Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:32 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Discussion
First They Came for the Jew, but I Wasn't a Jew, So I Did Nothing...

"Now they've come for the restaurant, but I didn't eat there so I did nothing..."

Here's a poignant reminder to all of us about the liberties we lose daily but don't do anything about it which results in losing more and more liberties at the hands of an out of control bureaucracy.

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Heartbroken customers lined up for meal at a closing San Francisco institution — a 100-year-old Chinese restaurant once known for having "the world's rudest waiter." Diners of decades past say he would verbally abuse patrons, slam down dishes, and chastise complainers.

Sam Wo, a Chinatown hole-in-the-wall that typified the kind of ethnic eateries for which the city's culinary scene was lauded before it became a trendy haven for foodies, planned to serve its last customers early Saturday.

David Ho, a descendent of one of the restaurant's original owners, decided to shut down after officials demanded extensive health and safety upgrades.

On Friday, saddened patrons lined down the block to get a seat at one of the eight lunch tables and to mourn the loss of another San Francisco institution over bowls of won ton soup.

"I know change is good, but sometimes you want to hold onto the happy memories," said customer Darlene Lee, 71, who had been coming to the restaurant for 60 years and said its inexpensive fare was comfort food that reminded her of going home.
http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...7-db7e551a010d
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:36 AM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Well..... this happened in Kalifornia, they get what they deserve.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:39 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,225 Posts
What a shame... They have to abide by cleanliness standards ...like everyone else.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
What a shame... They have to abide by cleanliness standards ...like everyone else.
Right, a restaurant that's been in business for a 100 years has all of a sudden become a deathly poison pit.

Yea, OK.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
Right, a restaurant that's been in business for a 100 years has all of a sudden become a deathly poison pit.

Yea, OK.
another strange part of this story is that the owner died at age 57...seems very young for clean living Orientals...it makes me wonder if he had some 'bad habits'.?
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:56 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
I wouldn't even comment on a story like this without knowing what the issues were. If they have 100-year old electrical wiring and plumbing, and are using a tree trunk to butcher ducks, it probably is time to modern up.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:15 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,542 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm kinda on the fence about this one. While I rail against any sort of government overreach, especially the kind that negatively impact a thriving business, in this case, there may be something said for requiring an eatery to meet certain standards. This is especially so in the health (read cleanliness, sanitation) arena. Foodborne illness originating in restaurants has been greatly curbed over the decades precisely because of government regulations.

The "safety" issue is a bit more murky..... are they talking about outdated equipment in the restaurant that still functions just fine? I'd be against requiring any kind of retrofits to bring things up to current code, provided everything is still working as originally intended. Now, when the owner decides it's time to change things, at that point, any modernizations should be required to meet current code.... You don't just go around changing things to meet new rules and regulations. If we had to do that, anyone who lives in a house more than a few years old would constantly be redoing things to meet new regs.....

Just my 2 cents.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Not at all sure what the issue is here - do we want minimum standards enforced or not ?
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
conversely...some of our rights are still being upheld by the Supreme court.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/M...n/-/index.html
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post

Yea, OK.
All of a sudden? No, they've been shut down numerous times in the past.

Once again you've started a thread you know nothing about, and tried to make it into something it isn't.

It's an old restaurant business - yes. Unsafe for it's customers AND staff. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
I wouldn't even comment on a story like this without knowing what the issues were. If they have 100-year old electrical wiring and plumbing, and are using a tree trunk to butcher ducks, it probably is time to modern up.
Give this man a star - that is exactly the problem.

Even the daughter of the owner says they are not a healthy place to eat OR work. She's been interviewed a few times this week on the local news and says it's sad but long overdue.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
Santo, Tx. La Tierra de Dios
Joined Nov 2005
149 Posts
Anyone here remember ol' Jesse Jackson admitting to spitting in white peoples food when he was a waitor because he hated all whites?
Whizz is offline Find More Posts by Whizz
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYPILEIT View Post
another strange part of this story is that the owner died at age 57...seems very young for clean living Orientals...
Maybe thugs from the Yakuza took him out back and beat him like a rug ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
Disgruntled Member
United States, OK, Anadarko
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Maybe thugs from the Yakuza took him out back and beat him like a rug ?.
Why? He was Chinese not Japanese...
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
Why? He was Chinese not Japanese...
Racism
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post
All of a sudden? No, they've been shut down numerous times in the past.

Once again you've started a thread you know nothing about, and tried to make it into something it isn't.

But it gives him a chance to get in a dig about THE GOVERNMENT....have you no shame man ?......this is what some people here live for. Get up in the morning, , shave, shower, shampoo, eat breakfast, and log on to RCGroups and create another political rant. It's just another daily ritual, are you trying to upset people's customary habits ?. Just like having to check the coffee pot 10 times in a row to make sure it's turned off, or re-entering the room 3-4 times to make sure the lights are turned out. It just makes some people comfortable to have that little bit of daily routine in their lives.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee