Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:17 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Nope not false.
You will of course be able to quote anomalies because some hobby stores are trying their best to fight the trend. Its a futile effort though. The only way LHS will be able to compete long term is if they also embrace internet marketing.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Seems a very US-centric view, the world and the market is bigger than just the USA. :-)
Yes I was just speaking about USA. But I edited. I'm sure if local hobbies don't compare prices then they will loose out even more. But I've been seeing that Hobby town USA is bringing in Chinese stuff as well to sell.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Last edited by jcervantes11; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:38 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,821 Posts
The hobby shops are actually in a good position as long as they use internet marketing on top of the shop front, I would love to have a local store that I can look at things online and then go and get my hands on them in a shop and then if I like them get them right there for the same as the online price, save on postage and waiting in all day for a delivery.
And I'm sure I'm not alone.
We have a local model shop but it is useless as it only stocks stuff from years ago at those years prices too ie the best plane they have in stock is the eps art tech spitfire for £85, when I mentioned fms planes and hobby king and asked if they had any lifepo4 batteries he just looked at me with a blank face-NO IDEA.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:46 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
You have giantshark, why complain, is next after HK in Europe, and UK shipping is 2 days very cheap.
Just ordered some stuff from them because want them faster than HK. Placed Monday, shipped Tuesday, surely will pickup from post office next week. Total price including shipping 8% more than HK same stuff.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:50 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
FrSKY is ABOUT telemetry. They may have started with the V series but that's going away. They may have made great FASST clones... but that will fade as well. Their future and focus is ACCST and telemetry.
Hmmm... can't agree completely... I am still banging my head wth they didn't issued yet a telemetry system for Futaba... The frustrated Futaba users mass that rant about Futaba being the single major brand not offering telemetry yet is immense compared with the others.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:59 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,363 Posts
I think Futaba has telemetry and voice now.. a friend of mine has one of the devices stuck to his radio.. Never saw it working yet..
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:02 AM
Bleriot's R Us
Ireland, Donegal
Joined Nov 2003
1,022 Posts
I have been buying from GiantShark (GiantCod) since they basically started and are excellent.

Hobbyking now also have a warehouse in UK which apparently will carry all their range by next summer. They have at the moment a great selection of kits, friend bought their big 50cc SU26 and have to say one of the best kits of this type I have seen.
xairflyer is offline Find More Posts by xairflyer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
So, 1 month left till the end of the year, does anybody believe, that X9D will appear this year?
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,547 Posts
If you hope to have it sitting in your christmas stocking, unlikely Looks like a race to release against the 9XR which is speculated for release on Dec 15th based on a facebook post that then got quickly pulled.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I am still banging my head wth they didn't issued yet a telemetry system for Futaba....
Yep, they missed the boat there. I was very frustrated with that but after much palm to the face -- I think the reason they didn't -- and it's not a bad reason after all - is that the Futaba users wanted telemetry using their existing inventory of receivers. Most don't realize that the $100 7 channel receivers they have two dozen of won't work with telemetry. Once that's figured out they are not so anxious to go to telemetry after all. Let's face it -- one reason there is brand loyalty -- in radios or similar -- SLR cameras -- is compatibility with existing inventory.

Of course -- Futaba users can still go the DHT-U route. And some have - but they still bitch about not being able to use their existing Futaba brand receivers.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I am still banging my head wth they didn't issued yet a telemetry system for Futaba...
How could they have done that? They'd have had to make both Futaba-compatible TXs and RXs, as there was no telemetry-capable Futaba radio (apart from the T18MZ, the only other telemetry-equipped radio is the T14SG that's only hitting the shelves about now).
So as long as both ends are needed, it's just called a DHT-U with FrSky receivers, and it's plug and play for all Futaba users.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:42 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,363 Posts
here, this is what I was talking about

http://www.heliplane.net/2012/01/rob...ors-receivers/

Joćo
jhsa is offline Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
How could they have done that? They'd have had to make both Futaba-compatible TXs and RXs, as there was no telemetry-capable Futaba radio (apart from the T18MZ, the only other telemetry-equipped radio is the T14SG that's only hitting the shelves about now).
So as long as both ends are needed, it's just called a DHT-U with FrSky receivers, and it's plug and play for all Futaba users.
You're absolutely right - it's largely perception via packaging and marketing. If they wraped a DHT-U in a package with Futaba cable and label and market it as a "Futaba ACCST telemetry system" then the Futaba boys go ...WOW -- telemetry made for us. But if you sell a FrSKY DHT-U and a hack cable the PERCEPTION is that this must be a dicey thing and it's not "made for Futaba". Better wait until the OEM is available.
The other element it that it's education. There needs to be full page ads explaining how the telemetry works. I've talked to scores of pilots about FrSKY this year -- and the realization that they have to abandon their existing stable of receivers is a real turn off .. the second turnoff is adding third party generic device and receiver.

What I'd envisioned was that they could have marketed like a small downlink transmitter that plugs into the Futaba RX to measure it's voltage and power the transmitter -- but you do loose your TX RSSI -- but you still have TX RSSI -- which is a pretty good indicator.
Then you are using a DHT-U module to receive telemetry only -- and the native Futaba FASST to control the plane. This would have sold like gang busters!

Why? Futaba users are religious zellots about FASST and they could keep it. They spent a small fortune for their receivers and they could still use them. They don't have to buy a new Futaba transmitter as they do now to get the Telemetry -- unless they have an 8FG which will probably have a firmware upgrade. The sensors are available sooner, cheaper, and totally compatible.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:10 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
here, this is what I was talking about

http://www.heliplane.net/2012/01/rob...ors-receivers/

Joćo
Check the date from the URL you posted...January 2012 ! Exactly, that's the point, in this moment nobody can buy this thing, and, the supreme proof of brand loyalty, the cheapest sensor cost more than the whole Frsky telemetry system!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:47 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
It would be interesting to see data supporting the statement that "the English speaking countries are after all the biggest potential markets for these TX", it doesn't ring true to me.

It might be true that the majority of the market will accept/make do with an English interface on the Tx and hence perhaps also an English manual. However loyalty to and penetration of the 'big brands' in the developing world where they have traditionally been price-prohibitve is low and hence simply getting out there ASAP with a good product at an affordable price probably matters more than an English language manual.

Similarly, the demographics of the hobby in the US or UK may not apply to the rest of the world. Traditionally, the perceived high cost of RC as a hobby led to a skew in the participants towards older working folk and retirees. The revolution that has swept through the hobby over the past few years that has reduced the costs by a factor of 3 to 10 has been driven very largely via low cost vendors operating almost exclusively via online distribution. The combination of low prices and online shopping has brought a different demographic into play which is dominated by internet-aware participants and has a wider age range.

RC toys of all sorts have proliferated and also drawn many new entrants to the hobby, typically younger, more tech-savvy and far less likely to join or be seen at the local RC flying field.

So IMO judging the market opportunity by the crusty old crew at the Western club field leads to an unbalanced view. That legacy market is clearly significant, but not the only slice of the pie and perhaps not the biggest.
English is the third most spoken language in the world (behind Spanish and Mandarin) but the most spoken second language. Apparently 2 billion people regularly communicate in English, a great many of whom are in the rising economic powers of India and China. I don't have any figures on the global RC marketplace, but I would be amazed if a healthy majority of overall spend was not from the aggregate of markets where English is either the native tongue or most prevalent second language. After all, these countries dominate in terms of average disposable income, so margins for FrSky will be higher because the market will accept a higher unit cost.

All in all if it were my business I'd be aiming high and authoring basic but well written online manuals in English and Spanish so I could steal some business from the established brands. This doesn't stop them chasing developing markets too where a native language manual is less important, but it should lead to them making more money more quickly.

Hard hat on...
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Closed Thread