Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Discussion
Toy to Hobby Hovercraft

I got this toy hovercraft several christmases back and since then, the battery life has suffered immensely and things just seem faster when you're 9 So I decided to take it all apart and replace everything inside with hobby electronics seeing as I already had a fairly nice body and skirt. (though the skirt's actually crap) I stuffed a 40 amp esc inside powering a 70mm ducted fan. The FM receiver I was using before suddenly started glitching non stop so I trashed it and am currently awaiting my ar600. The liter motor is wired in parallel to the esc and currently consumes loads of power. (only getting 3 minute runs and the motor seems to be overheating)

Original:

New:

I know I know, butt ugly planning on painting it red and white or just camo it the not-so distance future.

70mm edf and quadruple rudders:

had to make room for the 3 cell by dremeling out part of the old battery hatch

I already tore the skirt not once but twice Probably really easy to repair with a bike inner tube repair kit.

Anyways, I'm curious weather I should buy an esc for the stock, brushed lifter motor and experiment with throttle/ lifter mixes and such. I'm worried that the skirt might tear when the lifter turns off if. Though I need the stoping power after seeing hard it is to stop a hovercraft with a 70mm edf attached. I guess I could reinforce the bottom of the skirt but it seems sort of sloppy.
ramicaza is offline Find More Posts by ramicaza
Last edited by ramicaza; Apr 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Update 4/26/2012

Got my receiver today and decided to scrap the dc lifter and replace it with a brushless also re-enforced the skirt with some tape on the bottom
Pictures in a few minutes...
RC Hovercraft Conversion (1 min 10 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,096 Posts
Nice modifications! I almost bought one of those when I was younger.
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
Thanks! why didn't you? This thing was fun as hell even before the conversion.
Anyhow, here are some of the pictures I promised.

Random out runner I had laying around

That video was shot without any re-enforcements on the skirts hence the cautious driving style I just added some tape to the bottom which seems to work fine. It works amazing know! Well it did until I crashed it today Time to get the epoxy out

One last question... I have the pusher on the throttle channel and the lifter on the elevator channel. I'm wondering if this is "standard" as I don't want to get used to the "wrong" configuration. Or is this not really defined and based on personal preference?
Last edited by ramicaza; Apr 27, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:28 AM
The Anti-Heli
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Dec 2011
16 Posts
nobody.... -___-

Anywho.... Totaled it today. Though I had some fun in the process. No wonder no one fpv's hovercrafts lol. Enjoy:
FPV- from a HOVERCRAFT! (5 min 39 sec)