HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,572 Posts
Discussion
Craft paints

I needed a tiny bit of touch up paint for my CAP 232 I've talked about in another thread here. So being the cheap skate I am I went to the local Hobby Lobby store and looked in the craft paint isle. I took my cowl along to find a match which I did. It is their "Americana" brand paint and I think it was around $1 for the bottle. It's an acrylic paint so I thought I'd give it a try. I used a fine brush and painted what I needed. 24 hours later, (today) I mixed a very small amount of the automotive urethane paint I used on the rest of the plane and top coated the craft paint. It's been about 6 hours now and no lifting of the craft paint and the urethane paint is cured and hard. I believe by brushing on the urethane paint I have about the worst/best condition possible to test the compatibility of the two paints. The heavy application should have caused a problem if there was going to be one.

While this is not a definitive test, the results are very favorable at this point in time. I think I'll try it on a another project and see what happens. The craft paints are available in a rainbow of colors, they are inexpensive and readily available. Did I mention they are cheap?

Everybody throw your thought at me. The flame suit is on

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
100 Posts
I use the Americana brand for most of my plastic model finishing. Problem is HL seems to be doing away with them. They have the best for US navy WW2 US Navy colors, are easy to mix, and airbrush really well with denatured alcohol. It also accepts enamel, urethane, and epoxy clear coats. Be away of craft paints in general, I tries every brand that HL and Walmart offer and the Americana seem to have been the most robust.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old May 05, 2012, 10:34 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,197 Posts
My brother told me about this brand http://www.plaidonline.com/apple-bar.../5/product.htm 2 oz bottles at Wallie World for $2.50 I'm giving it a shot on my new FFF build.

I'm using Minwax Polycrylic for the basecoat.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 05, 2012, 06:46 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
My brother told me about this brand http://www.plaidonline.com/apple-bar.../5/product.htm 2 oz bottles at Wallie World for $2.50 I'm giving it a shot on my new FFF build.

I'm using Minwax Polycrylic for the basecoat.
Looks like a viable option.

IMO... If the truth be know, I would say all the craft paints come out of the same barrel. The only difference is the label on the bottle.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old May 06, 2012, 09:20 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,197 Posts
The polycrylic works as a base, I added a coat of brown that I mixed from yellow-blue-red-white I wished I had made more, I cant get that shade and it's the one I want.

So far it's not damaging the Protection Board.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old May 06, 2012, 09:41 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
6,960 Posts
I've used craft paints in my airbrush with great success, too. I use windshield washer fluid to thin it. Takes a bit of experimenting to find the sweet spot as to how much thinner to use, because each color and brand seems to be a bit different.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky