will remove it.

Joe
Great job, thanks, very much appreciated.
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
i've only measured a few of the Mooney plans, and have found some of what he labeled as Peanuts were roughly on, some were as much as almost 2 inches short on wingspan, and at least one was almost 15" Span. Assuming Walt new the requirements for Peanut when it came in, I'd almost imagine that some of the discrepancies came into being during the process of setting up the magazine centerfold printing. In fact, sometimes a stringer supposed to be 1/16th, or a 1" wheel, or maybe a 5.5" prop, are off. Never paid much attention, since I really didn''t fly competiton, but now since I started using TilePrint, I can make plans about any size I want. Really fun to use it when you have to reduce or increase the number of wing ribs.
I
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:48 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,103 Posts
Going to try to get a few more uploads here. Wanted to get these posted earlier, but got the wife a WiFi equipped laptop today, had a frustrating time trying to get the Wireless working. Going to talk to Geeksquad later today.
Start with the MAN CL Super P-38J, a contest winning CL scale model twin. Quite complex, especially wioth retract.
Don't THINK I saw it last time I checked the MAN plan site.
Second is a kind of cute CL thing for a pair of .049s, the Two Tuber. Kind of like a P-38, but made from some left over gift wrapping tubes.
Then, Woody Blanchard's U-All-2, a T tail Rudder-Elevator job for Galloping Ghost and a Cos TD .020. Might take some figuring to build a linkage to work that elevator in something so small. The system shown pulses the rudder direct, and the rudder drives the elevator in the GG format
Last, and my last submission for a while,not actually a plan, but rather an old Grid Leaks 2 page article on modifying the Kazmirski Orion as kitted by Top Flite to fly better with the then-new proportional radios than it did with the older reed outfits..
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,519 Posts
That P-38 was awsome! It appears the model was developed directly from Le Roy Weber's excellent scale drawings circa 1958. Accuracy is timeless and Mr. Weber's effort still shines. Probably still one of the most accurate scale drawings ever made available. Draftmanship is first rate as well. Something largely missed in today's CAD efforts.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:21 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,998 Posts
Thanks Thermaler, and 50+, there are so many small designs and I remember most of them. To bad I'm getting to old to build all of them.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:43 AM
UP ELEVATOR!!!! OOPS
Houston Tx.
Joined Jan 2006
92 Posts
More on the P-38
dhsmith1 is offline Find More Posts by dhsmith1
Last edited by dhsmith1; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:18 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,151 Posts
A Ray

I picked up this kit at an auction last week end.
I scanned and cleaned up the plans.
This was the 6 th plane from Aamco.
This one doesn't seem to come up very often.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1