SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Funny how some guys can make things work and other just can't figure it out.

Its not a matter of figuring it out, its seeing the damage that can happen and avoiding it. As in getting smarter.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:36 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post

Its not a matter of figuring it out, its seeing the damage that can happen and avoiding it. As in getting smarter.
Are you saying that those of us who have successfully used plastic spinners haven't figured it out ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Sorry Tommy, that first line is a quote by DatsunGuy.

I'm just saying I learned that a plastic spinner will eventually bite you where you sit.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:07 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,173 Posts
I made a trip to my LHS (120 miles away) today and picked up a Tru Turn. It's the only one they had that had the correct adapter nut for my short shaft Enya.

Oh, I've used many plastic spinner and this is the first one that gave me a problem. It is also the one on the plane when it crashed and bent the nose of the crank. I guess that should have been my first clue

All is well now

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,736 Posts
I TOBOR, I've seen plastic spinners do weird things,but they were included with ARFs, or from Goldberg , or Great Planes. The Dubro units have never let me down, nor have I witnessed any problems with them.

I understand your post, now. Thanks for the explanation.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 22, 2012, 08:21 PM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Plastic spinners are a big no no on a fourstroke anyway.

Yep,
It only costs a few dollars more to go first class !
Plastic spinners generally lack dimensional stability . Some plastics may be a bit better than others but for the most part a quality metal spinner is far and away more desireable.

Life is too short for cheap cars and cheap spinners

seems some folks can' figure out quality spinners either ???
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Last edited by Gary Cee; May 24, 2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
I have used plastic spinners OK on four stroke engines. They work fine. With two stroke engines I have found that a plastic spinner usually helps to prevent the crankshaft from being bent in a severe crash too. As it tends to absorb and spread out the energy on impact. I also like using metal spinners a lot. The CB Associates metal backplate plastic front spinners were the best compromise between the all metal and all plastic spinners too.
Anyway it really depends on the person and how they use the spinners. Also yes to the fact that some spinners are really poorly made, I have tossed in the waste can spinners that came with some plane kits as being rubbish and used better ones that I bought instead. One does need to check the spinner as part of their flight check to ensure it doesn't have any cracks in it, otherwise it could come apart on you. But even metal spinners get cracks in them and can come apart too.

I have seen people misuse both plastic and metal spinners. Not getting the spacers to center the spinner and or prop correctly is the worse thing people do. Some people have tried using spinners that are off center and props that are off center and with a center hole that is too big for the engine. The vibration and power loss is typical and yes the spinner can come apart as well as the prop. I saw one guy actually have the engine crankcase crack and the front bearing fail because he didn't use the proper spacers to center the prop and spinner on his engine.

I would say that I prefer metal spinners though. But people can screw up metal spinner installation and misuse them too. So one has to be sure the spinner is accurately centered along with the prop and cut out the spinner as needed so the prop blades don't touch it.

Enya R1.20 with a plastic spinner on my Biplane. It has had that type of spinner on it for years.

My two Saito FA-40a engines in my P82 Twin Mustang are using plastic spinners.

I used a plastic spinner on my P51 Mustang years ago with a Webra T4-80 engine too.

And here are a couple of OS FS-26 Surpass engines on my Twinstar with plastic spinners.

I also prefer metal spinners over plastic though as mentioned above. Here is a metal spinner on my OS FS-91 Surpass engine when I was breaking in the engine and taking the plane for its maiden flights.

and here is my low wing wing plane with a Saito FA-80 and metal spinner too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; May 23, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
Quote:
Sorry Tommy, that first line is a quote by DatsunGuy.

I'm just saying I learned that a plastic spinner will eventually bite you where you sit.
Pretty much the same here .
It isn't a matter of not figuring it out at all . Yes , some plastics are a lot better than others . The CB associates products are some of the best among the plastics . Still , generally speaking the metal spinners overall balance better , maintain their dimensions better and work better with electric starters without scoring etc.

If a plastic were ever again contemplated here , it would be a CB . BTW CB did make a metal version , but it did cost quite a bit more . The cost is an issue for some folks .
More a matter of personal preference driven by the above traits ..
As for crashing, I don't build for crashing
But we all know it happens anyhow . From what I have seen that is little reason to use a plastic over metal.

Didn't realize spinners were all that difficult to "master" Maybe in someone's mind they are a badge of special acievement.
Looks like metal spinners are the winners for pilots who are less than gods .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Last edited by Gary Cee; May 27, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,652 Posts
edit out
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Last edited by tacx; May 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Plastic spinners are a big no no on a fourstroke anyway.
Gee, no one ever told me that. Been using CB associates plastic spinners on all my 4 cycle engines up to and including my OS300 twin with no problems. Have been since the first OS FS60 came out in '76. Now that I know that plastic spinners are a no-no I guess all my engines will immediately self destruct. Damn!!!! Anyone want to buy over 40 4 cycle engines?? Be aware that the ones that were run had plastic spinners on them and may blow up at any time.

OH, and I have also used Carl Goldberg plastic spinners on my 4 cycle engines.And a lot of Japanese plastic spinners. No one ever told the Japanese that plastic spinners were a no-no either. And they brought out the first 4 cycles sold in major quantities. Must be thousands of ruined 4 cycles in Japan as they used plastic spinners when I lived there.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old May 26, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
Nice try but its the spinners that blow up, not the engines.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:51 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
I haven't had a plastic spinner come apart on me after all these years. But I have had a couple of metal spinners come apart. They do it quite spectacularly too. Best to never ever stand off to the side while the engine is running. I normally take a look at the spinner for cracks that are starting on a regular basis. if I see a crack or cracks I stop using the spinner and replace it. But I have had a couple of metal spinners let go without any cracks in them. Wait I remember having a plastic spinner fail on me when I was using the electric starter on the engine to start it up. But that spinner was quite old though, maybe 15 years or longer. It was a snap on spinner and the little posts broke off on the front part. I normally don't use those cheap spinners that come with the no-name brand ARF plane kits as I have yet to find one of those spinners that fit the engine correctly or doesn't wobble any.

I have seen a number of modellers, mostly newbies, trying to run a engine with a spinner that doesn't have the insert in it or the prop reamed out correctly either. I have gotten to a few of them when I saw what was happening to get them to stop so I could help them correct the problem. But I wonder how many others did it or are doing it like that.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; May 26, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
Quote:

Ahh, that explains it. Those of us that use plastic spinner just haven't figured it out, we're stupid too. AS smart versus stupid.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,546 Posts
I see that most of the guys that have had plastic spinners "blow up" are using electric starters and have backfires that cause the "blow up". That indicates they have their engines over primed or too lean. You have jammed a big rubber cup onto a spinner, hit the starter and it wants to go one direction and the spinner the other. What did you expect the spinner to do? You can break a bowling ball if you hit it hard enough. Also I don't use electric starters on MY engines. They are well set and start with one flip of a gloved hand. Almost every time. The guys at my field love watching me do it. Sometimes one will yell "Ha Ha you had to flip it twice".

Oh well, such is life.
Old May 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,838 Posts
OK Datsun, lets interact positively and exchange some useful info, these Kavan Spinners are my fave, they have no backplate. Double nuts on Saitos fit right in the behind the rubber nose piece.