SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Discussion
Crashed HawkSky - How to Repair or not repairable?

So, I successfully flew Dynam HawkSky plane for a while on my second attempt but I lost control of it and smacked it into mounted steel grill of this baseball field. and it dropped pretty bad on some weird bushes. I suspect it went out of my range because I fixed a broken antenna on my transmitter and looks like I didin't do well on fixing it

It has a large crack on one wing, and nose of the plane ...and the second wing also has some tits and bits on it as well

What is my best option to repair it? What glue do you use to repair these? or is it just simply not repairable? -- I have the stock glue that came with the plane though! or if there is any glue that i can go grab from a B&M store (walmart etc)?

Any tips and advices?
sahil80 is offline Find More Posts by sahil80
Last edited by sahil80; Apr 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
It doesn't look too bad aside from the wing.

For the wing I'd say use the glue you have and perhaps stick some small carbon rods or toothpicks in there to reinforce the structure.

For the scratches, tits and bits, and dent in the nose try pouring hot (not boiling) water over it or hold the affected part in the water. Try to get the hot water just on the affected spots. Be careful not to overdo things or you'll end up with some very pimply foam. If that happens take an ice cold spoon and smooth things down. If hot water doesn't work for the tits and bits or scratches than put a little packaging tape over them.

P.S. Make sure you get that radio taken care of before you try flying again.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Apr 21, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
It doesn't look too bad aside from the wing.

For the wing I'd say use the glue you have and perhaps stick some small carbon rods or toothpicks in there to reinforce the structure.

For the scratches, tits and bits, and dent in the nose try pouring hot (not boiling) water over it or hold the affected part in the water. Try to get the hot water just on the affected spots. Be careful not to overdo things or you'll end up with some very pimply foam. If that happens take an ice cold spoon and smooth things down. If hot water doesn't work for the tits and bits or scratches than put a little packaging tape over them.

P.S. Make sure you get that radio taken care of before you try flying again.
Yeah I have a new Tx now, just arrived yesterday.

how do you go by puting hot water, do i need to apply glue afterwards? What is the best way of doing water? Cotton buds?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:47 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil80 View Post
how do you go by puting hot water, do i need to apply glue afterwards? What is the best way of doing water? Cotton buds?
No you don't need to apply glue to it afterwards.

I heat the water up in a pan/pot then submerge the crumpled areas in the water for a bit. Check frequently to make sure you're not overdoing it. The foam can puff up pretty fast depending on the temperature of the water. Smooth out any puffy parts with a spoon kept in the freezer.

Another way I've done it is to hold the crumpled foam over a good size pan and pour the water onto the affected area. Then alternate between pans. Make sure to angle it downward away from your hand so you don't accidentally burn yourself and have a rag or something nearby to clean up any water you spill.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
No you don't need to apply glue to it afterwards.

I heat the water up in a pan/pot then submerge the crumpled areas in the water for a bit. Check frequently to make sure you're not overdoing it. The foam can puff up pretty fast depending on the temperature of the water. Smooth out any puffy parts with a spoon kept in the freezer.

Another way I've done it is to hold the crumpled foam over a good size pan and pour the water onto the affected area. Then alternate between pans. Make sure to angle it downward away from your hand so you don't accidentally burn yourself and have a rag or something nearby to clean up any water you spill.
Allrite I tried the submerge area and I do see the foam has puffed out pretty good but it has not submerged or joined with the other area - it still looks as an open crack? -- Is it suppose to submerge with the base foam?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Allrite I tried the submerge area and I do see the foam has puffed out pretty good but it has not submerged or joined with the other area - it still looks as an open crack? -- Is it suppose to submerge with the base foam?
No if you lost some foam then that's that. The hot water simply helps re-expand crumpled foam. You can stick some packaging tape over the scratches and small missing sections on the wing or if you have any of the missing chunks of foam, glue them back in.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Another option to replace missing foam is to use lightweight spackling in the area of the missing chunks and in the scratches. You can pick up a small tub at your local hardware store. Just glob it in there, wait for it to dry then sand it down smooth to contour with the body of the plane. I'd go with packaging tape as that probably would be simpler and lighter.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
No if you lost some foam then that's that. The hot water simply helps re-expand crumpled foam. You can stick some packaging tape over the scratches and small missing sections on the wing or if you have any of the missing chunks of foam, glue them back in.
Thanks for replying man! - Really appreciate it.

Do you think its a good idea to fill up the space with piece of packing material that comes with these dell computers and then apply packing tape? .. I don't know if thats the same foam as EPO or etc! but i can slice the foam and then fix it in .. Just Asking!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Another option to replace missing foam is to use lightweight spackling in the area of the missing chunks and in the scratches. You can pick up a small tub at your local hardware store. Just glob it in there, wait for it to dry then sand it down smooth to contour with the body of the plane. I'd go with packaging tape as that probably would be simpler and lighter.
Does this product looks like a good one? - I do not know what is a lightweight spackling - I will just buy it for all the future crashes

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:35 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
I use this, it'll need a little while to dry, simply apply more if needed.

I'm guessing the dell packing material is expanded polystyrene foam, not really the best material for a plane as it's a bit fragile and crumbles.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
I use this, it'll need a little while to dry, simply apply more if needed.

I'm guessing the dell packing material is expanded polystyrene foam, not really the best material for a plane as it's a bit fragile and crumbles.
Thanks Rayne, I bought the same thing and just finished applying it - I injected two tootphicks in the wings neatly and it looks quite solid. I didn't sand it as I forgot to pickup sand sponge from hardware store. Is it a big deal?

Also, Do I need to balance my plane differently? - obviously with toothpicks in the wing, although very little, but my wings will be of different weight. I only know about CG and how to balance it. But I am unsure if that will also keep my plane not going left or right! -
Old Apr 27, 2012, 11:45 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Rayne, I bought the same thing and just finished applying it - I injected two tootphicks in the wings neatly and it looks quite solid.
Good, if you haven't already stick some adhesive in the crack to make sure things hold together.

Quote:
I didn't sand it as I forgot to pickup sand sponge from hardware store. Is it a big deal?
Not really, unless it's really sticking out I don't think it'll affect flight very much.

Quote:
Also, Do I need to balance my plane differently? - obviously with toothpicks in the wing, although very little, but my wings will be of different weight. I only know about CG and how to balance it. But I am unsure if that will also keep my plane not going left or right! -
Yes you should check the plane's cg before you go to fly it again. It's always a good idea to check whenever you make any changes to the plane. If you're worried about left/right wing balance try taping a coin on to the opposite wing to counter the added weight. As long as the plane balances in the correct area and the wing is sturdy I don't think you'll have much trouble flying.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:37 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Once you verify your CG is good and all ..

be sure to do a range check . some TX actually have a mode and procedure in their instructions on how best to do a range check . ( i'm guilty of assuming range has not changed form time to time .. and with today's stuff it is pretty good , but still range check should be done regularly )

cracks in foam that may have missing foam :

get some:
white gorilla glue .
a very small spray bottle with water .. or some way of dampening evenly the foam parts .
some clear packing tape.

step one determine if you wine needs splints ( tooth picks for small and BBQ skewers for big ones )

test fit your 'splints .. make sure foam lines up how you want.

wet the splints , wet the foam parts to join .

put some gorilla glue(GG) ( just a small bit ) in the holes the splints will go in .

put some GG on each side of the foam to be joined.

if the gap is 4-5mm wet the glue a bit more ( shot of mist , or wet q-tip or such )

wrap / place clear packing tape around the repair , work quick as the GG will expand , and if you use teh brown / honey color GG it will expand even faster and more that the white GG.

you want the tape to control the expansion of teh foam the glue will make when wet .
poke a small pin hole to let air escape , try to do it in the center of the gap .

let the GG dry and set up . but ..

if it is expanding , you can press it with your fingers or such as the tape will be covering it . usually tape is enough on its own .

wait a good day before removing the tape. ( longer you wait the easier it will come off the GG )
+ try to make the tape job good , and dried GG is very hard to sand vs foam .

if your tape was good and your GG was not too much , you prolly only need a touch of that spackle to smooth it out .

Shows how bad a break you can fix using expanding foam or a expanding foaming glue .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

and if you realy crash hard .. you can still fix stuff .. like i did .. LOL

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...4-PMF_1C_3.jpg

after sanding and Spackle
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...7-PMF_1R_1.jpg
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
.. .
Thank you man - I will check some videos on youtube on how to do a good CG -- Time to study more i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
Wow dude you have some really amazing cracks lol - Thanks for tipping out man. But I ended up using light spackling - and my plane looks good over all.

I now have this Turnigy 9x and I will use that, although I really wanted to use my Dynam 4ch TX that came with my plane until I am completely airborne and able to fly planes. But my bad, I have been unable to find an antenna for it.

I am thinking to fix Dynam by soldering a copper cable to replace the antenna - I do not know how to do a range test - do you have more details on it?
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:37 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
I do not know how to do a range test - do you have more details on it?
Range test usually involves putting the radio into range test mode (basically it significantly lowers it's signal power). Once it's in range test mode have someone hold the plane up (with the battery plugged in), then walk away from it while moving the controls. As soon as it stops responding or becomes intermittent you have your range. The manual usually lists the recommended number of paces for it. Cheaper radios don't have this feature so you'll have to walk all the way across the field (more if you can) to test.

I'm not familiar with the 9x so I can't really give specific info on how to do it with that radio. I'd take a look at the manual if you can understand it, otherwise try the radio section.