HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RC Trainer plane, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Discussion
RC Trainer Plane Build

Hi Guys this is my first entry as well as my first build. I've never flown an RC plane before and want to get into the sport and thought the best way to learn quickly is to build one yourself. appreciate any help as well from comments thanks guys pics will come frequently.
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Last edited by RC Trainer plane; Apr 30, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
You might want to try a cheap trainer first, just to get the general idea of what you need, and how to fly. Then you could take the stuff out of the trainer, and build a scratchbuild around it.
good luck.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Ok guys just got the materials from the shop and started shaping the wing ribs i'm going with a flat bottom airfoil seeing as i'm a begginer and it provides a slow flight.

The Chord of the wing is going to be 25cm and the Wingspan is going to be
1.6m.

It should look something like an Alpha 40 trainer.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Thanks alot, but it's too late now i've already bought the stuff hopefully it goes well.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Judging by the pictures you posted, you should be fine, you seem to know what you're doing. You're planning an electric airplane, correct? And have you settled on the power system/radio yet?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Yeah your right, it's going to be and electric airplane guessing it's a lot cheaper than glow and easy to operate. However I don't know what radio to go with or what motor to go with. I know it should weigh less than 1kg got any ideas for a radio or motor. Thanks

Here's some progress from the last hour.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Is that wing section going to be strong enough to support the planes weight? You have a top spar and a lower, but no main spar.

Also consider building in dihedral to the wing section, it will help with self correcting.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
As for the ailerons, I think it would work either way, just depends on how nice you want it to look. It would certainly be easier to mount them off of the trailing edge, you could do flaps as well, or full wing ailerons to make it look a little cleaner. Another thing I would recommend is adding something equivalent to the NACA droops on the E-flite t-34, even if it's just a bit of sheet balsa facing down wards at an angle. They act as extre washout, and make it very hard to tip stall. As for radio, and motor, I personally use an aurora 9 by hitec, which is an excellent radio, but if you want to go a little cheaper, or want to fly ultra micros as well, a spektrum or Jr radio would work just as well. I can go into more detail on the various pros and cons if you like. And for the motor, ready to fly weight will be a big factor in it, but right now I'd say something like a turnigy G32 would work.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
i'll probably go with mounting the ailerons on the trailing edge doesn't have to look amazing as it's to teach me to fly (or not ). The turnigy G32 sounds good and i'll certainly keep that in mind for when i come to kitting it out. As for transmitters having looked at some spektrums i think i'll go with them seeing as their cheaper and they've had some good reviews across the board.

Just wondering if a slightly warped trailing edge will affect the flight i'll have a photo of it tommorow if that helps.

Thanks as always for your help much appreciated and keep following
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Glad I can be of assistance. I went with the aurora just because the receivers are bit cheaper than the spektrums, have voltage telemetry built in, and there's a deal going right now where you can get a free rx when you send in some proof of purchase, and half off on some others. That said, I used a Dx7s for a few months, and liked it, just didn't have all the features I wanted.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Any slight warps of variations in the straightness of either wing can be removed when you cover it. You may need to add a bit of washout at the wing tips trailing edge, but I don't think you'll really need it.

More pics please.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Fuselage

Here's some pictures displaying my ideas for the fuselage. (It'll be sheeted with balsa though) if you've got another idea or tips for how to build it please reply
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
For a beginner you've certainly are doing a nice job. I'll have to return again to see your progress.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn