SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:53 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Putting together a manual for an open source product is tough at best.

Putting out an manual for all of the other products - That needs to happen if FrSky wants to break into the bigger "normal" market. Right now FrSky enjoys very good sales to the technical users, and some adventurous users. They are not stealing many customers away from the bigger brands.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
I don't think it's that difficult https://code.google.com/p/open9x/wiki/Open9x_Manual_EN

EDIT: OK, it's not translated, but CZ and FR versions are already available

Quote:
Right now FrSky enjoys very good sales to the technical users, and some adventurous users. They are not stealing many customers away from the bigger brands.
Right, because even if you are bigger brand user, you need to have at least minimal technical skills to modify original radio and put DHT(-U) module there. How should they steal customers away when they have no radio to sell? I won't be that pessimistic. I bet that once the radio is available FrSky won't be able to build them fast enough and you'll be working overtime to package them to all that impatient waiting customers
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Last edited by mihlit; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:55 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
I'll say that once it's actually translated... Will try to get moving
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post

Putting out an manual for all of the other products - That needs to happen if FrSky wants to break into the bigger "normal" market. Right now FrSky enjoys very good sales to the technical users, and some adventurous users. They are not stealing many customers away from the bigger brands.

-Wayne
Jeti also doesn't care about English manual, and even about US market, for them German market is enough.
Was the push of Esprit Models, who seems they did all arrangements, probably financial support too for FCC certification, and also manual translation.
So, the approach could be from a major seller who believe in a brand...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:21 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
A good manual = time and money, = higher price...
I personally prefer a good, cheap radio without a good manual I wouldn't read anyway. There are enough mainstream radios with good manuals out there

But just wait a bit here, somebody will pop up and tell us they want a good radio AND a good manual for nothing... some are already moaning that the rumoured prices of 1/3rd of any existing comparable offering are "way too expensive"
My 35 Hitec Optic 6 came with an excellent manual. Thats the radio I'm using at the moment and any successor will need to be better , not just more bells and whistles but also the ergonomics and most important of all Quality and documentation. Something the early Frsky modules lacked, the connectors on mine are unreliable. I hope the new radio does not suffer from those shortcomings.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:56 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,320 Posts
X9D - Manual

If you want to see a great example of "manual" look to Open Pilot. They have a massive Wiki AND videos that Fred does and they are a great resource. http://wiki.openpilot.org/
Where Open Pilot's model could be changed is a division of the Wiki sections or notation on each page if it's for beginners, intermediate, or wireheads.

I think that video tutorials are the way to go -- linked from a complete Wiki that serves as a highly descriptive menu to guide the user to the specific firmware etc.

I had started a project along these lines, but as I'm a head case and disheartened by the criticism from my first effort. I worked with Fred at Open Pilot at the start -- and he ran with that ball and has done a fabulous job.

The problem with video tutorial is language. Even the English language has dialects that are very difficult for some other English speaking people to understand. For example, there is one spokesman for Hobby King that I simply can't understand at all. The way to account for this is to make the source file available for volunteers who speak other languages to dub over -- or send their audio for dubbing to the original file.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:03 PM
R/C, FPV, UAVs
Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
112 Posts
Yes, but OpenPilot cannot produce hardware in any number... maybe too busy writing manuals?
Sgt_Ric is offline Find More Posts by Sgt_Ric
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:30 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,480 Posts
So true...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
will 9xd be reverse polarity protected? lot of people burned their 9x due this fact
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
I would say who cares about manual since it's going to add more time and money for instruction manual. I would say just get the programming right and make it easy to enter setup and then let the rest of the world to do web search for example if one person doesn't know what is endpoint they can look it up. It is pointless to have manual. I don't even read my radios manual because I know the definition of what each setting know. It's common sense for those that know but those that doesn't they can simply learn what it do through the internet. Many manual that comes with radios are useless many are not translated good in english.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
If you want to see a great example of "manual" look to Open Pilot. They have a massive Wiki AND videos that Fred does and they are a great resource. http://wiki.openpilot.org/
Where Open Pilot's model could be changed is a division of the Wiki sections or notation on each page if it's for beginners, intermediate, or wireheads.

I think that video tutorials are the way to go -- linked from a complete Wiki that serves as a highly descriptive menu to guide the user to the specific firmware etc.

I had started a project along these lines, but as I'm a head case and disheartened by the criticism from my first effort. I worked with Fred at Open Pilot at the start -- and he ran with that ball and has done a fabulous job.

The problem with video tutorial is language. Even the English language has dialects that are very difficult for some other English speaking people to understand. For example, there is one spokesman for Hobby King that I simply can't understand at all. The way to account for this is to make the source file available for volunteers who speak other languages to dub over -- or send their audio for dubbing to the original file.
Agree.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I see value in a basic manual that clearly describes all the external connections and what they are for and includes instructions on how to adjust the sticks and how to upgrade the firmware.

I agree that today there is much leas point investing in a detailed description of the software, the user community will fill in the gaps within the first six to twelve months and provide help to newbies and others.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:40 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,640 Posts
Do you think that the average brand ++$400 radio buyer even know what are open communities and where to find them?
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:48 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
will 9xd be reverse polarity protected? lot of people burned their 9x due this fact
9x is reverse polarity protected since you cannot physically plug the battery connector the wrong way.

The radios have burned because diy guys have soldered their lipo/life battery wires reversed. A fuse of diode is not a bad idea though.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:53 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Do you think that the average brand ++$400 radio buyer even know what are open communities and where to find them?
The guy who can't find info/help on a radio with a 10sec Google search will have bought his radio at his local hobby shop, and it will have gone through a distributor, who is the one to do what he feels like is required to reach his customers.
For example Futaba make a Japanese and English (relatively basic and/or useless) manual, and that's it. In France, the French manual is written by the French importer. In Germany, the German manual is made by the German importer (Robbe). Etc...
Closed Thread