HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:50 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,560 Posts
Discussion
An AW Sh*t day?

I guess it was bound to happen. I don't have the area to fly planes in here at the house unless I get up around 60 feet or so. The usual trees, powerlines, buildings, etc. etc and I'm only operating on 1/4 acre. Sounds big but it isn't. It runs like 90' x 121' or 99' x 110'. But you have to understand, there are 30~60' treees on three sides and 20' powerlines on the 4th side. None-the-less, I dummied up today and sent my foamy into the the skies under 10~15mph winds at ground level. Understand I can only see about 100' in three directions because of tree height when I'm about 60' up.

Here's where & when things went wrong. I 'had' the bird pointed upwind on the only 'clear' side when the darn winds sucked that poor bird towards its eventual demise. Pretty much like a bird of prey grabbing a fish from a lake. It was there and then it was gone. My immediate reaction was to pull up and go vertical so I could see the bird. Alas, it was not to be. It disappeared. I pulled the power back and went looking. Much to my surpise, it was lodged in my neighbors tree about 40' up and in 1 piece. I knew it was there because I could throttle up and hear it running. For whatever reason, it quit running but I could now see it. Now the fun begins, how to get it down.

Let me preface this story by telling you I'm no longer 12, 16 or even 18 years old. But, I'm WAY to darn old to be climbing 40' into the trees to get a 100 dollar foamy back. But being the tightwad I am, I WANTED that bird back. What to do? I enlisted the efforts of the neighbors. Now usually, my next door neighbor has a tractor with a loader bucket that will reach about 16' but it was on loan someplace so that was out. BUT, he has a 4wd truck that sits higher then my 2wd so there's the base. Next we install a 20' extension ladder in the bed. Dang! Still 15 or 20' feet short of the branch. Ah Ha, get the old tree trimmer extendible saw out. Aw cr*p, it still won't reach the branches where the plane is sitting. Another ah-ha moment rises up and we get out a fishing pole with weights on the ends. Alas, the caster (and castees) couldn't hit water if they were standing on the end of a dock. Now all the neighbors are gathered and wondering just what in the world is going on as we're casting into the tree and we basically have a circus side show going on with the tree owner videoing everything. We're now relegated to throwing sticks and balls, plus casting to get this sucker out of the tree to no avail. The circus was in town. Then another ah-ha moment comes into fruition. An 8" crescent wrench tied to some nylon survey string. Two casts later and we're set. Pull pull, plus readjustments and a lot of cuss words and the plane is on the ground. It's in 3 pieces but..what the heck! Back to the web to order some new depron, just like it never happened. Talk about a dog and pony show. Best of all, this was our 1st neighborhood gathering for this year and we all got to BS and laugh our rearends off. That was worth way more then the stupid plane. Whooda thunk it?

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
to remove ads between posts