HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2003, 08:10 PM
EPP Rules!
Sunshine Coast, Australia.
Joined Oct 2003
353 Posts
Question
How many of us are there?

Does anyone know of any statistics relating to how many people in the world currently fly RC gliders? Or in which countries it is most popular (either in total numbers or as a percentage of population)? Anyone care to hazard some guesses??

Being an Australian, I'm personally particularly curious as to how many RC glider flyers (or flyers of all types of RC aircraft) there are in Australia....

I hope some of you can help satisfy my curiousity and perhaps others might find it at least a little intriguing as well.

Regards,

Kye
aussie is offline Find More Posts by aussie
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2003, 07:32 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
I'm one. Count me!

It is a different flying experience that is very addictive. Every flight
is an adventure and every flight is different.

No fuel, no noise an no washing the plane down
after the flight. It is a hunter's game, if you are up for it.

Sailplanes are wonderful
http://www.rcflying.net/forums/showt...&threadid=5356
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 15, 2003, 06:42 PM
The Airplane Gremlin
Media, Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2003
388 Posts
aussie, the company Canterbury Sailplanes is located in (you guessed it...) Canterbury NZ. Their company website has a forum like this and almost all of the members of the forum are from Australia/NZ (except me and some others). Ask there, they might know about the statistic for your area. www.canterburysailplanes.co.nz I beleive...do a search if that doesn't work.
~John
p.s. I'm a new glider flier...so far I've flown a couple electrics and a glow trainer (it isn't nearly as slimy as you glider people say ). They are all real fun and now I'll see how fun gliders can be. I asked for a Gentle Lady kit for christmas ! I like building from kit...at least so far...and it fits my budget nicely too (I'm 15 years old)
Seared Ice is offline Find More Posts by Seared Ice
Last edited by Seared Ice; Dec 15, 2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:44 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
There are people who think they want to fly R/C gliders who haven't tried it yet. There are people who have tried it a few times and come back to it occasionally. There are people who fly a few times a season. There are others that fly weekly, weather permitting. There are a few that fly almost every day, weather permitting. The ones that belong to clubs and are affiliated with a national or international organization are easiest to count.

There are about 7000 participants in the League of Silent Flight. They are almost all serious glider fliers.

In the USA there are over 170,000 members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Many of those members are also members of about 2,500 AMA chartered clubs. Most AMA members fly R/C. Of those that do, somewhat less than 10% fly gliders. Then there are some unknown number of glider fliers who don't belong to a club or to the national organization.

As a SWAG, I would estimate that there are something like 15 or 20 thousand glider fliers in the USA, including those that are unaffiliated.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Dec 16, 2003 at 02:40 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 09:47 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
Seared Ice

Welcome to the fun.

Electric, glo, glide .... its all fun.

I stopped by your the NZ site. Seems like a good group. Gives me a chance to see how flying is done in another country.
Last edited by aeajr; Dec 16, 2003 at 07:10 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 06:49 AM
EPP Rules!
Sunshine Coast, Australia.
Joined Oct 2003
353 Posts
Good on you Ollie!

You're the only one that has been brave enough to hazard a guess at the number of RC glider flyers in the USA... 15 to 20 thousand sounds reasonable to me although I had personally originally estimated the USA figure to be about double that. But as you say, it's hard to define a RC glider flyer and it's even harder to work out how many there are.... at least we're getting some sort of ball-park figure.

As a comparison, I estimate there to be about 4,000 RC glider flyers in Australia (where I'm from) which has a population of 20 million.

Anyone else have an opinion?..... or care? ;-)

PS. According to the AMA, their current membership stands at 168,075.

Kye.
aussie is offline Find More Posts by aussie
Old Dec 16, 2003, 07:12 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie
In the USA there are over 170,000 members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics. Many of those members are also members of about 2,500 AMA chartered clubs. Most AMA members fly R/C. Of those that do, somewhat less than 10% fly gliders. Then there are some unknown number of glider fliers who don't belong to a club or to the national organization.

As a SWAG, I would estimate that there are something like 15 or 20 thousand glider fliers in the USA, including those that are unaffiliated.
Ollie, I assume that the AMA is primarily a US, or North American organization. Is there a comparable organization in Australia?