SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2012, 09:57 PM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Me too.

Here is what I did today. Drove to grainger outlet to get paint, home dopot for hose and "stuff", cut Kevlar ( 2 hours) cut glass for wing skins (2 hours) and cut some glass for fuses. on top of cleaning up the patio.

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 03:49 AM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,049 Posts
OMG!!!......What happened to all the stuff you had stored on that bench?!!!

Matin
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old May 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
Slope Stud
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Long last few days...

I have been battling a cold or something and had Jim "baldyman" and Karl "UberZogster" down this weekend building Shrikes..
on Saturday a local Ron "laser100" came over to buy a plane and put him to work for a while and James "wr_mizzard" came by too.
Sunday Ward "Ward Hagaman" droped in to lend a hand but I had most everything done and was busy laying up shrike wings with Jim.
I got a nice surprise PM from Richard "rmoten" who stopped in to give me some CAMS he said he couldn't stay long but I talked him into laying up a Shrike fuse and an hour later he was gone.. I will post a picture of his fuse.

Still plenty of wing cores and parts to go around. I must admit I was thinking a lot more guys would be interested in building there own Shrike and because of the lack in interest I didn't take any pictures of this weekend. I think Karl is going to post the ones he took though.

Thursday is the big day when we pull the wings we layed up out of the bag..... I hope they turn out.

Now I am going to take a NAP.

Oranator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
rpm
United States, WA, Sequim
Joined Jan 2010
7 Posts
Thanks Oran, it does look cool from here. thank you taking the time with me on the fuse.learning new thing in this hobby is a blast,i would like to finish this bird very soon.
Oran,you are the man!!
Thanks so much,
Richard
rmoten is offline Find More Posts by rmoten
Old May 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,567 Posts
Oran, seriously, thanks for all the help and instruction, especially battling the bug, you still ran circles around us. Around me for sure. And you even managed to tolerate my terrible sense of humor and stories with no points.

It was fun and instructional. If anyone wants to know about all things TWF, ask Oran.

Anxious to see how terrible my wings came out!

Jim
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old May 22, 2012, 01:18 AM
Slope Stud
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoten View Post
Thanks Oran, it does look cool from here. thank you taking the time with me on the fuse.learning new thing in this hobby is a blast,i would like to finish this bird very soon.
Oran,you are the man!!
Thanks so much,
Richard
Richard,

Just PM me when you are available to come by.

Oranator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
Slope Stud
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Pulled another fuse today, I layed it up with a band of 1.7 Kevlar... It came out nice.

And built a hot box.

Oranator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
Slope Stud
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Just spent the last couple of hours opening the wings from last weekend...

They look great.... kinda grade on the curve if you know what I mean.

The plane called "ANDY" is coming along, the wings came out well and after a little trimming and sanding she is going to be a "looker".
I like the weight too. about 115 grams each wing that's only slightly heavier than the original obechi covered wings I have.

Jims (baldyman) wings came out good too, I should have told him the paint the backs of the orange. The orange kinda faded into a darker shade.

LESSONS learned:
More paint
Back colors with second coat
and the on going issue, take your time placing the mylars

Chip, James...
Who is next to lay up your fuse and bag some wings?

Oranator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,314 Posts
Hey, I like Andy!

Good job!
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old May 24, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,567 Posts
Happy for my first wings, a lot of little details that come from experience. They look good to me, I can work out any of the mistakes I made as long as the structure is there, which it is.

The key learned from Oran: Detail detail detail. Have everything sequenced and work quickly but efficiently.

On the other hand, your Andy looks absolutely beautiful. I think you started a trend. I will start giving my planes people names. I like it.

The next set will be perfect. If I can get the speed/detail thing worked out.

I like your new easy bake oven!

Can't wait to come down again.

Guys if you are interested in learning to do this stuff, Oran is the right guy to see.

Jim
Last edited by Tehachapi Jim; May 25, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old May 25, 2012, 02:13 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Looking good! I can't wait to get my wings out. After seeing that white fuse I might need to rethink painting mine black...
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old May 25, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,567 Posts
Your wings will come out better than mine. I just didn't spend the time painting I should have. And I kinda knew about backing those bright colors, I just didn't do in the moment. In hindsight white or silver both would have works to back that orange. ARe you going to Oran's June 2nd?

Jim
Old May 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,263 Posts
I'll let you know when I can swing by some evening to layup that fuse Oran. I think you said you were going to be busy the next couple of weeks... so am I. I'll be in touch and we can plan something.

-James
wr_mizzard is offline Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old May 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Slope Stud
Joined May 2001
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wr_mizzard View Post
I'll let you know when I can swing by some evening to layup that fuse Oran. I think you said you were going to be busy the next couple of weeks... so am I. I'll be in touch and we can plan something.

-James
During the day.. I am free just about every night.

Oranator
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 12:50 AM
Helmet...check!!!
United States, WI, Prairie du Sac
Joined Sep 2010
53 Posts
I've been sick too...not online. I love the bird dude. You are amazing. Wishing I was in CA with you guys.
AndyRice_WI is online now Find More Posts by AndyRice_WI
RCG Plus Member