HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Discussion
Best stabilization software

I know that I could post this in other forums but I value the HFP members opinions a little more than others...

Yesterday I was out shooting a new factory that one of our clients is building. I had just enough battery left after several flights to try one more shot (it was an ascending / up and over shot of a milk silo revealing the new addition behind them). It turned out to be a really cool shot but the wind had picked up and I really needed to make a gain adjustment. The video was not as smooth as I wanted. Unfortunately I didn't have battery left to take another shot. So when we got back to the shop we looked at the footage and realize it's such a cool shot that the producer decides to have the editor try to clean it up. He used Motion and also the built in Final Cut plug ins. The results were good but it got me to wonder what everyone is using to do post processing. I need to ask what our After Effects guys would use too. I'm specifically interested in Mac options.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Last edited by JZSlenker; Apr 20, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
from what I have read and used Mercalli by proDAD is the best option for PC or Mac. It is a plugin for FC, Premier, Vegas and basically all editors

http://www.prodad.com/home/products/...667,l-us.xhtml

they have a full feature trial for 30day... it will speak for itself
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Ive tried Mercalli and it does a good job but you will always lose some resolution when using stabilization software. The following was with a cheap camera on a gimbal that was just swinging without servos etc. I did this 6 or 7 months ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn-rR...7dAUAAAAAAAhAA
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
that is impressive..... as for resolution...

if you shoot in 1080p you can then make your project 720p and not lose any resolution...

I know it is not the same as full 1080p but at least there is no upscaling
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
The loss in resolution comes from the fact to make the correction all stabilization software crops in on the image which in turn means a loss of pixels etc.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:03 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
735 Posts
I'll tell you what the editors said after my first shoot. "we don't and will not use post-stabilization"

That was a big wake up call. We have spent alot of time on the software to increase the percentage of useable video.

If you have to use post-stabilization because of flight corrections I need to know about it.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:11 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
That's is good to know.

I for my video right now getting the gimbal to move smoothly but quickly is the hardest part.

I have a MKTR but I will tune it better next week and I also have askmans new gimbal which needs me to swap out my savox servos for my MKS servos.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:52 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Thats interesting Al, recently Pete (efliernz) and I did a job for Nokia for the ad agency Colenso and one conversation I had with the director was about what sort of post production and stabilization if any they would use. In the end because of the nature of the job they didnt use any stabilization but there was an awful lot of clever editing to fit 3 different flights together to make it look like one seamless flight.
With the fishing show shoots you did which were superb btw, I noticed you didnt use the roll controls on the gimbal controls. Were you using the sport board or the HFP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
I'll tell you what the editors said after my first shoot. "we don't and will not use post-stabilization"

That was a big wake up call. We have spent alot of time on the software to increase the percentage of useable video.

If you have to use post-stabilization because of flight corrections I need to know about it.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 02:18 AM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
The loss in resolution comes from the fact to make the correction all stabilization software crops in on the image which in turn means a loss of pixels etc.
Actually that's not the case, at least not with After Effects CS5.5 Warp Stabilizer. You can control crop, scale, perspective, etc., so you can turn cropping off and then as Addidas mentioned place the footage into a 720p sequence-pan and scan and there's no loss of resolution.

Also depending on the source footage, you can easily scale footage from a Red or 5dMkII, for example, 6-10% without any perceptible difference.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:04 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Thanks for that Chuck, I havent tried After Effects and I was parroting what i had been told by a video suite editor re: all stabilization software.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Thats interesting Al, recently Pete (efliernz) and I did a job for Nokia for the ad agency Colenso and one conversation I had with the director was about what sort of post production and stabilization if any they would use. In the end because of the nature of the job they didnt use any stabilization but there was an awful lot of clever editing to fit 3 different flights together to make it look like one seamless flight.
With the fishing show shoots you did which were superb btw, I noticed you didnt use the roll controls on the gimbal controls. Were you using the sport board or the HFP?
I used mostly the SPORT board with a fixed mount GoPro or Contour+ for the fishing show.

However in the last show of the season in the opening there is a shot with a Tilt/Roll compensated gimbal and GoPro (Using a PRO board this time). It was shot over a pool with about 10 mph of wind with random gusts of maybe 15-20 mph. Really not good conditions. The shot was used raw as usual and you can barely see any movement.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
A gopro? That's cool and interesting to hear.....

In the world of large octos with brushless monster torque servos and highly engineered gimbals with controllers like the picloc.... An on stabilized gopro shot was what was needed/used.

That is good info. I think a lot of people think you need a $2k rig to shoot with.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:45 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Thanks Al, the latest gimbal firmware in my few tests so far seems really good. I cant wait to get my build issues solved and get around to making proper use of it. I have noticed a many of the pro shooters dont appear to use roll compensation no matter what FC they use but prefer to simply use controlled flying etc. I cant wait to see your new gimbal control board.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
This is the first shoot that I would have even considered requesting stabilization during editing. It wasn't the fault of anything HF coded into the firmware. It was due to a lack of more flight batteries. If I could have made some more gain adjustments I would have been perfect. The shots from earlier in the day were perfect. There is plenty of usable footage. The producer just wanted to try to clean up the last shot because it was so cool. The project is being posted in 720P so stabilizing the 1080 footage would not have cost us any resolution. Typically I don't give our Asset Technician any footage to ingest into the SAN that isn't usable as is. But the producer gets what she wants. The Mercalli looks promising. I'll have an editor play with that and still plan on talking to the motion graphics dept. about AE warp stabilizer.

Stacky, I'm hopeful too that the new gimbal code will work well. I get silky smooth shots with a fixed mount and just flying manual. I have yet to see a plethora of footage shot from gimbals that is even close to smooth enough for video. HF continues to surprise and impress me so here is hoping...

Thanks for the input guys!
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
The project is being posted in 720P so stabilizing the 1080 footage would not have cost us any resolution.
Hi JZSlenker, can you explain the workflow in AE to stabilize in 1080 and changing to 720P without loosing resolution? Is there anything I have to do? Or do you just stabilize and convert to 720P?

Thanks
Reginak is offline Find More Posts by Reginak