SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:57 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
If I were FrSky I would be busting a gut to get the X9D out of the door by March - there is a big opportunity for them if they can move quickly.
I agree, but I don't think that Frsky will be rushing this to market. But on the other hand I think it will be 100% ready by the time it gets to market. i.e., firmware upgrades for model match, an open9x fork being worked on by folks over at 9xforums, etc.

You hit the nail on the head. I ordered a 9xr on the 24th. I haven't gotten it yet, but it is going on ebay once it arrives.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
what's a firmware fork?

Regards
HK took an existing version of er9x and made their own modifications. This is a different development path than the community supported version. So as the community version progresses to new versions, HK will have to do their own development on their ‘orphaned’ version. Sure, you can always switch to the community version, but as of now, it doesn’t include any of the changes that HK made to their version. i.e, like a fork in the road, they took a different path then the community.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:08 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
...You hit the nail on the head. I ordered a 9xr on the 24th. I haven't gotten it yet, but it is going on ebay once it arrives.
9xr seems close to what matt described for 50usd seems like a steal relative to other radios on the market where I can't save my models to computer.

Any other issues people find with them other than the overbling'd look?

regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:11 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
I think that still represents good value for a $50 radio, but such was the fever pitch of anticipation that the absence of telemetry readiness, RF modules that connect to the internal aerial and the firmware fork mean huge numbers are posting "My 9XR is going on eBay, I think I'll wait for FrSky now"! If they can do that and get revenue flowing in maybe they can speed up the release of the 12D and 16D - you would hope adding functionality to the existing software and plugging it into a new case would be quicker and easier than developing the first TX.
Well not really "huge numbers", there are not a "huge number" that have the 9XR in hand. What maybe 5 or 6 commented on getting rid of the 9XR?

I do think that HK did release the 9XR before they had thier act together. They put up the radio before they had the modules and battery that they recommed for the radio ready. I sure would not want to buy a part of a radio....I would want to be able to get all of the equipment designed for the radio. $50 is not the real price, add in shipping, battery, modules that are needed to operate and reciever and you are over $100 maybe more depending on your needs!

...."huge numbers" come on....lets be fair!
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
The 2 9xr units that I see on ebay right now aren't exactly flying off the shelf either, but then again, they are asking for a lot of money.

I think that the 9xr turned out to be a good replacement for the 9x in some ways and is a good price. But looking at the features of the 9xd and family, it seems like a better fit for what I'm looking for. If I had been paying attention to the Frsky threads in the first place, I probably would have just waited for these units to be ready, expecially since it will be a few months before the good flying weather arrives where I live.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,724 Posts
I will be rec'ing 9xrs with frysky sets to all newbs in my club...I can't stand it when someone locks out and taps a bird hard...wasn't their fault and nothing they can do but watch.

Has happened to many times where I fly, I don't even think about it...I've had one bad frysky receiver in the last 2-3yrs...9x radio and supporting software has been a dream.

Waiting for the xd for telemetry support etc....

Good times start with good radios
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:31 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,664 Posts
The damn thing costs $50... what happened is that people got their expectations too high.

The fancy site, the videos, the fancy radio shell... but in the end is a 9X with a few tweaks.
Then again... same price as the 9X so what could it be, a revolution?

I'll be honest if the gimbals work better than on the 9X I could consider getting one, I have a 9X and I'm really pleased. I spent a lot of time with the mods, Telemetry, Backlight, Speaker (btw this one was a waste of time),... but I really like it. Drawbacks, the weak hardware.
Already had to open the trainer switch that was stuck and now my YAW pot is starting to forget where center is.
Then again $49, I can't expect it to be the King of Radios™.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
For roughly the same price they could've consulted with the er9x community and had better processor and also made it easier to add modifications like telemetry - have some nice big pads to solder to.
The 9X is a four year old radio that was built at the time with the cheapest components. Now to have the same thing served up to us four years later, though with back light and programming pins, is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, the 9X is an awesome radio for the price and I have two that have the Smartieparts board and er9X however the problem is that my two 9Xs are better than the 9XR as it is easy to add telemetry to them with no soldering, already has an inbuilt programmer, heaps of tutorials on how to mod, came with a module, more space available within the case for mods, can even upgrade the processor and stuff with the erSky board etc. I was hoping that the 9XR was at least going to be an incremental upgrade but they are still even manufactured by FlySky.
So after coming to that conclusion and also realizing there were no modules anyway, I cancelled my order and thought I'd wait to see when the FrSky X9D was released or when people have developed decent tutorials on how to mod the 9XR or when modules designed for the 9XR come out.
I do need a third transmitter as my two boys are now flying however I can probably wait until March but if X9D isn't here by then I will probably go the 9XR path anyway, but at least this time not get caught up in the hype. If I go the 9XR route I'd prefer a module that uses the internal aerial so mightn't go the FrSky route then. So yes I agree that FrSky has a good opportunity to cash in on the lame 9XR release but if they delay past March that window will close as people will source other transmitters by then.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:58 PM
Ireland, Dublin
Joined Nov 2010
150 Posts
I was looking at the 9xr too I currently have a 9x , I'll wait till the x9d is out not in any rush for a new tx I'm sure the x9d will be much better than the 9xr
skejah1063 is offline Find More Posts by skejah1063
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
So after coming to that conclusion and also realizing there were no modules anyway, I cancelled my order and thought I'd wait to see when the FrSky X9D was released or when people have developed decent tutorials on how to mod the 9XR or when modules designed for the 9XR come out.
That's the other problem with the 9xr - no one even knows if any of the smartieparts boards will work yet. Their telemetry board would be a nice add, even without their processor board, but it's a gamble right now. (and the inputs that this board gives you should have been standard equipment on the 9xr anyway, even if telemetry wasn't included)

Yes, it's still not bad for $49.99.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:58 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
Well not really "huge numbers", there are not a "huge number" that have the 9XR in hand. What maybe 5 or 6 commented on getting rid of the 9XR?
Ok fair enough, but you must admit the conversation has become increasingly negative as people have found how little the 9XR has moved on from the 9X in functionality. This hasn't been helped by the general lack of information at launch, some slightly strange design decisions (the 3S pack using a balance plug to power the TX and huge battery bay being two examples) and some spotty looking quality in the internals. Of course expectation was ridiculously high given the $50 price, but HK were partly to blame for that and there were things they could have improved at minimal to zero cost. Ultimately I'm sure it will be a success for them, but not for power users who want telemetry and other advanced functions out of the gate.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Jan 04, 2013, 05:25 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,481 Posts
There's not enough space inside that radio to accept all the mods I have in my 9x. In fact, the only mod that might fit is the telemetry mod, because you only have to find space for the tiny RS232-TTL converter. Voice mod, I think we can forget, no space for the voice module. Rotary encoder, can forget also because of the new buttons. there is no space to fit the encoder (replacing the 4 directional buttons) anymore, and pads to solder the wires..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:45 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,614 Posts
I was a Christmas Eve band wagon guy. Ordered mine right out of the chute -- immediately after the email arrived with the announcement that it was available.

After reading hands-on reports in several forums and seeing the photos of the dis-assembly it's appears to be a bust.

If I can get my money back via Ebay I'll be pleased, if not I'll give it away to a club for auction -- probably put the defective OrangeRX transmitter module in it too.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Its a bummer that there is nowhere decent to order FrSky from in Australia. Went to the LHS today and asked the boss whether they'd consider sticking the FrSky transmitters when they come out. "No, we only stock quality transmitters here like Spektrum and Hitec not cheap Chinese junk," he said whilst gesturing to the transmitter shelf which incidentally contained a rebranded FlySky 9X.
Grrr.... I hate that attitude. I think they could've made a killing. Only store that I've come across in Australia that stock FrSky charges TWICE what you can get it for overseas. No wonder LHS in Australia are struggling. They can stick to their "quality" Spektrum.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:05 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Its a bummer that there is nowhere decent to order FrSky from in Australia. Went to the LHS today and asked the boss whether they'd consider sticking the FrSky transmitters when they come out. "No, we only stock quality transmitters here like Spektrum and Hitec not cheap Chinese junk," he said whilst gesturing to the transmitter shelf which incidentally contained a rebranded FlySky 9X.
Grrr.... I hate that attitude. I think they could've made a killing. Only store that I've come across in Australia that stock FrSky charges TWICE what you can get it for overseas. No wonder LHS in Australia are struggling. They can stick to their "quality" Spektrum.
In all seriousness -- give Wayne from Aolfthobbies.com a go. Even though he's in California, I recall that somebody in the way beyond found him to be the best and fastest way to get their FrSKY gear. Wayne will even remove it from the overpackaging to save you shipping money. (or he used to do that).

I know he's on like the opposite side of the globe, but ya won't know if ya don't give him a go.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread