HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Tuffwing 32 and Popwing

Greetings guys,
I was certain that I wanted a Popwing. But then I watched a couple of the Tuffwing 32 videos and started making me think about it. It looks solid with the setup they have on their site. Any opinions?
FlyingRCFanatic is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRCFanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
I don't know but thanks for bringing it up because I am going to find out first hand.
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Syner,

Thanks for the reply. Let us know what you find. Iguess I'm picky but I liked that everything goes inside of it no battery on the outside. It's the details that make the difference. Plus you cant it ignore the "rocket launch" takeoff on the you tube videos.y I wonder if that's with the setup they sell.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRCFanatic View Post
Syner,

Thanks for the reply. Let us know what you find. Iguess I'm picky but I liked that everything goes inside of it no battery on the outside. It's the details that make the difference. Plus you cant it ignore the "rocket launch" takeoff on the you tube videos.y I wonder if that's with the setup they sell.
there are a lot of wings that do the rocket launch takeoff. it is nothing new. i have to try on my popwing and see if it does it also.

i like the battery tray also and the motor mount is inside rather than extruding that popwing has which will make for better crashes i think. the downside to motor mount with that method though is i am not sure if it supports motors with x mount which is very popular.

pricewise the tuffwing looks way more expensive if you buy all parts through them. even if you just get the airframe it is slightly more expensive.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, MD, Chesapeake Beach
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
I haven't yet picked up the 32" Tuffwing, but the 24" version was my first wing, and it's been great. I agree that price-wise it's on the upper end of other comparable wings if you want to add the electronics. But I had very little understanding of all the electronics at the time, so I reasoned that just ordering everything from Brian would save me a lot of trial and error (which usually equals money), and it certainly did. And as was mentioned, having the electronics buried in a bay as opposed to out in the open was also a big part of what attracted me to it. I've had 2 major crashes that resulted in a wing being split right in half, and the battery/ESC/RX came out unscathed in both crashes.

In my experience, I'd recommend any Tuffwing to somebody looking to step up from a Champ or other beginner park flyer, or those with little to no building experience. If you build it exactly per instructions, you'll have a great flying wing!
fnffishcore is offline Find More Posts by fnffishcore
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Yea but you still have to purchase parts separately which compared to the popwing link I sent is complicated. On the link I sent everything is sold as one package. Zero guesswork unlike tuffwing website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnffishcore View Post
I haven't yet picked up the 32" Tuffwing, but the 24" version was my first wing, and it's been great. I agree that price-wise it's on the upper end of other comparable wings if you want to add the electronics. But I had very little understanding of all the electronics at the time, so I reasoned that just ordering everything from Brian would save me a lot of trial and error (which usually equals money), and it certainly did. And as was mentioned, having the electronics buried in a bay as opposed to out in the open was also a big part of what attracted me to it. I've had 2 major crashes that resulted in a wing being split right in half, and the battery/ESC/RX came out unscathed in both crashes.

In my experience, I'd recommend any Tuffwing to somebody looking to step up from a Champ or other beginner park flyer, or those with little to no building experience. If you build it exactly per instructions, you'll have a great flying wing!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Finally decided for the Popwing. But I'll have my eye for the Tuffwing on the future too. Fying wings are my favorite type of aircraft. I have flown a bit of everything. Speed, 3D,sport. But that was a few years ago now I wanna come back to RC but don't want to break the bank either. I'll wait for lazertoyz to have it on stock again and will order. I like that they have to whole setup there as one package.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Stay tuned. In addition to minipopwing w/fast setup I grabbed the regular popwing w/servos and my own esc/motor combo from Grayson hobbies. Looking to maiden tomorrow possibly. Will try to get some video up.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
Well It seems they're out of stock everywhere...sucks..oh well.

Syner, let me know how you like the Mini popwing. Lazer toyz still has that and I might just order it. I have some vacation time coming up (if no other projects come up) and waiting might cut it close...we'll see.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRCFanatic View Post
Well It seems they're out of stock everywhere...sucks..oh well.

Syner, let me know how you like the Mini popwing. Lazer toyz still has that and I might just order it. I have some vacation time coming up (if no other projects come up) and waiting might cut it close...we'll see.
mini is fine. i think it will probably fly faster than my popwing. also real easy to throw on car seat to travel with. in the end i will probably prefer mini to full popwing myself. here are some mini videos of mine. best to watch 1st 2 vids high resolution, full screen. the last one just watch small in this page probably (was shot with different cam).

Lazertoyz MiniPopWing (2 min 49 sec)

here my buddy was flying it the first day we got it
Lazertoyz MiniPopWing (1 min 21 sec)

here skip to 3:30 for me on my mini
Wildcat and Mini Wing (9 min 13 sec)
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Apr 2012
57 Posts
That thing rips! I just ordered the fast setup from Lazertoyz....Man back to RC!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Maiden large popwing today but had a small prop so it wasn't a good test. Mini is much faster so far in my experience. Grab the mini with fast setup. You won't be disappointed IMO.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, OH, Eastlake
Joined Jan 2007
467 Posts
Pop wing & Mini Popwing videos

Hi, love your videos- and glad you guys love the planes! We still have Mini's in stock and full size we are told should be in in 3 weeks- we hope they are right- I have 20 on order. I have 10 minis left in stock after sending 2 kits out today.
Enjoy them, Dan loves his and the guys in Cleveland here can't get enough of them.
Diane
Lazertoyz
Diane@lazertoyz is offline Find More Posts by Diane@lazertoyz
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
not the best of maidens but here is the video. i didn't have the right size 6x4 prop so i had to use a smaller one. also i could not find a decent cg with 1300mah. with 2200mah it was spot on. you have the carve out the battery compartment for that though. i will put a quick build log on my blog soon.

LazerToyz Popwing (3 min 29 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:02 AM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Diane do you know the "wing area" of the popwing and minipopwing. Not wingspan. Wing area. Want to do some calculations and need this info. Thanks

Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane@lazertoyz View Post
Hi, love your videos- and glad you guys love the planes! We still have Mini's in stock and full size we are told should be in in 3 weeks- we hope they are right- I have 20 on order. I have 10 minis left in stock after sending 2 kits out today.
Enjoy them, Dan loves his and the guys in Cleveland here can't get enough of them.
Diane
Lazertoyz