HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which is the better TX ?
The DX6i is a better TX 17 51.52%
The Devo 7 iis a better TX 16 48.48%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,372 Posts
Poll
Poll--DX6i Vs Devo 7

Which is the better TX ?
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Last edited by TravisBean; Apr 22, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
The Devo 7 is a bit cumbersome to program, but it's much less expensive than the DX6i. The DX6i has much better customer support and a wider range of compatible bind and flys. Which is better really depends on whether you want to fly Walkera or E-Flite helis
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:07 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
The Digital Domain
Joined Nov 2008
1,372 Posts
It's a tie so far.
TravisBean is offline Find More Posts by TravisBean
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
I have both and if I could vote more than one time it would be
countless votes for the DX6i.
The Devo 7 doesn't have graphical curves for pitch and throttle curves
and the menus suck to get around in.
Once programmed the Devo 7 has been a good TX for me so far
minus the one I had go bad on me. Defective right ELEV stick pot.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:29 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
DX will fly any DSM2 from the last 3 years to the next 3 years. DEVO will fly products from the last 6 months to MAYBE the next 6 months, when it gets superceded and abandoned like the 28xx series was.

Horizon sells BNF. Walkera doesn't. Horizon transmitters are supported. Walkera transmitters are not. Horizon transmitters are back-compatible. Walkera transmitters are not.

Why is there even a question? Unless someone lives where Horizon is prohibitively priced.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:18 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611471

i'm far from being a fan of walkera life span of there hardware.
BUT now hardware has been opened up expect great things...Devo ?? running DMS/DMX

I'd go Devo now its opensource
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:40 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Remember too that even though it is programable, the Devo 7 is Walkera's base model Tx. In Walkeras lineup, it sits in the same place as the DX5e. For an apples to apples comparison, I'd think a Devo 6 or 8 would be a better match for the DX6i.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
The Devo 7 is only good if you intend to get just one Walkera heli, just as the stock DX4e with the MCPx.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
just to make this simple....

Devo ?? stock > Walkera rf only and not backward compatible(tossers) <<
Devo 'Whippet' > Walkera and in time all the old protocols (fungers crossed), enough time any Cypress Semiconductor base format can be added. And this is best bit most of it will software only, usb is built in so add programmer (cheap) your good to go.
DX?? > one format only same as stock but you can add modules for other formats so maybe in time Walkera module

Personally i'd go devo 8s Whippet if i was buying again today.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:02 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Remember too that even though it is programable, the Devo 7 is Walkera's base model Tx. In Walkeras lineup, it sits in the same place as the DX5e. For an apples to apples comparison, I'd think a Devo 6 or 8 would be a better match for the DX6i.
Yes I would agree - there is also the price difference - the devo 7 is the budget model of the walkera range like the Dx5E is to the spectrum range - the devo 6 vs the Dx6i would be a better and more balanced comparison.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I have a Devo 7 and it's pretty good for the money. I have 3 Walkera helis that it works with, so I've gotten my money's worth. If I would have bought a more expensive Devo model, I would have been concerned about future compatibility. On the DX6i, future compatibility doesn't worry me. I am more likely to buy from a LHS than online, too. So, despite likely my Devo 7, I had to vote for DX6i.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:22 AM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I have a Devo 7 and it's pretty good for the money. I have 3 Walkera helis that it works with, so I've gotten my money's worth. If I would have bought a more expensive Devo model, I would have been concerned about future compatibility. On the DX6i, future compatibility doesn't worry me. I am more likely to buy from a LHS than online, too. So, despite likely my Devo 7, I had to vote for DX6i.
Interesting points - yes Dx6i is a good tried and tested model but its also an old model - when will spectrum replace it ? will spectrum put in the new cutting edge technology such as computer updating ? and can you guarantee when they do there will be backwards compatibility - remember the Dx6 was incompatible with the Dx6i

Regards David
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
The latest Spectrum protocol, used on the current DX6i, is DSMX. It hasn't been out very long and is compatible with DSM2. I've been switching to quads where it's a lot easier to find Spectrum electronics than stuff that's Devo compatible, outside of the Ladybird and MX400.
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:08 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The latest Spectrum protocol, used on the current DX6i, is DSMX. It hasn't been out very long and is compatible with DSM2. I've been switching to quads where it's a lot easier to find Spectrum electronics than stuff that's Devo compatible, outside of the Ladybird and MX400.
DSMX is only part of the equation you would also need a state of the art Cristal ball and failing that a great deal of luck as well as judgment to know what the future will bring - there is telemetry and just how big a deal will that be in future models - at the very least computer updating to try and keep up with the future innovations

Regards David
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
DSMX is only part of the equation you would also need a state of the art Cristal ball and failing that a great deal of luck as well as judgment to know what the future will bring - there is telemetry and just how big a deal will that be in future models - at the very least computer updating to try and keep up with the future innovations

Regards David
That's kind of what drove me into quads. I got sick and tired of the helis and electronics I owned becoming obsolete. It's hard to beat a plywood frame. Never need to worry about parts or repairs.