SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Question
Seeking Sea Plane Plans

I've been wrestling with building a sea plane for several weeks now, and I'm having some difficulties deciding. Thought the "collective wisdom" of the group might shed some light on my pre-conceptions.

First of all, I have built a number of EPP foamies -- mostly pusher type wings or prop-in-slot delta's. I really like fllying with elevons vs. RET. Like the
"smooth and sporty" way you can carve the air with an elevon plane.

I first thought about adding pontoons (floats) to a high-wing plane (think super cub on floats) but I'm thinking that the extra drag of the floats will cause the performance of the sea plane to be much less than that of the "land plane".

From those with experience, is this true?

Then, I thought more about the "flying boat" style (think the parkzone ICAN). I like the idea of having the fuse also serve as the "float". Should be more aerodynamic.

Thought about just buying the ICAN, but the price is a bit steep.

Are there any PLANS out there for something LIKE this plane?

I've looked at the Polaris plans, but I'm a bit hesitant on a plane with the motor so far back. Like the idea of a "mid mount" motor. Seems to be more "balanced" than a tail mount.

Does anyone know of a high wing flying boat style sea plane with a mid mount motor that is close to the wing line? Perhaps you can point me towards some plans...

Finally, I've previously built entirely out of EPP because I like the "bounce". Played a bit with Depron, but find it more stiff and "breakable". HOWEVER, I've also read that EPP is bad for water. Is there any good way to SEAL EPP, or do I bite the bullet, build from Depron, and hope for the best?

Thanks for reading my ramblings. I'd appreciate any advice.

Steve
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,624 Posts
Steve: the roughness and open cell structure of epp doesn't work for seaplanes, i'm afraid. DS1sfb's SeaBB is an easy build good flying seaplane based on the Blubaby design. I put foam floats on my 42" BB, and it flys essentially same with as as without floats.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,607 Posts
Give the Polaris a second thought - it's easy to build and flies great. The tail-mounted motor doesn't cause any issues.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,444 Posts
Build a Polaris.

Nothing wrong with the motor in the tail. 10,000,000 (so it seems) Polaris owners can't be wrong.
CaseySP is offline Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Hello Flyboy Steve!

I wanted the Icon A5 as well, but was not willing to pay either.... so I made one!

Link to thread, plans, and pics:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606211

The plans are still in the alfa version, but they will be updated once the 2nd prototype is built. The first one was 40" WS built from Dollar Tree Foam. The 2nd prototype is 52" built from Model Plane Foam (MPF) -- www.modelpanefoam.com.

It's a great flier, and a lot of fun. Even if you don't have water, its a blast to just scoot around on the grass.

This is not a trainer, and I would classify it more as a sport seaplane - as it is pretty fast and maneuverable. I'm having a lot of fun with the 40" version and can't wait to complete the 52".

The most challenging part was waterproofing the hull -- and I am still researching in that department.

Best of luck in your search! Happy building and flying!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:47 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,180 Posts
Steve the Sea BluBaby has been on my wish list for a while

Snice ICON

The SeaDart

The Drongo

Drake

Darrow

BE-103

CL-415
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Then, I thought more about the "flying boat" style (think the parkzone ICAN). I like the idea of having the fuse also serve as the "float". Should be more aerodynamic.

Thought about just buying the ICAN, but the price is a bit steep.

Steve
If you want to try a kit / ARF the Great Planes Seawind makes a great first floatplane. Maybe cheaper than ParkZone's Icon A5. Its good with 'bank and yank' type carving around the sky flying. Not exactly and aerobat but handles well. As a flying boat its very robust and forgiving and can teach you a lot about flying from water.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Hi Steve,
If you aren't adverse to a dual prop plane, you might consider a Grumman Goose. Much like you said, I prefer float planes in which the fuse is the main float. The GG is a great looking plane that gets lots of attention!

Bill

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171221

billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Lots of info -- THANKS! I'll spend some time today reviewing and digesting it all...

Steve
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:02 PM
Used Register
Quebec
Joined Nov 2008
117 Posts
Steve, Maybe that one,Seamaster made of EPP :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340319
Jhon-Jhon is offline Find More Posts by Jhon-Jhon
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,918 Posts
Hello Steve,
I've had several sea planes which have never really panned out so I too was searching for a "good" flying seaplane. I watched many videos and this one met my requirements.
Good on water handling
Good in air handling.
Foam construction
Good looking

Here she is. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=sea+bb

I'm making mine from $Tree foamboard.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Last edited by hoppy; Apr 21, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Sea Baby too! Looks simple to build and looks like it should fly well.

Thanks for your input!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Hi Jhon Jhon! Just looked up your thread and I'm impressed with the Sea Master. Haven't read through it all yet, but just wondering: How do you use EPP (which I really LIKE -- it bounces!) and get it WATER PROOF?

Got lots to read -- THANKS!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
The Icon A5 is sweet - I know someone who owns one. While not foamies - the Grumman Widgeon looks nice. There are also plans available for the Grumman Goose.

Widgeon http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...rumman+widgeon

Goose http://www.modelaviation.com/goose
indyemmett is offline Find More Posts by indyemmett
Last edited by indyemmett; Apr 25, 2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,137 Posts
Goose
Sikorsky S-39
Beaver (with optional floats)
Drake II
Tiger Moth TM400 with floats

Or like others have said, just put some floats on an old trainer or something that is easy to fly... much less learning curve if you are already familiar with how the plane flies.

P.S. - be sure to check out the waterplane forum.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Apr 25, 2012 at 10:07 AM.