HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mandevil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
109 Posts
Discussion
Maiden of new TH9X w/ER9X + basic setup

Yesterday I took my Bixler to test my new FlySky TH9X transmitter. Conditions were rather windy, making the plane's handling quite difficult at my first location. Then I moved to different place, which was as windy as the first. On the last flight I managed to soar for 11' 40" after one minute climb. I just kept flying into the wind with no attempts to circle. I guess there must have been some thermal in there, despite it being almost 7pm. Funny thing.

At any rate, the TX works fine. For the benefit of very first timers I detail the basic setup I did prior the maiden flight below.

1. The first step was to make ailerons work. I use two-channel aileron setup, with ailerons on the usual channels 1 and 6. The first 4 channels are default, the channel 6 needs to specify source AIL. Also I needed to reverse ailerons and rudder, which is done by setting their values to negative.

2. The next step was finding a way to be able to cut off throttle and make this default after the TX is switched on. Well, turns out that ER9X has specific function for this: "Safety switches". So I specify a setting for channel 3 (throttle), that makes the TX override the channel value with -100 when throttle switch is in OFF position (that's the !THR). Optionally, you can enforce the position of this switch on power up (in screen 2)

3. I also wanted to setup dual-rates for ailerons, since for some reason my previous TX did not do full range (maybe it was improperly set-up, I don't know). Seeing the throws of ailerons with TH9X I was bit afraid that it might take some getting used to. Setting up dual (or even triple rates) is easy with setup screen 4 "Expo/DR". My setup defaults to 60% throw on ailerons and 70% throw on elevator. Full range is available when AIL and ELE switches are in ON position. I did not use this much and just flew full range, since I needed rapid manoeuvrability given the windy conditions.

4. Finally, some finishing touches. a) I switched on the Throttle Trim (T-Trim) feature, which makes the throttle centre be at the bottom of the range. This is not necessary, I just find it logical. Also, I configured Trim Switch to use TRN switch (that's the only switch on the TH9X that won't remain in the ON state but always returns to OFF state). In my setup pulling this switch will make all trims be written into sub-trim table and actual trims are zeroed. Seems like a pretty neat feature which I have yet to use.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
to remove ads between posts