HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:40 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
LOL .... it surely depends on your point of reference, HUH!
Don
While everything is relative, I think calling various Parkzone and Electrifly ARFs large electric models is simply not accurate. They are small models, or medium at a stretch.

Now, if he had posted that he was looking for a larger electric model than what he had been flying, there would be nothing to argue about....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,995 Posts
No arguing here! My biggest, for now, is 55" 3DHS and it is a handful to take down to come home!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Someone not versed at all in RC may think the Parkzone warbird line are large. I wonder what my fiancÚ would have thought if I still had my Sig Astro Hog. I believe that has a 6' wingspan and would have dwarfed any of my current lineup. My largest plane right now is a 48" 3DHS Extra 330 EPP, and with my current situation is about as big as I feel comfortable with right now. It's a bonus that it still uses my collection of 3S batteries.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:10 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,484 Posts
My definition of a large electric is something one step down from giant scale: monoplanes from around 48" to 79" and biplanes from round 42" to 59".

Parkzone uMs are micro to sub micro, small electrics range up to Parkflyer size from there at around 2 lbs max and medium electrics fill in the space from small electrics to the large size electrics mentioned above.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I went from a UM Trojan to the PZ Thunderbolt with minor learning curve issues. The Thunderbolt is the smallest of the 3 I fly.....But I am working on a GWS BN2 and that will take up the reigns as smallest in the hangar when it's done at 29" wingspan....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
The title of this thread is a little misleading....

What he is really looking for is not a large electric, but a first small to medium electric, after flying ultra micro electrics....
That is good on grass.

Still curious about the grass though. There's all sorts of grasses out there. I couldn't take off or land on the grass in my front yard, even if it was an acre.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Funcub will takeoff in grass while trimming it on takeoff and landing....You can't stop it...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old May 06, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2008
10 Posts
I got the 800mm Trojan from Nitroplanes and was very pleased with it. I have crashed it many times and it has survived. Here's a video of it flying over a canal near my house with a wingcam from Hobby King on board.
Flying Over The Columbia Canal (5 min 38 sec)
metalmike is offline Find More Posts by metalmike
Old May 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Nice size plane, easy to fly, stable and lands well....E-Flite mini Pulse w/480. One of my favorite planes to fly. You have to remember to buy something that is easy and fast to get replacement parts for. After picking a plane that is the most important thing. Horizon Hobby and Heads Up RC. You will be covered.. Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old May 10, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Corsair or Corvalis

I have both the Corsair and the Corvalis. Both fly well but the Corsair F4U is a better quality plane. The rudder on the Corvalis came out of the box bent.
Alberta4U is offline Find More Posts by Alberta4U
Old May 12, 2012, 04:26 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
912 Posts
For some reason, I don't think of foamies as a medium size plane. I see a 5 pound 40-size plane as medium size. If you want to take off from grass, I think that the 3.5 pound weight plane is too light, and will be nosing over and bending motor shafts. 5 lb planes are big enough to roll on grass without continually nosing over. You will need wheels that are near to 3 inch diameter, to roll easily on grass.

Maybe some of the Cub models are easy to fly, but I am having a real time with the Seagull 80 inch Cub, as the tail moment arm is short, and takeoffs with cross winds require a good deal of skill. This has been a more difficult plane to get off the ground than any plane I have flown, including a P-51.

Be really careful with the low wing "trainers". A lot of them have been around for a long time in the glow community, and don't fly as well as more modern designs. valuehobby had a white 60 inch low wing plane that was the gentlest flier of any of the low wing models that I have tried.

The high wing Kadets fly well, but they lumber around a bit.

If you're interested in learning building skills, why not try the building trainer that balsausa has? It is high wing, balsausa has nicely flying planes, and the quality of the kits in high.

If you're willing to try a few cheapies, why not try a couple of the nitroplanes trainers that are high wing? Some of them may not fly all that well, but will probably be stable enough for you to handle, and will not break the bank, when you break the gear on a grass field.
wuest3141 is offline Find More Posts by wuest3141