HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Discussion
Help with HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA)

I am building a quadrocopter using a HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (Atmega168PA) and a USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors for the electronics. I read the manual but I am still confused on how to program the control board and how to get the right firmware. Like is the firmware already on the control board or must I download it?
rpscarlets2294 is offline Find More Posts by rpscarlets2294
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,763 Posts
It already has firmware on it, preloaded for Quad+ flying.
Download and read the manual from HK (click files tab).
It explains how to set it up.
You can also fly Quad+ in QuadX if your transmitter supports delta mixing.
So unless you need a mixer other than Quad or have some particular firmware you want to load (doesn't sound like it), you can just stay with what's preloaded.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
Licensed Lunatic
United States, FL, Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
254 Posts
It has the + configuration firmware installed by default, but that's not the configuration I wanted personally. I just spend the last two days trying to get the programming to work myself.

First off, you'll need the driver for the programmer
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/usbasp.2011-05-28.tar.gz

The easiest way to flash firmware to the board is lazyzero's flash tool
http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmulticopterflashtool

I'm using Windows 7 64bit, and the latest beta v.60 is working well so far for me
http://lazyzero.de/_media/modellbau/...0.60beta17.zip

Regardless of what version you use, you need to be sure that you have the Java platform installed on your machine since the tool itself is a Java based program. If you're using a 64bit version of Windows, this is extremely important, as by default when you try to install Java from the web, it installs the 32bit version. You'll more than likely have to install the 64bit version manually.

Once you have the flash tool .zip file downloaded, extract the contents into a folder. To launch the tool, simply double click on kkMulticopterFlashTool (the executable file, not the jar file). A command prompt window will open momentarily as the tool loads, then the tool itself will open.

From there, just select the correct programmer in the top drop down box ("usbasp (USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/)"). Then select your board in the controller drop down box ("HobbyKing Quadcopter Control Board V2/V2.1 (16kb flash)"). Lastly, choose the firmware you want to flash in the drop down box that by default says "all firmware types". The box will populate with only firmware types that will work with the board, so there's no choosing one that simply wont work at all with your board (which is nice). In that drop down box, select "XCopter", and then you can select what firmware variation you want to use in the "firmware" drop down box (v4.7 being the most popular). You can view the technical info of each firmware before flashing just by selecting the firmware and then clicking on the round blue info button to the right of the firmware selection drop down box.

Once you've got the firmware you want to flash selected, make sure our programmer is plugged into your PC and the drivers are properly installed and the USBasp device is showing up in the device manager (the programmer will have a green LED lit when connected), and make sure the cable between the programmer and the board is plugged in correctly on the control board (when plugged in, the cable/ribbon should face towards the vertical PCB that holds the yaw gyro. the board's LED will flash once momentarily when connected to the programmer that's connected to the PC), and then click the round green button to the far right of the firmware selection drop down box to flash the firmware to the board.

During programming, the red LED will be lit on the programmer while you'll see the flash tool working and showing progress on your PC screen. Once the writing is done, the control board's red LED will flash once to confirm the write, and the controller's green LED will come back on, and only then is it safe to unplug everything from the controller.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pwLkHmPnU
iamsuperbleeder is offline Find More Posts by iamsuperbleeder
Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; Apr 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 02:29 AM
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Quad

is it necessary for me to connect my quad copter to my pc?
cohlms is offline Find More Posts by cohlms