Closed Thread
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:15 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
Thanks jhsa. Bit of a bind. Was hoping that the Turnigy 9XR was going to be my answer and ordered it on Christmas day (backordered). Unfortunately very disappointed that the internals are basically the same spec as the 9X and that there are no modules for the internal antenna (and that it seemed to promise to come with a module for $50 and then was released moduleless).
After looking into getting a FrSky DJT module and then the lack of current info to have to mod it for the 9XR for telemetry (was hoping that they would've made it easy seeing it is supposed to be a big redesign) I thought it was best to cancel my order and either wait to see what comes out in terms of mods and new modules (very pissed off that HK hasn't seen fit to advise their customers about what is happening with modules) or get a X9D when released.
Have two current er9x modded tx (thanks to the Smartieparts board) so am familiar with er9x. Is open 9x much different? Have two sons (10 and 11) who are flying now so will need a new transmitter eventually, though can hold off for a few months if needed.
well, we couldn't expect the 9XR to be that different from the 9x if they wanted to keep them both compatible..
I'm not getting one. I'm saving my money for the frsky X12D.
One thing I do like is that frsky doesn't take an agressive approach as HK does, and actually listen to us and discuss eventual problems when there are some, and eventually take care of them.
The X12D will have everything I would ever want in a tx. I think it will be a fantastic radio.
Open9x started from er9x and have also some nice and intelligent people working on it. It's already a bit different and has some nice features. er9x has some other nice features as well. I mean both firmwares are just wonderful, If the X9D comes out with open9x it will be a killer radio for sure..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:34 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Therein lies the problem, there is nothing cheap about molding dies for plastics. You're talking thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars start up cost.

Cheers,
Geoff
Yep, I know that from experience, hence it's a doubtful wish
Gotta say though, that modern resin based 3D prototype printing machines may well change all that...
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:39 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Therein lies the problem, there is nothing cheap about molding dies for plastics. You're talking thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars start up cost.

Cheers,
Geoff
Even if the Chinese do it?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
While you blokes are discussing the TX case molds, it occurred to me that if the rear of the case has no complex mountings for boards or switches etc, it may not be silly if FrSky sold an optional case back for the opposite type module as it will initially be sold for, if they can make the extra molding dies cheap enough to get their money back that is.

In other words buy it with a JR module socket case, buy an optional Futaba socket rear case half, and then swap them over...

The firmware would need a menu setting for 'JR' or 'Futaba' Module Installed, because the logic is inverted between them.
Martin
They are aware about this an probably will use an approach derived from my idea for OpenLRS system.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:48 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,802 Posts
Yeah, but with a plastic frame to hold the module this time please

TBH that's something that could be easily made with a 3D printer. Get just the adapter PCB, order the 3D-printed plastic part from one of those sellers where you can put your designed part for sale, and there you go.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:21 AM
chicken nuggets
Joined Aug 2011
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Even if the Chinese do it?
Yes - thousands of /$/. No matter who makes them. What with hot runners, water cooling provision and hydraulics required for what look to be simple mouldings, tooling is complex and certainly not cheap to produce by any stretch of the imagination.
HeliHaven is offline Find More Posts by HeliHaven
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:21 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliHaven View Post
Yes - thousands of /$/. No matter who makes them. What with hot runners, water cooling provision and hydraulics required for what look to be simple mouldings, tooling is complex and certainly not cheap to produce by any stretch of the imagination.
I do hope everyone knows that was a "tongue in cheek" statement!
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:25 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,686 Posts
Oh well, if it's not going to be cheap enough for FrSky to make two type case backs, then I guess I could make a plaster plug & mold from the original and do hand made glass or carbon versions, with the Futaba socket molding shape taken from one of my 8U radios

(This is tongue in cheek humour too BTW).
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
If the X9D comes out with open9x it will be a killer radio for sure..
I've never been able to make heads or tails of the er9x style UI that Deviation uses.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
How, no swarovsky anywhere ?
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:44 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
this is a 1200 bucks radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
any one else have a DX18QQ with a slanted/crooked screen? I am on my second radio with this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
what did you expect from this brand ? You get what you pay for.
Quote:
Mikarro, I have a JR 12X as my primary radio and previously owned a 18MZ and 14MZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikarro View Post
really ? Did you sell your 18MZ to get funds for this junk radio ?
I wonder if they have any QC in CHINA because it's not the only issue related to the screen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
just checked mine and it appears to be off square by a small amount. Doesn't bother me in the least
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
remember these are mass produced radios that are built to a price point, if you're looking for perfection I doubt you'll find it with spektrum
Quote:
first of all, I've had three DX18 with screen problems, this one being the least severe, so I think I have a reason to be frustrated.
Quote:
I have contacted HH and they want to repair my radio rather than replace it.
Quote:
I'm annoyed enough with the situation that I'm considering getting a refund on the DX18QQ and selling my standard DX18 once the screen has been repaired.
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:39 PM
Look Up
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
m, what does this have to do with this thread? Can you discuss spektrum stuff in the spektrum thread?
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiprianGugu View Post
m, what does this have to do with this thread? Can you discuss spektrum stuff in the spektrum thread?
Mabye for the price of a hard case for a Spektrum DX 18 you can buy a Frsky X16D

Although it would be nice if an alert from this thread would mean we have real news on one of the new Frsky transmitters...
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,259 Posts
I think what he's saying is that even the $1200 radios can have quality control issues.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 02, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:14 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I think what he's saying is that the only difference between a $100 radio and a $1200 radio is that the $1200 radio has 12x the profit margin.
That, and he probably feels better for venting...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Closed Thread