HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
60 Posts
Discussion
What motor is best to use for upgrading the Easystar?

I want more push for my EZ, the motor that came with it is not strong enough. Just wondering which motor along with the other components (esc, battery, ect.) would be best to use for upgrading my ez?
easystarfpv4 is offline Find More Posts by easystarfpv4
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
You want a 28 mm inrunner with a Kv rating of around 2200-2500, rated for 250-300 watts. Couple that with a 25-30 amp ESC, a 3S/2200 lipo battery, and an APC 6x4E propeller.

The 28 mm inrunner motor is a perfect physical replacement for the stock Permax motor, ie., it fits precisely in the motor mount cavity of an EasyStar. An inrunner is a very logical choice here because of the need for high Kv value (Kv = rpm per volt) which is in turn necessitated by the rather small prop that you're stuck with.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:40 AM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,464 Posts
There are a myriad of options for the EZ-Star - IF - you are willing to do a little work and IF you keep an open mind and are willing to try "different" things.

You can "make" a mount by creating several "circles" (I think I drew around a quarter for mine) from almost any material - i.e. cardboard, foam, depron, plywood, balsa, etc., etc.. Then cut, drill or shape a square hole in the center to fit a simple 10mm X 10mm (3/8 X 3/8) motor stick. Push the circles into the EZ motor mounting hole at varying spaces and then insert a short motor mount stick to protrude out of the old mount by about 1" or so.

Use a plastic stick mount (the grey one supplied with TP motors is shown but any of the GWS mounts work too) and a small ply backing plate to afix the Bell motor of your choice to the mount. Simple three screw mount. Also you "can" (this is what I do) drill out the three mounting holes in the motors firewall mount plate to 3mm and then tap these to a 3mm thread. Use 3mm fine thread screws to mount the motor to the plate sandwiching the plastic motor mount in between the two. Works very well and is easy to change.

The "offset" of the plastic motor mount raises the motor about 1" above the old mount - and consequently allows a prop size much larger than before. This allows for a LOWER KV motor to be used which can be much more efficient and also will allow for a FOLDING prop to be mounted.

I simply velcroed my ESC to the fuse top instead of running the wiring through the fuse - better cooling anyway - but like I said you can put it into the place intended for it IN the fuse interior if you desire.

Photos below are (or should be! LOL!!) self explanitory.

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille