HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:07 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I certainly understand. I think you'de love the regular sized Park Zone T28. Everybody loves that plane. You could get one of those and come in way under budget.

I am probably going to get one for night flying.

The beauty of a good scale 3D plane is that it is perfect for that. You just dial with wild throws down and move the CG forward a bit. Save that link and when you are ready to move into a high quality balsa, give it a read.
okay thank you! i will definitely save the link for when im ready. hey do you know anything about the regular sized corsair? would that be a good one too?

Oh and does anyone know if the quality of Flyzone planes are good?
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 21, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
okay thank you! i will definitely save the link for when im ready. hey do you know anything about the regular sized corsair? would that be a good one too?
I think I have flown one or two of them. They are fine. Almost any of the park zone warbirds are pretty popular.

I've also see the Jug fly and it's pretty nice too, with retracts and a powerful power system. It's one of the nicest foam planes I have seen, and it fits your budget.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5380
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I think I have flown one or two of them. They are fine. Almost any of the park zone warbirds are pretty popular.

I've also see the Jug fly and it's pretty nice too, with retracts and a powerful power system. It's one of the nicest foam planes I have seen, and it fits your budget.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ5380
okay cool thanks. i guess i have basically narrowed it down to two choices; the F4U Corsair or the parkzone T28 Trojan. which of the two would be better as a first large electric? Oh if this helps, im still trying to learn how to fly with ailerons.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: changed info
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:26 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
Marina Village, NC
Joined Aug 2007
3,415 Posts
i have 2 Airfield 800mm T-28's they fly sooo good !!!

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a625-80...d-rtf-24g.html

can't beat the price....i fly them on my DX7 transmitter instead on the RTF radio..nothing wrong with the RTF transmitter

just finding parts down the road might be kinda sketchy..............
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
okay thanks. i don't really want to purchase anything from nitroplanes, so im just trying to decide on either the parkzone F4U corsair or parkzone T28 Trojan. thanks for the suggestion though.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by electricrc68; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,676 Posts
I'm sure the Corsair is a nice plane, but I have no experience with it and those who had one in the groups I fly with have all retired them. I do believe if you are at the point where inadvertent meetings with the ground are still quite possible, that the T28 is a tougher bird. The extra bends in the wing of the corsair are suspect to adding stress points that are susceptible to more damage. Also, in the groups that I fly in, those that bought the T28 early on and have advanced way beyond it, still bring them to the field every time they go. We rarely see an older Corsair, but you can't go to any of the places I fly without seeing several Parkzone T28's in every condition from mostly duct tape and glue to pristine with larger motors and wild setups. It doesn't seem to matter how good one gets on the sticks they still fly the T28.
After all that, I would add that everybody has their preferences and even though I still have my T28 and still fly it, for the same reasons I am hard pressed to decide whether I prefer it or my Apprentice. It will do basically everything the T28 will but will slow down even more and fly more scale like too and with it's 58" wing span is very easy to see and tell orientation with.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
Okay thanks bobly. i guess i will get the T-28 then since i still put my micro t-28 into the ground at times still. yeah i've heard great things about the apprentice too. orientation is actually one of the biggest issues i have with my micro t-28.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:36 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Good choice. I have both the Corsair and the Trojan. They both fly great. The Corsair flies a little faster and a little slower (sounds like a contradiction, I know). I think this is due to a lighter and sleeker airframe (I haven't weighed it). But, the gear isn't up to grass landings. The attachment footprint on the wing is smaller than on the Trojan. I've had them separate on good landings on grass. Maybe a putting green would work. They need to be reinforced somehow.

Another issue I have with the Corsair is orientation, but that might just be me. I have to keep it in fairly close. The Navy Trojan is far easier to see at distance. Don't know about the Airforce scheme.

And your looking at a tail dragger vs a tricycle.

Will
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
okay cool thanks for the info! i actually can understand how orientation with the corsair could be tough; its a blue plane against a blue sky...maybe thats why. the Trojan gear is fine landing and taking off in grass right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
I've only flown it off of very short grass and it worked fine with the stock wheels. I suppose a lot depends on the grass.

Also, if you get the PNP I've had great luck with the Hobbyking orange rx's. 6 or 7 bucks each. That'll keep the cost down. At the expense of shipping time. I believe EMS is faster. Can't remember.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:59 AM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
okay cool thanks. yeah i plan on getting the PNP so i can use my DX6i. what battery do you use for your T-28 capacity wise?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
I think you've got an excellent choice on the T-28. I've always flown 3S2200's on mine.

The T-28's been such a nice plane for me - I got it when my skills were a lot less than they are today - and it's actually been a good learning tool for me. Some of the guys I fly with and I now have "combat" modules mounted on ours and we get to dogfight every once in a while - THAT is a blast - although midairs are common. The T-28s come through with plenty of damage - but it's a TOUGH bird.

That said...I love Multiplex stuff - can't go wrong there either.

Hey...Downingtown...still got a good track team there? I went to Boyertown back in the 80's...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined May 2011
4,396 Posts
man thats one tough plane, coming out of midairs! im glad that i will be getting this one.

I would say our track team is...well...okay at best.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
I'm using 3s 2200mah 20c to 35c. I prefer the lightest ones for the Trojan and have used 1800's, also but don't have any at the moment. I hogged out some foam on the canopy to get the COG back a bit. I like her balanced for dead stick, level flight. Makes landings easier for me. Just a little flair at the end. So sweet. Going flying now....just set up my tx for buddy boxing a friend on it today.

FWIW. It's the only plane I own that I haven't crashed. Did I just jinx it?

Good luck. You'll love it.

Will
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:34 AM
Geneva, IL
Joined Jul 2007
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
man thats one tough plane, coming out of midairs! im glad that i will be getting this one.

I would say our track team is...well...okay at best.
Its' "survived" midairs - usually with repairs mind you. Maybe I've been lucky but she's kindof a tank and seems to have taken the abuse I've handed out. I'm still on my original plane too.

Post your thoughts after the first few flights if you can wipe the smile off...
CFisher1421 is offline Find More Posts by CFisher1421