HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,661 Posts
Mini-Review
Solo Pro 228P Review

Solo Pro 228P

I received this helicopter from www.myrcmart.com. It flew very well right out of the box, as it should have, because myrcmart tests every heli before shipping them. I'm actually very impressed with this helicopter. I will explain why in this review, and I will also include some flight videos.

Packaging:

The heli is well packaged and the kit contains the following:

-Heli body fully assembled and ready to fly
-2.4 GHz J4 transmitter
-1X 100mAh, 7.4 volts battery
-Battery charger
-Spare main blades
-Instruction manual

Specifications:

-2.4GHz 4 channels
-Model No.: RX:NE R/C 228P
-TX: NE-T016 (J4)
-Rotor diameter: 15.16"(395mm)
-Overall length: 16.34"(498mm)
-Flying weight: 8.99oz.(250g)
-Brushed main motor
-Shaft driven tail rotor with independent brushed motor
-Battery: 7.4V 1000mAh Li-Po

The transmitter

The transmitter is model J4. It has a LCD display showing trims settings, battery strength, throttle input and flight mode. It has dual rates allowing for slower flight or faster, more nimble flight at the push of a stick. The J4 also has what we call "backdoor settings." Subtrims and gyro gain can be adjusted by holding down the rignt stick and pressing down on the left stick 3 times. The transmitter itself is quite ergonomic and it feels nice in the hands. It uses 4 X AA batteries.

The heli

-As mentioned, I am very impressed with this heli. Below, I will post some flight videos and you will see why. It flies beautifully. There is a small issue with the flybar hitting the canopy, but this is easily avoided by simply mounting the canopy a bit lower to allow more flybar clearance. This is easily done and it takes a minute to do.

-The 228 uses two single servos, as opposed to linear servos found on most Solo Pros. The servos are rather large and they offer fast response and this translates to crisp cyclic response. This also makes it very easy to modify in order to have more servo throw. Longer servo arms will provide more servo throw.

-The tail rotor is driven by a shaft that runs inside the aluminium tail boom. The tail holds superbly, I'd say, better than any of the 4 channels Solo Pros. The piro rate is quite good. I think Nine Eagles did a good job, there. I've had a few crashes, too, and the entire tail boom and tail rotor assembly is holding up very well.

-In terms of power, the motor is VERY strong for this heli. Lift is excellent and the heli is very fast with only minor adjustments to the servos linkage.

-Flight time is the best of any other Solo Pros. You can get close to 8 minutes of good performance outdoor, and up to 10 minutes if you're just hovering around indoor.

-The aluminium tail boom and landing skids are a very nice touch. They are sturdy and they look great. The whole heli is actually very well made. It's nothing fancy but everything is there and it's quite sturdy.

-In flight, the heli is very responsive to cyclic input. Despite its larger size, it's more responsive, more nimble and faster than the smaller Solo Pro 328. And it's more stable, too. It's actually very fast. In the videos below I do not push the heli to its max potential. I'm taking it easy because I don't want to crash it. It can be pushed to go quite a bit faster. I push it a little in the outdoor video, but not a whole lot. That said, it feels very much like flying a Solo pro 328, except it's bigger, easier to see in the distance, more agile, faster and more stable all at once. Say what you will, this Solo pro has a lot going for itself.It's a sweet heli.

-This helis flies very well. It's fast, it's responsive and it's really fun to fly, indoor or outdoor. Compared with other Solo Pro models that require extensive flybar modifications to fly at their best, the Solo pro 228P only requires a simple ONE-minute modification in order to lower the canopy a little bit. Nothing else needs to be done to this heli for it to fly very well. This is a welcome change from Nine Eagles.

Pros

- Stable and agile

- Excellent flight time

- Larger size makes flying at higher altitude possible. You can see the heli far away because it's quite big.

- Durable build. For example, the flybar can bend, but it's darn hard to break. It can simply be bent back into shape after a crash because it's metal. This is very nice.

- Shaft driven tail rotor, excellent rudder response and a very steady tail hold. Perfect.

- Good power, good lift, good speed

- It looks good!

- No significant modifications required for this heli to perform well out of the box.

-All parts are affordable and widely available

-The heli is priced well. It is very good value for the price and it performs just as well, if not better than some far more expensive competitors' models.

-Easy to fly

Cons

-Bigger and heavier means more chances of breaking something in a crash compared with smaller models like the Solo Pro 260 or 270.

- This heli will not fly well in very strong wind. (In the video below, the wind was mild. )

-The flybar weights are a tad light. This makes the helicopter nimble and responsive at the price of reduced self stabilization. Many pilots will probably like it just like that, but I would prefer it if the flybar weights were a tad heavier.

Final Word

Simply put, this heli is AWESOME. I'm liking it very much. It's a durable 4 channels, fixed pitch, single rotor heli that holds its own superbly. You are sure to see more flight videos of this helicopter from me in the near future. But for now, here's an outdoor flight video and an indoor flight video with commentaries. This should give you a better idea of what I'm writing about in this mini review.

Here's hoping you enjoyed the review.

Chris

Solo Pro 228P Quick Outdoor Flight (6 min 40 sec)

Solo Pro 228P Quick Indoor Flight (6 min 39 sec)
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Apr 22, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:16 PM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Essen
Joined Feb 2012
39 Posts
A very nice report. The SP228 is Nine Eagles really well.
OxigenO2 is offline Find More Posts by OxigenO2
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxigenO2 View Post
A very nice report. The SP228 is Nine Eagles really well.
Thank you.

It is indeed very nice right out of the box. The small adjustment to the canopy takes a minute to do and it's the only thing that really needs to be done to this heli. It flies awesome.

To be frank, I was never a big fan of the 228 because I thought the flybar had clearance issues. It's true but it takes a minute to solve that. Now that I actually tried the 228, I like it a lot! It's awesome. I had a couple nasty crash with it and the damage was minimal. I will post a crash video later to show you.

Now that I'm done doing a review of this heli in its stock form, I will try two modifications. I always tinker and modify my helis. It's part of the fun for me. I will try a bit more weight on the flybar and I will lengthen the servo arms a bit to had more servo throw. The heli is already pretty fast, but with more throw it will be ridiculously fast. With more weight on the flybar, it will be more forgiving coming out of aggressive turns; less countering stick input will be required. Though, like I mentioned in the review, I think many pilots will like the flybar weight just like it is because it banks better and it's more agile with a lighter flybar. Me? I want to try a bit more weight because I'm willing to trade a bit of agility for a bit more forgiveness because I plan to make this heli go SO fast that forgiveness will be helpful.

The weather seems promising, here, today, so you can expect more flying videos of the 228P later if the rain stays at bay.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,661 Posts
If anyone wonders about the 228's durability, just watch this short crash video. The audio is edited (it's not me screaming) and the crash is in slow motion. The "bang" noise, though, is unedited. It is the actual noise it made when it crashed. Nasty. Bent flybar and nothing else broke. Not even the canopy. I think I was lucky on that one, though. I straightened the flybar and I was back in the air. This crash happened before I filmed the videos in the above review, for your information. I grazed the building facade and I lost control.

Solo Pro 228 Nasty Crash (0 min 27 sec)

And now, as promised, here's some more aggressive flying with the 228. This is BY FAR the fastet flight video for the 228 on the whole wide web. I was trying some heavier weights on the flybar, but frankly, I don't like it much. It's too heavy and it introduces mild flybar strikes. I prefer the stock flybar.

Solo Pro 228P's Fastest Outdoor Flight on YouTube (4 min 18 sec)

Enjoy the videos!

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Sint-Pieters-Leeuw
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
Nice revue. Seems effectively a nice big micro.

But : Quote Bopepine :
"Specifications:
-2.4GHz 4 channels
-Model No.: RX:NE R/C 228A
-TX: NE-T016 (J4)
"

Not correct : in the rest you're naming it correctly a 228P .

If I understand it right the 228A was equipped with metal rotorhead and swash whereas the "P" seems to be back to plastics.
228 A Rotor

228A Swash

and links

228P swash:

Is this correct ? Could the metal spare parts of the 228A mean an improvement ?
Koala2 is offline Find More Posts by Koala2
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,661 Posts
Thanks Koala. I changed the letter to a P. I think you are right.

The metal parts are surely more durable, but they are very much the same, I think. So performance should be the same, too, in my opinion.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
39 Posts
And they look solo pro 228A with TX J5 on the spare parts.
http://www.nineeagle.com/products_de...158426856.html

And they look solo pro 228A with TX J4 on the spare parts.
http://www.nineeagle.com/products_de...158426856.html
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
228 A TX:NE-T012 = J5 Pro - 5 channel
228 P TX:NE-T016 = J4 Pro - 4 channel
Together with the metal parts this could explain the huge difference in price.
228 A about 280 USD, 228 P about 120 USD.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
39 Posts
In Austria the SP 228A and the SP 228P for 135 euros are sold.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:27 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I am now seriously considering one of these 228p's.

I have a J6Pro on order - I hope it binds.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
A must see - camera on board of 228 A

I stumbled upon this video while searching info on the 228 A; The first tryouts weren't very succesfull but you have to see the end of this movie. Fabulous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Sb9BKD52U_Q

BTW J6 Pro should bind with 228 because I just ordered my 228 A and my seller tells me it comes with the J6 TX.

I saw the Austrian as well as the Australian sites but they mix up the identification the same way HeliPal and other vendors do, even when they announce selling 228 A it still is a 228 P with plastic head and swash and a J4 Pro TX. Difference in price is normal as with the 228 A you get metal parts and the J6 Pro. A few vendor sites say the 228 A has simply been renamed to 228 P but that is not correct since Nine Eagles themselves give them a separate helis.
Last edited by Koala2; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
NE 228 A/P flybar mod

This fan of NE 228 A has three videos published on Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/user/SwedishRC. In this one he explains that he'd buy the 228 again as he finds it a very good heli, except that it was a bit too much self stabilising : hence he modified the stock flybar reducing the weights. His heli looks like a 228 P but thats because he chrashed and replaced the original canopy with a new one. In his former flight videos it had the original yellow canopy and was marked 228A.
NE Solo Pro 228 - After flight Review (4 min 18 sec)
I think his advice to start with the stock flybar unmodified is good advice.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala2 View Post
I stumbled upon this video while searching info on the 228 A; The first tryouts weren't very succesfull but you have to see the end of this movie. Fabulous!http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=Sb9BKD52U_Q

BTW J6 Pro should bind with 228 because I just ordered my 228 A and my seller tells me it comes with the J6 TX.

I saw the Austrian as well as the Australian sites but they mix up the identification the same way HeliPal and other vendors do, even when they announce selling 228 A it still is a 228 P with plastic head and swash and a J4 Pro TX. Difference in price is normal as with the 228 A you get metal parts and the J6 Pro. A few vendor sites say the 228 A has simply been renamed to 228 P but that is not correct since Nine Eagles themselves give them a separate helis.
If he is flying with a Gopro that really shows the lift power of the 228.

But in the last part I am pretty sure he is carrying the heli.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,661 Posts
This is hilarious. I'm going to be very blunt and say that that fellow has no clue what he is talking about regarding the flybar. Sorry. In my review I mention that the heli is on the low side of self stabilization. This means having to use the sticks to counter unwanted movement.

Gordonzo, you know how the 328 needs heavier weights on the flybar to pull aggressive moves? Well, the 228P is a bit like that but not as bad as the 328. It will fly well out of the box compared with the 328, but if you push it, then you may encounter the same death dives as you would with a stock 328, unless you use counter stick when you fly it. Hence why I mentioned in my review that this heli will not fly itself if you go aggressive on the cyclic. You'll have to counter not only the ailerons, but the elevator as well. Contrary to the 328, however, countering works. On the 328, no amount of countering will save you from a crash sometimes, but with the 228, proper stick execution keeps you in the air with no problems.

Bottom line, the 228 doesn't have too much self stabilization, it lacks it a bit. That swedishrc bloke is out to lunch. Period. Just look at the video again and notice how he says that the heli will move back on its own instead when trying to stop forward motion. This is essentially describing the effect of a flybar that is a tad too light, not too heavy. By filing his flybar weights down, he made this worse. I believe his videos are not honest, and that is all I have to say about that.

Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:50 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Chris - It sounds like I would probably like the way the 228p flys. I see that you cut a new opening for the skids to lower the canopy - a very simple solution that obviously works well, too. If Nine Eagles hired you as a consultant we wouldn't have to fix the doggone flybar strikes any more! Are you listening Nine Eagles?

Like you said, with the 328a, once its going, its gone. You can't get it back in control. The Xtreme flybar fixed that for me, until I broke it but that's another story. Good thing I have spares for it.

If the 228p can fly on the edge of control but still come back - I really like that style of flying. I have actually been looking for the best price on the 228p and to Canada is about $150 +/-.

regards . . . g