Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Discussion
Mikrokopter First and Second FPV vids... first Good... second... not so good :(

Hi all,

Well I have been gearing up for some FPV flights with the Mikrokopter for some time now and finally got the chance to have a flight with a spotter available on Friday the 13th April and Sunday the 15th April... as you will see the first FPV flight was weird for me... but pretty uneventful... if only the same could have been said for the second flight...

I had decided before commiting the MK to the air that I would wear a dictaphone and record a commentary of how I felt about the flights. Here's a warning, there is no music over these videos, just me rabbiting on and on...

Enjoy (well maybe not the second video),
Terry.

First FPV flight of Mikrokopter (11 min 11 sec)

Second FPV Flight of Mikrokopter - Crash! (7 min 37 sec)
chargenut is online now Find More Posts by chargenut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Hi, thanks for posting.
Did you use the same camera for fpv and fiming?
If so, how did you manage to keep the copter level when you tilted down?
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
I fly with my little eye
Lancashire, England
Joined Jul 2005
1,836 Posts
AArgh!

With your new camera on board too!

Anything survive?
Swanlander is offline Find More Posts by Swanlander
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Smile & wave
Lancing West Sussex
Joined Jun 2005
3,442 Posts
Oh mate,
It was interesting having your commentary through the filming. Is it back to the drawing board or were things damaged very badly?

Gray.
Gray is offline Find More Posts by Gray
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,488 Posts
Charge: Hope your MK didn't take too much damage. Did you lose signal?
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,711 Posts
Saw both videos.
Today i took my quad up as it was Very Windy
After 10 seconts i was sory i took it up......
When i landed i was praying to "finish it OK"
Ended up No damage
Swore top myself NEVER EVER even TRY to do a thing like that.

Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
900 Posts
Terry,

Sorry to hear/see your crash. You did well not to swear during the commentary!
Was there much damage done to the MK?

I have had a similar problem flying my Conrad Quad in changeable winds and was glad to get it down in one piece.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Im pretty new to fpv, have only about 20-30 flights but a couple of things that helped me a lot. The first one was doing a battery or two where I simply got airborne and hovered around only 20-30 feet up and maybe 30 feet away with the camera pointing at just me.

I have found from LOS and FPV that taking off on any ridge or crest of a hill even in relatively calm conditions you will always find some level of wind or breeze running over or across the ridge etc.

Also i prefer to take off with the goggles on, the first time is a bit unnerving but now it feels much more secure than getting airborne and then putting the goggles on.

I built a very simple and cheap quad just to learn fpv, something that wouldnt bother me too much if I crashed it. I ended up flying it around in fpv like a madman because I partly didnt care about the quad that much. Funny thing is I hardly crashed at all with it and have learned how to fly fpv and even take the little fpv quad up in windy conditions without fear. However my bigger more expensive multirotors I fly far more conservatively in fpv.

Hope you didnt have too much damage to your MK. Give building an ultra cheap and simple little quad for fpv learning a consideration, it will help with your confidence and ability when you try fpv with your high end MK later.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:26 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Firstly, thank you all for your kind comments, I have to say I was not as gutted about going in as I would have first thought I would be, I guess when you fly RC and especially FPV these things happen, and you have to accept them as part of our hobby.

Now to answer some of your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by babanan View Post
Hi, thanks for posting.
Did you use the same camera for fpv and fiming?
If so, how did you manage to keep the copter level when you tilted down?
@babanan, I was using the same camera for the recorded video as the "goggles" video feed on that first flight, the wind was low that day (very calm) and so the MK was pretty well locked in place once I got it hovering. Hence the sneaky little tilt down I did... it didn't last though as I had the MK wandering around and had to tilt back up again to get my bearings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanlander View Post
AArgh!
With your new camera on board too!
Anything survive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Oh mate,
It was interesting having your commentary through the filming. Is it back to the drawing board or were things damaged very badly?
Gray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearded Flyer View Post
Terry,
Sorry to hear/see your crash. You did well not to swear during the commentary!
Was there much damage done to the MK?
Richard
@Swanlander, @Gray, @Bearded Flyer - Well the MK dropped from around 80-90 feet on a slight diagonal descent (it seemed to drop an arm - don't know which one as it was too far away) and almost seemed to power down (or drastically reduce throttle). Hence it came in on one arms and kind of bent everything diagonally (two arms one was 45 degs up and one 45 degs down when it was placed level). The camera tilt mechanism is wrecked the GoPro was in an "SOS" state and the dome over the controller was destroyed. Three props were broken and the Lipo showed a definite bend in it!!
The MK was still powered up though as I used the "RC lost" warning beep to locate it in the heather on the common (by turning off the transmitter and following the beeps).

When I got back to the pilots area, I did power the MK back up and link it to my phone using Bluetooth. It reported the firmware and stated it had found 4 good Brushless controllers, so the MK controller "looks" like it might be ok, but needs some validating on the bench and in some non-AP flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
Charge: Hope your MK didn't take too much damage. Did you lose signal?
@glmccready - See above for damage info. Did I lose signal? Yes I think I did... I believe that the MK when into "lost RC" mode and put the motors into "landing" speed. I hadn't set a speed for the motors to cause a slow decent, as it changes dependant on weight carried... e.g. if you set them too high and reduced the weight the MK would climb out on RC loss not land!!! The other option (which would also cause a landing mode) is a loss of power in the battery, and that could also be a cause of the Video feed dropping out, although the battery showed 25% left when I got it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyg View Post
Saw both videos.
Today i took my quad up as it was Very Windy
After 10 seconts i was sory i took it up......
When i landed i was praying to "finish it OK"
Ended up No damage
Swore top myself NEVER EVER even TRY to do a thing like that.

Guy
@Guy - Yes flying in these windy conditions was my second biggest mistake. The first biggest was going into the goggles after seeing how bad the wind was and how much the MK was being blown around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Im pretty new to fpv, have only about 20-30 flights but a couple of things that helped me a lot. The first one was doing a battery or two where I simply got airborne and hovered around only 20-30 feet up and maybe 30 feet away with the camera pointing at just me.

I have found from LOS and FPV that taking off on any ridge or crest of a hill even in relatively calm conditions you will always find some level of wind or breeze running over or across the ridge etc.

Also i prefer to take off with the goggles on, the first time is a bit unnerving but now it feels much more secure than getting airborne and then putting the goggles on.

I built a very simple and cheap quad just to learn fpv, something that wouldnt bother me too much if I crashed it. I ended up flying it around in fpv like a madman because I partly didnt care about the quad that much. Funny thing is I hardly crashed at all with it and have learned how to fly fpv and even take the little fpv quad up in windy conditions without fear. However my bigger more expensive multirotors I fly far more conservatively in fpv.

Hope you didnt have too much damage to your MK. Give building an ultra cheap and simple little quad for fpv learning a consideration, it will help with your confidence and ability when you try fpv with your high end MK later.
@Stacky - Some very good advice there... all duly noted. I will be considering all this when I next FPV (which will be a little while off).

Finally, some maybe more upbeat news...
Based on the frame of the MK being killed... I thought it was time to change over to HEXA... I have already ordered 2 more motors (Purple Power from 4-max) and they have arrived. I have got a basic HEXA frame (very like my MK frame was with Aluminium arms on the fibre centre) from a very good mate who was there at the time. All I need now is 2 more Black Mantis ESCs (have 4 already) from GiantCod, but as they are moving, they have dropped stock..

Once all that is in I will get a Hexa built. I will also be using a Paris Wii Copter board for the interim as it gives me a chance to try that out as well (while I am validating the MK controller).

Also attached is a pic of the MK as it looks now (post crash).

Cheers again for the encouraging comments!,
Terry.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 05:39 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
Haslemere, Surrey.
Joined Nov 2003
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargenut View Post
The camera tilt mechanism is wrecked the GoPro was in an "SOS" state...
Forgot to say... once powered down and back up again the GoPro came back to life, but it had lost the last 30-40 secs of the flight due to losing the "buffer" of video on impact (I think the GoPro buffers before writing to the SD card). So I still have the GoPro working!

Cheers,
T