HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Aurora gimbals use pots, not optical sensors.
They should use a magnetic sensor chip like the blue arrow hall effect sensing servos use. If they can put them in a $25 servo they could certainly put 4 of them in in a $300 radio.
Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
The KST radio has a "segment" type LCD, doesn't have audio circuits among others. The X9D has a full graphics screen, and the electronics are all custom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
The X9D has an ARM processor similar to my tablet. Dont think the KST did. I think Frsky are just using the KST moulding.
Ok, is it just the faceplate that's using the KST mold or the entire case? I didn't think the KST radio had a module port. If it didn't then they'd have to redesign the lower half of the case and make a new mold.

Quote:
Who used JR moulding...
Which one? I've looked and could only find one that was sort of similar.

Reusing mould isn't limited to Chinese companies. Here's a case from some kind of dentistry equipment that uses an Atari Jaguar case.

Atari Jaguar dental machine (3 min 21 sec)

Unicomp is still making copies of the IBM Model M keyboard using the original moulds and equipment that IBM sold off when then liquidated their keyboard division. (apparently they've found it difficult to make money on this because the keyboards never wear out)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:15 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
... I didn't think the KST radio had a module port. If it didn't then they'd have to redesign the lower half of the case and make a new mold.

Yes the KST did have a module port.
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:47 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
991 Posts
You can still buy a KST here if you feel left out... - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/t810-tra...-p-407576.html

Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Quote:
... Which one? I've looked and could only find one that was sort of similar.
9303/9503 seems almost identical except buttons, but probably there are mould variations withou any button cut in that curved area, to make custom designs a simple job.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,500 Posts
Has anyone gotten a close enough view of the x9d to get a count on the number of 2 and 3 position switches? It's difficult to tell from the pictures, even from the close ups.
stevea3342 is online now Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
9303/9503 seems almost identical except buttons, but probably there are mould variations withou any button cut in that curved area, to make custom designs a simple job.
When it comes to moulds "almost identical" means a different mold. More likely someone just copied JR's design and made a few subtle changes (might even be the same company that makes the JR cases). And then whoever makes FrSky's cases either was the same company and had the mould, or they obtained it at some point in a buyout.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 31, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:21 PM
United States, SC, Clemson
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty sure they just copied the design or someone they hired to make the shells did, there's no way that came out of the same mold as the JR. There are numerous differences and to make those changes would require a new mold.
Such as...? I only ask because you seem to project yourself as one who has molding experience and I ask because I am curious. I know that you can do things with molds like add inserts and such to create new features. Its not inconceivable that the mold was modified. But you seem to observe something that makes you think the mold would be incompatible. What is it you observe...
redradar is offline Find More Posts by redradar
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntboyX View Post
Such as...? I only ask because you seem to project yourself as one who has molding experience and I ask because I am curious. I know that you can do things with molds like add inserts and such to create new features. Its not inconceivable that the mold was modified. But you seem to observe something that makes you think the mold would be incompatible. What is it you observe...
Sorry if it seemed that way, that's just what I read which is admittedly many many years ago.

The differences I saw are in the buttons and the speaker holes which have a slightly different shape.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:14 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,413 Posts
Both can be CNCed from a basic mold not having carved any hole.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Sorry, basic question. Will the FrSky 9XD be able to be flashed with er9X?
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:32 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,563 Posts
Not at the moment.. I think open9x will be your answer for the moment..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:42 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Thanks jhsa. Bit of a bind. Was hoping that the Turnigy 9XR was going to be my answer and ordered it on Christmas day (backordered). Unfortunately very disappointed that the internals are basically the same spec as the 9X and that there are no modules for the internal antenna (and that it seemed to promise to come with a module for $50 and then was released moduleless).
After looking into getting a FrSky DJT module and then the lack of current info to have to mod it for the 9XR for telemetry (was hoping that they would've made it easy seeing it is supposed to be a big redesign) I thought it was best to cancel my order and either wait to see what comes out in terms of mods and new modules (very pissed off that HK hasn't seen fit to advise their customers about what is happening with modules) or get a X9D when released.
Have two current er9x modded tx (thanks to the Smartieparts board) so am familiar with er9x. Is open 9x much different? Have two sons (10 and 11) who are flying now so will need a new transmitter eventually, though can hold off for a few months if needed.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
Adelaide, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,692 Posts
A radio take takes BOTH Futaba and JR modules.

While you blokes are discussing the TX case molds, it occurred to me that if the rear of the case has no complex mountings for boards or switches etc, it may not be silly if FrSky sold an optional case back for the opposite type module as it will initially be sold for, if they can make the extra molding dies cheap enough to get their money back that is.

In other words buy it with a JR module socket case, buy an optional Futaba socket rear case half, and then swap them over...

The firmware would need a menu setting for 'JR' or 'Futaba' Module Installed, because the logic is inverted between them.
Martin
PLMS is offline Find More Posts by PLMS
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:28 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLMS View Post
..., if they can make the extra molding dies cheap enough to get their money back that is.

Martin
Therein lies the problem, there is nothing cheap about molding dies for plastics. You're talking thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars start up cost.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Closed Thread