HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, MA, Sturbridge
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
Discussion
Ah no, lost my plane! **RECOVERED!**

Decided to try to do some cloud surfing today. Had some nice puffy clouds up above. Put the gopro on a launched. My first flight went great got up to 4000ft and just barely got into the clouds. I had enough battery to get back as I was a little down wind about 2500ft. I could have motored back but I just glided back power off the whole way and landed right next to me in the field. I put in a fresh battery in and tried again. I was able to climbed up to about 4000ft and I was about 3000ft out. Things were going ok and I got above the clouds some. Things got screwy and the plane was being battered by wind I was paying too much attenting to trying to stabilize the plane above the clouds, when I sould have been paying attention to the OSD and gettign out the clouds and heading back home. I noticed my voltage was at 10.5 so I pointed the plane home but it was so windy I was being pushed north even while descending into the wind. The osd gps wasnt displaying the direction right because the plane was being pushed backwards so my heading was distorted. I was looking at the ground for landmarks and I was at about 3000ft alt and had been swept all the way to 8500ft out. My voltage dropped rapidly from 10.5v down and then I lost my video signal (descended too low?? Im not sure), I hit Return to home and tried desperately to get a video signal while reciting most of the curse words I know, to no avail.

The last thing i saw was 8xxxx feet out and it was in RTH, I think I saw the voltage had dropped to 8.5 but I could be mistaken the signal was really distorted. I drove around for an hour with my patch antenna but could not find the plane. It went down in an area with lots of forest. I had my phone number on the plane but who knows if anyone will ever find it. ;( It probably glided down right into the forest somewhere.

I had no intentions of going out that far, and I should have corrected immediately when I saw I was 3000ft out.

So if it never turns up I'm out a new Gopro hd2, dragon link 12chan rx, Nova OSD, battery, cheap ccd cam, and the Hawk Sky. Ah balls.. this rots. Maybe she will turn up, maybe she wont but there is a LOT of forest to search.

**** PLANE RECOVERED! Was 2 miles out in someones back yard! ****
The following video got the whole thing.
Hawk Sky FPV plane crashes two miles out! Onboard hd camera (Warren MA) (7 min 24 sec)
slowjett is online now Find More Posts by slowjett
Last edited by slowjett; Apr 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
=( so sorry man. Don't lose all hope though.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,336 Posts
wow that sucks... maybe you could draw a line on google maps from where you were and the last known position of the plane and put your forest boots to try to find it follwing this line. You could also find out the wind direction and compute some curve or something on the map.

Any ground recording?

I sure would spend a day or two trying to find my plane if that would have happened to me!
metalfred is online now Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
wow that sucks... maybe you could draw a line on google maps from where you were and the last known position of the plane and put your forest boots to try to find it follwing this line. You could also find out the wind direction and compute some curve or something on the map.

Any ground recording?

I sure would spend a day or two trying to find my plane if that would have happened to me!
No ground recording. I dont know exactly where it was but I have a rough idea. Im not sure how to draw lines on google maps or find wind charts.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
4 Posts
uff, I had a similar incident some months ago. Now im flying an X5 Flying Wing and waiting to get some EzUHF.

Anyway is a good practice to put one of this http://compare.ebay.com/like/1708234...ar=lv&var=sbar gps trackers on our models. So after a loss you can dial the gps unit and get the GPS coordinates to recover it back.

Im sorry man.
AndresCL is offline Find More Posts by AndresCL
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,209 Posts
Bummer. After my last incident, I bought one of those GPS trackers and never fly without it if going outside of visual range.
Got any other camera planes to assist ? That's how I found mine...combed the area with a flying wing and key chain camera.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:02 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
What you need to do is search google maps and it will let you draw circles on the map. You need to draw a circle out to 8xxx ft what ever the last distance was. Now you need to look in the direction the wind was blowing. Look for landmarks that look familuar. Once you find those darw a line staight to the HOME SET place. If the RTH was reliable then the plane should be somewhere along that line. Depending on how high you were you can further guess about where your plane might be.
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Bummer. After my last incident, I bought one of those GPS trackers and never fly without it if going outside of visual range.
Got any other camera planes to assist ? That's how I found mine...combed the area with a flying wing and key chain camera.
Ive actually got a wing on the bench. No motor, no electronics/servos. Now I have no DL receiver. But I do have a chainlink setup I never used. Actually.... I have a foam plane I built and its ready to fly its just not stable and when pitched down, dives straight for the ground! I guess I could fly it los with the chainlink. Tomorrow the weather is nice, i will hit the woods looking for it. I might go get my horse and bring him down to the area as I could cover more ground that way. I'll put up some flyers that state a reward, my phone number is on the main part of the fuselage on thermal printed paper which shoudl still be legible if it gets wet. It's positioned so if the plane broke up it would probably be readable still.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
What you need to do is search google maps and it will let you draw circles on the map. You need to draw a circle out to 8xxx ft what ever the last distance was. Now you need to look in the direction the wind was blowing. Look for landmarks that look familuar. Once you find those darw a line staight to the HOME SET place. If the RTH was reliable then the plane should be somewhere along that line. Depending on how high you were you can further guess about where your plane might be.
My only concern is that the RTH used ailerons to steer. And with no motor in potentially high wind every time the plane tried to correct its course it probably got blown way off course.

if anyone wants to volunteer to fly over the area, I will pay a reward!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
When an OSD says 8500ft LOS. What does Line of sight mean? plotted on a map, or does it count the diagonal distance to the aircraft?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, NJ, Newton
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
Dont loose hope, i found my plane & Gopro 2 weeks later with the help of google earth 1 time.Another time it was it was found with the help of a local hobby store $100.00 reward. I still dont have a tracker, yet. it's worth it to go for a hike or bike ride.
NJFPVER is offline Find More Posts by NJFPVER
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:04 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
Thanks guys for the positive words! It's helping.

I've made a mockup of the possible flight path.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...012566,0.01929

Now if I could get a tricopter set up in the next few days maybe I could find it!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, NJ, Newton
Joined Feb 2012
67 Posts
Get's me thinking if it can happen twice it will happen a third time. i just orderd my GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndresCL View Post
uff, I had a similar incident some months ago. Now im flying an X5 Flying Wing and waiting to get some EzUHF.

Anyway is a good practice to put one of this http://compare.ebay.com/like/1708234...ar=lv&var=sbar gps trackers on our models. So after a loss you can dial the gps unit and get the GPS coordinates to recover it back.

Im sorry man.
NJFPVER is offline Find More Posts by NJFPVER
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jun 2008
1,050 Posts
the only thing that worries me is that if there is no cell phone signal in the area.

I like the FMRS radio beacon idea.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
1st mistake: Not recording ground footage

2nd mistake : RTH

You plane being pushed will make the AP turn the plane the wrong way. It also makes using wind direction useless bc the AP would not have allowed the plane to just drift with the wind.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62