HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by turboparker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,137 Posts
Discussion
Flying the Beast 3D on 3s, flying in high winds

Hi everyone,

Some of us have been experimenting with running 3s on the stock Eflite 2s UMX bricks. Some bricks handle it, while others pop immediately when the pack is connected. Given that they're only designed for 2s, it is surprising that any of these little bricks can handle 3s reliably, but many of the EFLU4864 AS3X bricks appear to do just that. Some of us had been flying the Beast 3D on 3s packs short-charged to 12V. RCBabbel decided to try a fully-charged pack on his B3D, and his survived. After some consternation, I decided to roll the dice & try fully-charged 3s packs. Looks like my brick is one of the over-achievers. The plane is performing flawlessly after many flights on fully-charged Hyperion 180 mAh 3s packs. A few others have also reported success. The non-AS3X 2s bricks seem to be a bit more of a crap-shoot on 3s. Some handle 12V, while others pop immediately on 12V. Some handle 12V just fine, but pop immediately on 12.6V. Others seem to handle 12.6V just fine. The EFLU4864 AS3X brick (used in the Beast 3D, Gee Bee, and Carbon Cub) appears to be somewhat more tolerant of 3s than the non-AS3X AR6400LBL & AR6400NBL bricks (used in the V1 Beast & Sbach, respectively).

I'm running the 2300Kv/5043 prop combo, but others have reported good results with the stock 2500Kv motor & a 5030 prop. I'm getting over 5.5 minutes of aggressive flying to the 80% discharge point - using good throttle-management, of course.

The power-to-weight on 3s is over 300W/pound. Absolutely amazing. AS3X keeps it smooth - even when flying well-beyond maximum design-speed.

Disclaimer: The Beast 3D (and other 2s UMX planes) are not designed for 3s. Try at your own risk.

Flying in a 26 MPH wind on short-charged 3s packs:

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary aerobatics, elevator landings, etc. (9 min 30 sec)

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc (8 min 10 sec)

Wind was a bit lower this time:

Having fun at the field with the Beast 3D on 3s (5 min 32 sec)

Flying the Beast 3D on fully-charged 3s packs in a 23 MPH wind:

Eflite Beast 3D on 12.6V in a 11-23 MPH wind (6 min 54 sec)

Eflite Beast 3D on 12.6V in a 11-23 MPH wind - part 2 (6 min 0 sec)

More fun with the B3D on a fully-charged 3s pack:

More fun with the Eflite Beast 3D on 12.6V (6 min 9 sec)

Note:

For those who accept the risk & wish to try 3s - there are no factory-built plug & play 3s packs available. Currently, there are four choices:

1) Roll your own 3s packs.

2) Contact RCBabbel for special-order plug & play Hyp 180 mAh 3s packs with balance-taps: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=54990

3) Switch to a different battery connector on the plane - such as the popular mini JST.

4) If you have some mCP X batteries, contact Glenn at RC-connectors.com about a custom 3s harness for mCP X cells. Weight will be higher, and the harness will drop the voltage a bit, but it's a quick way of trying 3s if you have a few mCP X batteries sitting around: http://www.rc-connectors.com/

I do not recommend using anything less than 180 mAh cells that have a true 25c rating, as anything less will be severely overloaded in this application.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts