Closed Thread
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:21 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I think what he's saying is that the only difference between a $100 radio and a $1200 radio is that the $1200 radio has 12x the profit margin.
Ah is that confirmation on the X9D price at $100 then
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:22 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
I doubt, rather without RF system
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
If the X9D meets the specs I've seen I'd happily pay a couple hundred for it - even with the KST case. Think of what you would have to invest in a 9x to get it to that level.

I'm more interested in the X12D. Any updates on price and availability?
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Ah is that confirmation on the X9D price at $100 then
That would be Kick A_ _ !!!

Lookin at the 9xr being 50usd the x9D would being 100 - 150 sounds about right...
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:37 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
so i've read till my eyes started watering, and still haven't found what i was looking for.

right now i have the flysky fs-th9x. it's bone box stock. works very well for me this way. i've been using it for about 4 months and like it. now i'm stepping up to bigger and better planes and want to also step up to a better transmitter. i don't want to go thru modifying my radio i would just like to buy a new one. going to keep the flysky for my current planes, and the new transmitter for my newer models.

that said, i'm looking at transmitters and the futaba 14sg is my top runner. i don't care for spektrum, but the frsky stuff really seems to be quality. how do you all think the quality of the new frsky transmitters will compair to the futaba stuff? also, does anybody know if the frsky will have ball bearing gimbals and such?
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:50 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I think what he's saying is that even the $1200 radios can have quality control issues.
I meant spektrum quality was - is - will always be junk!
will they someday come out a radio without a single bug ?
why do people still trust them ? price of receivers... support in USA...wide variety ?
how would you convince a spektrum fanboy to buy a X12D radio ?
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:58 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
so i've read till my eyes started watering, and still haven't found what i was looking for.
...that said, i'm looking at transmitters and the futaba 14sg is my top runner. i don't care for spektrum, but the frsky stuff really seems to be quality. how do you all think the quality of the new frsky transmitters will compair to the futaba stuff? also, does anybody know if the frsky will have ball bearing gimbals and such?
Well it is all speculation at this point.

If you are in a hurry, buy what is available today. There is no certainty of the release date or availability of the X9d and even less for the x12/16d.

Many are optimistic that the FrSky TX will be good quality, probably better than the $50 TX recently released by another brand, but how they will compare to Futaba our other major brands is TBD.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:08 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Well it is all speculation at this point.

If you are in a hurry, buy what is available today. There is no certainty of the release date or availability of the X9d and even less for the x12/16d.

Many are optimistic that the FrSky TX will be good quality, probably better than the $50 TX recently released by another brand, but how they will compare to Futaba our other major brands is TBD.
Other than Futaba, what "major brand" would you consider as being a benchmark for quality?
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,380 Posts
Quote:
that said, i'm looking at transmitters and the futaba 14sg is my top runner. i don't care for spektrum, but the frsky stuff really seems to be quality. how do you all think the quality of the new frsky transmitters will compair to the futaba stuff? also, does anybody know if the frsky will have ball bearing gimbals and such?
Have you seen the link below? This gives a little info, if it can be believed and mentions "Ball-bearing gimbals"

http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...qb4iff9apmfhn0

Just to make up a number - let's say that Frsky is 80% as good as Futaba. What are you willing to pay for that extra 20%? Double? More? (take into account the cost of rx's and telemetry modules too - but no one as seen real pricing on Frsky transmitters yet so these are imaginary comparisons.)

I'm not saying someone should or shouldn't get the best available and could have a good reason to do so. But for me, 'good' is usually good enough.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:39 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
how do you all think the quality of the new frsky transmitters will compair to the futaba stuff?
I'm with you here if the XD12 finishes are like turnigy or walkera ones they won't get my money. I'm aware that won't be a 50 bucks radio.
from the pics already seen the X9D grey finish looks good quality except gimbals and module case which are are made in Frsky factory

Quote:
also, does anybody know if the frsky will have ball bearing gimbals and such?
must have at least they have to sell something better than the competition aka Turnigy 9XR
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:39 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
it me i am wanting something high quality. the fit, feel, and finish is very important to me. in my eyes most of the major brands have good signal quality. i don't really see much difference in that, but the way the radio feels inspires confidence. since we are not actually "in" the plane they only feel we have is with the transmitter. while i like the flysky transmitter i have now, the feel of it leaves alot to be desired. as far as programming, i don't need alot. the stock firmware in the flysky 9x does everything i need and actually more than i need.

i don't care for spektrum. the feel of them just doesn't seem right to me. the look of the transmitters i also don't care for. the futaba line i like very much. from the futaba transmitters i've used and seen they feel fantastic. very well put together, the finish is great, and the programming seems solid. the biggest problem with futaba is price of course.

as far as receivers for futaba transmitters, well frsky has that covered if you want cheaper than the factory futaba units. telemetry i don't care about. i have no need for it.

from everything i've read tho, frsky seems to make very good modules and receivers. their telemetry units seem to be very good also. i would think that a transmitter that they produce would also be of very good quality. if i can get a good quality transmitter with good fit, feel, and finish and with a bonus of being cheaper than it's competitors i would be crazy NOT to give it a try.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:00 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Sep 2011
69 Posts
Hmmm.JR slot.So my spare Frsky Futaba style module is useless.Pity.
The tx in that euro link looks a bit,erm,agricultural
beaverbuddy is offline Find More Posts by beaverbuddy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:25 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,393 Posts
IMO it looks fantastic!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:59 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
Have you seen the link below? This gives a little info, if it can be believed and mentions "Ball-bearing gimbals"

http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...qb4iff9apmfhn0

Just to make up a number - let's say that Frsky is 80% as good as Futaba. What are you willing to pay for that extra 20%? Double? More? (take into account the cost of rx's and telemetry modules too - but no one as seen real pricing on Frsky transmitters yet so these are imaginary comparisons.)

I'm not saying someone should or shouldn't get the best available and could have a good reason to do so. But for me, 'good' is usually good enough.
I have Futaba 7C FASST system that says in the box because... drum roll... After being a Futaba fan for decades (literally) I found a TH9x with er9x firmware and FrSKY telemetry onboard is infinitely more radio, easier to program, more versatile, has more model memory, more channels, and ........

I think Futaba is the best Big Name Radio on the market, but with the exception of an onboard camera and color screen, My $200 Frsky setup can do everything the top of the line Futaba can -- and more -- including speak (real voice recording) the telemetry and switch position as well as give verbal warnings. It can log flights, and have 60 model memory.

As much as I love and Loved Futaba, they honestly can't hold a candle to what can be done with FrSKY and Open9x or ER9x.

Disclaimer, There is occasionally a little bit of elbow grease and solder needed to bring the TH9x received is in good working order, and some minor modifications to make it feel solid like a quality radio.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:57 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
I meant spektrum quality was - is - will always be junk!
will they someday come out a radio without a single bug ?
why do people still trust them ? price of receivers... support in USA...wide variety ?
how would you convince a spektrum fanboy to buy a X12D radio ?
Spektrum sells now cause of price of rxs, $5 for an rx is as cheap as chips, my m8 just bought a dx7s after having futaba for years and selling up and then decided to start again, speky was the cheapest way in.
I have dx6i 4 years or so old and is fine where I fly but would not trust it at a big meeting with lots of txs switched on.
I am waiting to see how the x12d comes out though as I need more model memories and my planes are starting to get more expensive so want a more robust signal and gliding is my thing now so need a radio with more mixing etc plus telemetry etc.
My decision will ultimately come down to reliablilty and flexibility AND price, so I will be on the fence till it is proven, I will not be a test pilot and risk my planes to find the bugs for frsky.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Closed Thread