SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:09 AM
Screamin' fast!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Discussion
Anyone tried any Art Hobby DLGs?

Very nice price. I thought I'd see if anyone has experience.
CrazyJB is offline Find More Posts by CrazyJB
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Screamin' fast!
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Good on slope? Heavy winds?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Screamin' fast!
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
I asked Andre at Art Hobby and the Hybrid DL is excellent on slope in over 40 mph winds and can fly in greater winds with ballast. (in case anyone else is wants to know)

So, what are our hours at Los Paseos? Is there somewhere I can fly everyday without spending an arm and a leg in gas? (95123)
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:54 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
865 Posts
Good for slope as has been said. Too heavy for flat land thermal (I owned one so know first hand.). If you plan to thermal soar it with us, better to save up for a Predator 2 (my top pick for a first DLG).
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
Screamin' fast!
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan View Post
Good for slope as has been said. Too heavy for flat land thermal (I owned one so know first hand.). If you plan to thermal soar it with us, better to save up for a Predator 2 (my top pick for a first DLG).
Good to know, yeah, I looked up Hybrid DL and thermal. So, my dad wouldn't like it much but I'm one to add ballast.

WOAH! My own finish is particularly important with this one. I wonder if I can do that. Is this the only place that sells them? http://hjz-model-eshop.idv.tw/en/

Does the Predator 2 make a good sloper?

-Joel
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:19 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
865 Posts
Yep, that is the only place to buy them. He is the manufacturer, a one man operation, and a good guy. He does not use distributors, he only sells direct, which saves the middle man mark-up.

I've flown my Predators on the slope many times. They are fun in light air (like 5mph and not more than 10 mph), but not so good when the wind comes up. They are so darn light and you can't add enough ballast to make them a good slope ship. Not enough room and the construction is too light/weak to carry more than a few ounces. If you have the feel for speed on the slope, this is not the plane. They are fragile too and slopes are not known for having the best landing areas.

It's impossible to find a plane that is great for slope AND thermal. It's either great at one and poor at the other, or if the desinger tried to make it able to do both equally well, it does neither really well.

I guess you should ask yourself if you want to mostly slope or thermal with this next plane. Note we are having a DLG contest on May 5th if you want to stop by to see what flat land DLG flying is all about.

Bob
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:20 AM
Screamin' fast!
Joined Nov 2011
142 Posts
THAT'S what I want to do. Build my own gliders with my signature style finish or optionally unfinished.

So, I would probably like the Hybrid DL then. I love my Agena ES for it's speed and aerobatic capability and I land and relaunch a lot anyways. I read people have put the Hybrid LD on a winch too.

I know thermal. I was at the Newark ALES contest in november.
Last edited by CrazyJB; Apr 28, 2012 at 03:33 AM.