Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
James Gang #1
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Jan 2005
292 Posts
Discussion
Civil Air Patrol Invited to Quarry Field

Hi All,
As many of you know, I and several other VAM Members have volunteered to assist the local CAP Squadron and in particular, Lt. Col. Pete Boulanger (Director of Aerospace Education, Wisconsin Wing ) with their "Model Aircraft and Remote Control (MARC) program".
I am helping in the production and presentation of the training course for Cadets and Senior Staff members. Topics will include: Intro to Basic Model building skills, Tools and Materials, Radio Control systems, Simulators, and R/C Flight Training. These will be broken down into 3 Phases and taught to all interested Cadets and Senior members. Part of that training will be an introduction to R/C field operations & Safety practices.
Pete and I have tentatively scheduled this part of their training for June 2 at Quarry Field. We will hopefully have a large turnout for this (Potentially up to 30 Cadets- ages 12 through 18 + a few adults) event . Several of the Cadets I spoke with at our first meeting last Tuesday already have a R/C model (foamies and nitro). At the end of this 3-4hour session I would like to be able to offer each of the cadets some hands-on time with a buddy box.
I have a trainer I am volunteering for use and Col Boulanger has 1-2 himself (he was a student of mine 10 years ago). If you would like to share your knowledge and experience, please come on out on June 2 and lend a hand. We hopefully will have a couple of simulators set up also. Please PM or email me (jstrauss3@att.net) or call (920-358-5675) if you would like to take advantage of this rare opportunity to pass our hobby on to another generation. Many of these Youngsters will be tomorrow's Pilots (full scale and UAV drivers), engineers & aerospace workers. I urge you to help make a difference.
Thanks,
Jay Strauss
Cykhoi1 is offline Find More Posts by Cykhoi1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
Jay, I saw this on the "other" forum. The paintball event sounds like something we could do to get more youth interested. However I think the coolest part is the club got Girl Scouts interested in RC. Has the club ever reached out to a local Girl Scout Troop???
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Old May 25, 2012, 05:31 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
589 Posts
Guys come on. The CAP leaders took the time to attend our meeting and give a well planned presentation. They then ask for our help and Jay kindly volunteered to coordinate this outreach program and he's just asking for some membership help at this worthwhile event on June 2nd to introduce 25 to 30 CAP members to R/C. I'm sure some of you have time to help out so I'm urging you to do so. Please post here if you can help or have already talked to Jay about helping out. I plan to be there with a model and buddy box so hopefully we have some others with a trainer and buddy box system or it's going to be a long day..

Thanks!
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old May 25, 2012, 07:02 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,071 Posts
i'll be there
knighttwister is online now Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old May 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2004
382 Posts
I will join also.
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old May 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
James Gang #1
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Jan 2005
292 Posts
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your time and assistance. Due to certain time restraints The CAP Air Academy will need to run from about 10AM to 3PM. It looks like We have at least a dozen youngsters signed up to attend but we have invited the entire Fox Cities CAP Wing. So we could have more. It is possible that we will have a number of parents and CAP leadership that might also be present. We are planning on having food on hand for the noon till 1PM time slot, so we will need a couple of volunteers to grille burgers and brats. We should have plenty of cold beverages on hand as well.
As far as trainers and buddy boxes are concerned, We have 1 or 2 available but would like 1 or 2 more if possible. Please PM or email me if you have one you can bring.
This looks to be a lot of fun, flying and fellowship. All in all a chance to really show off our club and possibly gain some new blood in our membership. I'll post more on Wednesday for any last minute details.
Thanks again!
Jay
Old May 29, 2012, 02:46 PM
Shiocton, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2006
183 Posts
Plans changed. I will be there.
riterudder59 is offline Find More Posts by riterudder59
Old May 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Neenah WI
Joined Apr 2008
274 Posts
I'm still out of commission, but might stop out to watch.
IBBUCK is offline Find More Posts by IBBUCK
Old May 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
Shiocton, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2006
183 Posts
How many planes do we have so far?
riterudder59 is offline Find More Posts by riterudder59
Old May 30, 2012, 05:41 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2004
382 Posts
we need propane and soda and water at the field,I think we have 3 maybe 4 trainer planes.
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old May 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,071 Posts
i iced the soda today. there were at least thirty cans in the cooler, but i will check stock tomorrow.
i happened to notice a 6s pack by the shed. does anyone know where it came from? it was aparently non functional.
discussion to follow tomorrow.
knighttwister is online now Find More Posts by knighttwister
Old May 31, 2012, 01:05 PM
James Gang #1
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Jan 2005
292 Posts
Thanks everyone. BTW, I only have 1 1/2 trainers. Tuesday I blew a rod in the 17 year old Magnum .40 I had on my PT-40. I am now trying to replace it with a O.S. .40 FP that has different mounting holes and is giving me fits cause the mount is different. Also, I have to glue another firewall over the old one in order to be able to mount it on the plane.
Oh Well. Point is, we could probably use another trainer if someone has one they can bring.
thanks
See you all there,
Jay

P.S. They're predicting 18-20 mph winds out of the west on Sat so this could all be moot. I still plan on being there, but the intro flight with trainers on buddy boxes may not be practical. We'll have see. I don't mind putting mine at risk (I've flown in 24mph) but others will have to make their own decision. If it were easy, everybody would be doing it, right?
Last edited by Cykhoi1; May 31, 2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional on weather forecast for saturday.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
James Gang #1
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Jan 2005
292 Posts
The latest on the wind forecast for tomorrow has westerly winds at 7-14 with gusts as high as 20mph. Crossing my fingers. Hopefully we can still pull this off unless conditions change. I'll be at the field by 9AM. Also, is anyone picking up brats, burgers and buns? Those attending are planning on eating at the field. CAP reports 15+ persons coming to the field.
Last edited by Cykhoi1; Jun 01, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: additional info.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:36 PM
James Gang #1
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Jan 2005
292 Posts
I just spoke with Pete Boulanger & Terry Schmidt (CAP Aerospace education Coordinators) and they still want to go for it in spite of the projected winds. Their reasoning is the same as mine-that we can still cover everything else in the ground school- even if we can't fly. Also, if anyone has a simulator on their laptop, please bring it along.
Thanks,
Jay
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:07 AM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
589 Posts
We may need more models for static display if flying becomes a problem. At least our visitors will have something to look at other than 2 or 3 trainers. If you have models for display, please bring them out today! We may also ask for flight demonstrations if it's too windy for the trainer/buddy box flights with the students.
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1