HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:36 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
Why? The 9xr handle with built in antenna is an upgrade over the 9x aerial with better signal strength (per HK) and harder to break than the folding type or one sticking out from a module. I thought I read here that frsky will be releasing a 9xr module. Yes the currrent DJT module will work with the extra aerial but hk already have a turnigy dsm2/x module without an extra aerial and that's 2.4ghz
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,639 Posts
Here a pic with 9xr compatible modules from the turnigy9xr.com site

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1610
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Here a pic with 9xr compatible modules from the turnigy9xr.com site

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1610
I see the DJT twice in that photo and a bunch of garbage in between them.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:58 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
this is eye candy!
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Last edited by Flazo; Dec 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flazo View Post
this is eye candy!
Flazo, you need to crop out the website addy in that picture. I'm pretty sure you can get banned fom RCG for that.

Just some friendly advise, as you may not realize.

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
got it! : )
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:17 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Why? The 9xr handle with built in antenna is an upgrade over the 9x aerial with better signal strength (per HK) and harder to break than the folding type or one sticking out from a module. I thought I read here that frsky will be releasing a 9xr module. Yes the currrent DJT module will work with the extra aerial but hk already have a turnigy dsm2/x module without an extra aerial and that's 2.4ghz
Well as far as I understand, there are some kind of contacts for the antenna??
that would not be safe.. or maybe I got it wrong..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:05 PM
Note to self, put on pants.
Australia, VIC, Frankston
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Need some friendly advise.
I have a 9x running er9x but still using orig flysky stuff.
Time to get in on Frsky.
Should i just get the module for my 9x, Get the 9xr when its out and module, or wait for the X12D which sounds so far the best option but the wait may be long by the sound of it!
I want to keep flysky going for my little stuff.
Jamie
Jayman72 is offline Find More Posts by Jayman72
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:36 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
Well as far as I understand, there are some kind of contacts for the antenna??
that would not be safe.. or maybe I got it wrong..
It was posted a few times already.
Common modules with a removeable antenna (frsky, DSM, ...) have a connector on the PCB for the coax pigtail, and a connector to screw the antenna on. This will have one to connect the module to the antenna (pictured here) and maybe one to connect the pigtail to the PCB in just the same way. How is that any different?
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:37 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,563 Posts
well this one looks like it works a little like a jack plug.. when you insert the module it also makes the connection for the antenna.. It just doesn't look very safe for 2.4GHz IMO
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:55 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman72 View Post
Need some friendly advise.
I have a 9x running er9x but still using orig flysky stuff.
Time to get in on Frsky.
Should i just get the module for my 9x, Get the 9xr when its out and module, or wait for the X12D which sounds so far the best option but the wait may be long by the sound of it!
I want to keep flysky going for my little stuff.
Jamie
I f you can wait and make do with what you've got I would hold out for the x12d or of course the x9d which will be out sooner.
But if you NEED the frsky stuff NOW and you have er9x installed on your 9x a module would be cheapest and of course the 9xr is untested and unknown, if you do the module in 9x then you will be swapping modules though to keep your flysky and use 9x.
I f you get a 9xr then you will have a separate control still for flysky and frsky-soooo, basically it's up to you what you want lol.

I'm still using dx6i and waiting for the x9d or if that does not live up to expectations on the forums then the x12d but who knows maybe by the time the x12d comes out something else will be on the cards which is even better lol-it goes on and on lol.

I just get what I NEED now when I need it rather then trying to have the latest and greatest. Just fly and enjoy yourself!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:02 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
well this one looks like it works a little like a jack plug.. when you insert the module it also makes the connection for the antenna.. It just doesn't look very safe for 2.4GHz IMO
It looks quite like an SSMB connector. Industry standard for about what, 40 years? And rated to 12.4GHz.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
bpr
Oak Park, IL USA
Joined Jan 2005
114 Posts
A hard wired antenna is more reliable because it has fewer movable parts on which it depends. Reliabliity is relative.

One failure example, not the only one:

The modular design shown is pretty good, but can fail if, for instance, the plastic clips which hold the module in place become loose or busted. In that case the module can move a little bit with use and handling, and can cause wear on the various connectors. The best solution to that scenario is to replace the tx case, which can be a pain.

I have had this happen in well abused 72 mhz trannys. The long pins which supply power and get back signal from the module can be loosened at the board - the solder joint. This has happened due to simple insertion and removal of modules, and is much more likely in the abuse scenario. In either case, intermittent loss of rf. Ugh.

Again, the modular design is good, but a fixed design is slightly better.That's one reason the the in-case antennae are an improvement over removable or even projecting antennae. Not an enormous improvement, but ...
bpr is offline Find More Posts by bpr
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
It looks quite like an SSMB connector. Industry standard for about what, 40 years? And rated to 12.4GHz.
Well they might be rated for that frequency, but for how long and how much plugging and unplugging?..

For the reasons stated on the post above, I hope that frsky doesn't make the same mistake..
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,073 Posts
I agree taking modules in and out repeatedly will eventually lead to failure, but how many times will the average user actually do this? If I get an X12D I'll be using the inbuilt FrSky RF the vast majority of the time, just switching to an Orange or Spektrum DSM2/DSMX module for UM BNFs if I get one or two of those. Result - I'll be fitting my module then forgetting it, number of cycles = 1!

Sure that may be one extreme end of the spectrum, but I don't think most people will be regularly using their FrSky TXs with three or more different RF protocols (inbuilt plus at least 2 modules, thus requiring regular swapping). Given the FrSky RXs are so affordable, won't people just sell off their least prevalent RX type and standardise on no more than 2 protocols?
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Closed Thread