Closed Thread
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:10 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Let me put it another way: Why's Chase following this thread and not the HUNDREDS of other X9D threads? And how's he supposed to know WHICH of the HUNDREDS of 9XR threads he should be following? What makes THIS X9D thread special?
Thinking out loud, reputation is everything for such a specialized equipment manufacturer, and it would surely be worth investing the time to find active and large threads - such as this one - in order to concentrate on gauging opinion and providing adequate information.

Quote:
Granted... if I could afford it, I probably would hire someone full time just to handle forums and social media. I don't have the time to even scratch the surface if I'm going to get anythign done.
I wonder whether it's no longer optional for manufacturers to devote significant attention to forums? Speaking for myself, ads mean almost literally nothing to me, because we're bombarded with advertising and it's hard for me to gauge quality. However, there are individuals on forums whose opinions I greatly respect, and who therefore have the ability to "sell" stuff to me without even trying, without working for the respective manufacturer, and without knowing I'm lurking and paying attention to what they wrote.

(There are other individuals who serve the exact opposite function, but that's another story )

I doubt I'm alone in making many RC purchasing decisions based on forum advice from key individuals. If I'm correct in saying that many hobbyists nowadays operate along those lines, spending time on forums to engage the key individuals and to make sure they have information would be a sound strategy for a manufacturer/businessperson.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:10 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Or they're just freakin busy and can't spend time on forums! "Support" should be handled by email, not by public forum. I really don't understand why people post random "support" related complaints or questions unless a) they really don't expect the company to answer (which is understandable when it comes to HK) or b) they feel they can get the answer via peers easier/faster (which is great when its a technical question that's likely been handled a million times already).

So questions like "how do I use this thing" are great for forums, but then it doesn't matter if the business sees it because peers will help. But I've seen posts here like "my order number XYZ hasn't shown up yet"... EMAIL THE *&#$# SHOP THEN! Lol.

As for speculative/hype/rumor mills like this? Its a toss-up. HK, I think, got burned for letting the 9xr rumors FAR outpace the development and it missed the expectations by just as far. So sure, FrSky could benefit by not making the same mistake and closely monitoring rumor mills to keep things in check. But they could have avoided it altogether by not announcing it until it was ready (or very close to it).
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:17 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
I doubt I'm alone in making many RC purchasing decisions based on forum advice from key individuals. If I'm correct in saying that many hobbyists nowadays operate along those lines, spending time on forums to engage the key individuals and to make sure they have information would be a sound strategy for a manufacturer/businessperson.
I'm sure you're bang-on... but its not realistic. Well, it is realistic for the VERY small or the large... and its also, perhaps, realistic for the resellers out there.

I'm a small fry. I have no dillusions about that. And I can't HOPE to keep up with the forum chatter. And I only have really two products with a very limited market (9x owners)! I still can't even BEGIN to keep up with it. I suppose if I were just buying and selling stuff, that I'd be able to devote more time to skimming the forums. Maybe. I don't know. But between desiging, improving, procurement (and buying/selling, customer support, putting labels on packages, sweeping the floor, etc etc etc) there's just no bloody way.

So I picked ONE 9x related thread to follow and I monitor that pretty closely. Still, people start new threads on here or dozens of other forums asking questions to me that I'll never see. EMAIL the business if you have a question. Direct communication is the only way to ensure you'll get an answer from the horse's mouth.

I'm not arguing. I totally get what you're saying and I agree. I just see it from the other side and there's only so much time in the day.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Just another example (that proves you're right but also, hopefully, makes my point):

Back in 2007 I was designing an automotive related gadget. Again, very niche market (one particular car) but it was a project people were interested in. I had my own forum, but there were other much larger forums dedicated to the car. On my forum, I even asked people for input on a particular design aspect and I got a number of responses. Unbeknownst to me, on the other forum, there was a lengthy indepth discussion going on and they came up with an AWESOME idea. WAY better than what I came up with on my own. Zero cost difference to do it... it would have been better for the customers for sure had I used their idea. But I never saw it. After it went to production, I got an email asking why I "ignored" those ideas and "stubbornly stuck to my original design". Not one of the hundreds of people in that forum bothered to let me know. Not one. Who lost out? Everyone! I still sold the products but I probably would have sold a few more, and all the customers (who bought and who may have bought) would have appreciated the better design.

So on the one hand... had I been trolling every forum out there I may have seen it but it would have either been: impossible; or more expensive (hire someone for forums); or months longer in development (if I dedicated X hours per day to forums). On the other hand... if people would recognize that forums are places for discussions amongst peers and NOT a good place for suggestions and/or support...

There's no perfect answer. Just saying, if people here want specific things implemented... take the time to suggest it directly to FrSky. Better yet, organize a discussion that puts the 2 or 3 best design suggestions together and then present it to them. Or whatever.

Lol... I do realize the irony that I'm writing a book here while at the same time claiming to have no time. *sigh*
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:35 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,528 Posts
wish there were some dedicated X9D threads! instead we are here piggy backing off the X12D thread Certainly not 100's of X9D threads at least that are in english...
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:49 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
wish there were some dedicated X9D threads! instead we are here piggy backing off the X12D thread Certainly not 100's of X9D threads at least that are in english...
It may make sense to split up the threads once the products are released. Probably no sense in having several different rumor mills going right now.

And Frsky compared with HK - at least we have an outline of the look and features of each model. Sure, it's not a detailed spec sheet, but the expectations probably can't stretch too far from reality at this point. Although if microtechnics is way off base, I'd hope that Frsky would have commented already.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:58 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,287 Posts
Show me at least one other Frsky any radio model forum in English, of course.

True, not all people at Frsky have time to watch other radios forums, but, be sure they are informed by other people outside company what competition does good and wrong.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:09 PM
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Show me at least one other Frsky any radio model forum in English, of course.

True, not all people at Frsky have time to watch other radios forums, but, be sure they are informed by other people outside company what competition does good and wrong.
Since you ask:

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic....t=726&start=30

http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic....207fa&start=90
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:33 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,287 Posts
These are development forums, be sure that all people there is in direct contact with Frsky already...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:05 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,896 Posts
Quote:
I doubt any of them have the time to follow any of the threads.
Actually two FrSky employees follow the threads -- as they have time.

(Hi 刘鋆洁!)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:34 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
I read it as being an 8 channel telemetry radio but 16 channel if you add in a module which can be run simultaneously with the internal RF.
No, the new FrSky gear will support 16CH on a single module, that's been known for ages now. The current modules will receive a firmware upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
The 9X is a four year old radio that was built at the time with the cheapest components.
6 actually! Started in 2006 as a 72MHz radio.

Quote:
So questions like "how do I use this thing" are great for forums, but then it doesn't matter if the business sees it because peers will help.
And even there... When selling stuff I always did monitor a couple of forums. The number of threads I've seen where people went to ask a simple question on a forum, and wait a couple of days only to get speculative answers from people who didn't have the gear, to downright wrong info provided by some, when they could have sent a one liner to the seller and gotten an correct one-liner back within minutes was impressive.
It's impressive how nobody believes in customer support nowadays. I guess the trend by many shops to not know anything about what they sell quickly got people used to a "the seller has no clue anyway" idea, and that it's not even worth trying.

As I was on the forums as myself, not as company representation, most of the time people had no idea of the link between my forum account and the business. So I'd just post something like "Why don't you ask the seller? He probably knows better than a random guy who doesn't even have the equipment...". Usually the mail was here a couple of minutes ago, the answer followed, everybody was happy and one can hope a little that others would understand the point.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:56 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,607 Posts
Quote:
I'm not arguing. I totally get what you're saying and I agree. I just see it from the other side and there's only so much time in the day.
I'm in total agreement with you. There is only so much time in the day. Our days get fragmented quickly these days. It's a good problem to have though.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,223 Posts
I sure hope FrSky development team is looking at the complaints of the Turnigy and making their evaluation accordingly.

Ability to change modes, change spring tension, etc
Choice of connector for battery
I certainly hope more care is taken with how the wires are routed in the unit so that connectors don't get disconnected during normal motion of the gimbals.

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:38 AM
Joined Oct 2011
140 Posts
Well, I guess FrSky would have to try really hard to make worse radio than what HK did with T9XR.

FrSky products are quite good, so they have capable engineers, so I don't worry about usability and quality unless they try to push the price too low.
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:05 AM
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,528 Posts
I just bought a 9XR, cant be that bad. You wont get the people happy with it saying much and Im sure some of the negatives are from folk with their own agendas. I can put up with imperfect molding on a $50 radio. The 9XR will keep me going till the X12D comes out but wish there was more news on it or the X9D. I plan to reflash the 9XR with Open9X in preparation for OpenX9D
Closed Thread