Closed Thread
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:05 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
I wasn't saying a thing about that. If he had I wouldn't have bothered posting.

If you read my post completely you will see I was identifying how he had tried to distort the price value and usability of the 9XR with unsubstantiated rubbish.
Maybe his point was missed. If a person currently wants to have the capabilities that are promised with the upcoming FrSKY X9R CURRENTLY -- they need to spend about Turnigy 9x for $50 Plus shipping a DJT for $25 and a erSky9x board for $100, A no drill DIN cable for $25 Upgraded LCD $30 and a speaker for $5.
This gives a radio with relatively the same capabilities that runs Open9x software with FrSKY telemetry onboard for over $230. I have such a radio -- it talks -- it does telemetry -- and it also has a rotary encoder that I did not factor into the formula above. Most of these components were purchased from http://www.ersky9x.net/index.html But the radio from hobby King and the DJT from Aloft Hobbies.

I posted the URL to a video demonstration of a custom startup sound that I made and added using Open9x -- which is being ported over for the FrSKY x9D radio.
One thing I'll tell you is that when that low battery alarm sounds It gets mighty annoying hearing "low battery warning low battery warning" continually -- but there is no ambiguity about what the alarm is.

EDIT -- if you missed it the custom startup sound is
FrSky startup sound (0 min 13 sec)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
905 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't saying a thing about that. If he had I wouldn't have bothered posting.

If you read my post completely you will see I was identifying how he had tried to distort the price value and usability of the 9XR with unsubstantiated rubbish.
Well I read your post completely and it seems you are arguing against a point nobody made....
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:25 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
rumor from source I was asked not to reveal:
X9D $190
X12D $450
X16D $750

For 12 and 16 it should be just targeted price (products can still change = price can change).

But it's not from official source, so it could be wrong. This "rumor source" has quite reliable history with other products so far, but I don't know where they got these numbers.
Shoot your source

Or... maybe would be nice to be true, I could have a chance to start building my radio to compete them
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
9XR at 50$ and as better pot's
Backlight integrated, and atmel already wired for easy FW update,

X9D as better features and hardware but 190$ for it its really expensive in my opinion for a radio that did not invest into a new shell,
The shell they use looks cheap and junk plastic, it does not return a 190$ feelling like an X12D could.

At first stage we where talking about 150$ or maybe less for the new FrSky radio
a few months ago we just know there are going to be 3 models
and new we know that the most cheap one is almost 200$+ shipping.
9XR invest in a personalized shell and still can be sold at 50$ ? not just that, they used a crossed pad like FlySky 9x because its much more intuitive to use this navigation system, it became an standar for too many things, and FrSky now is forced to use a shell with dispersed buttons that force you to think "where is the + sing?" and so on, Thats not something quick to program.
like in JR 8103.
Even if the features cannot be achieved by any other radio at this price, i find it expensive.
And obviously the x12d is going to be out of my league at this price. Nice design but i will not pay 450$ for a nice looking radio that collects dust over the hinge if the top lcd.
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined May 2009
5,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1 View Post
9XR at 50$ and as better pot's
Backlight integrated, and atmel already wired for easy FW update,

X9D as better features and hardware but 190$ for it its really expensive in my opinion for a radio that did not invest into a new shell,
The shell they use looks cheap and junk plastic, it does not return a 190$ feelling like an X12D could.

At first stage we where talking about 150$ or maybe less for the new FrSky radio
a few months ago we just know there are going to be 3 models
and new we know that the most cheap one is almost 200$+ shipping.
9XR invest in a personalized shell and still can be sold at 50$ ? not just that, they used a crossed pad like FlySky 9x because its much more intuitive to use this navigation system, it became an standar for too many things, and FrSky now is forced to use a shell with dispersed buttons that force you to think "where is the + sing?" and so on, Thats not something quick to program.
like in JR 8103.
Even if the features cannot be achieved by any other radio at this price, i find it expensive.
And obviously the x12d is going to be out of my league at this price. Nice design but i will not pay 450$ for a nice looking radio that collects dut over the hinge if the top lcd.
Wallaguest1 I think you really need to treat those "source" numbers with great suspect. I think they are waaaaay over the mark. Don't give up hope so soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:42 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,289 Posts
I got other unofficial source tweet telling me his unofficial source is Mr.Anthony Hand, lol
He prepares his 9XR launch campaign and is worried in 9XR thread there are more occurrences of X9D word than his radio
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined May 2009
5,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I got other unofficial source tweet telling me his unofficial source is Mr.Anthony Hand, lol
He prepares his 9XR launch campaign and is worried in 9XR thread there are more occurrences of X9D word than his radio
For those without a score card -- Anthony Hand is the owner of Hobby King -- which is introducing the 9xR.

He has NO influence, control, or inside information about FrSKY which although also based in China --- is a completely different company.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,577 Posts
If you all remember the price tag for the x9d was put at around or less then $100 and I think that frsky will stick to that seeing as the competition will be $50.
Rumours of a much higher price are just that!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,547 Posts
Quote:
rumor from source I was asked not to reveal:
X9D $190
X12D $450
X16D $750

For 12 and 16 it should be just targeted price (products can still change = price can change).

But it's not from official source, so it could be wrong. This "rumor source" has quite reliable history with other products so far, but I don't know where they got these numbers.
That's me out then,
I paid 35 for my Hitec optic 6 brand new from a local hobby shop and it does almost everything I've ever wanted.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:28 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2007
382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
That's me out then,
I paid 35 for my Hitec optic 6 brand new from a local hobby shop and it does almost everything I've ever wanted.

Terry
as RENATOA said, those are wrong rumors...
albx is online now Find More Posts by albx
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
140 Posts
RENATOA: There will be no shooting, I have no gun
Anyway, your guess is wrong. A.H. would not be a reliable source

B12: If I wanted just unbeatable FW, companion9x would be enough and it's for no cost. For flying, on the other hand, you need HW too. And reliable, quality one is preferred. What I'm trying to say is that you talk just about FW, but forgot HW.

------

FrSky is ambitious company. They want to get big market share and for this, they need to be perceived as quality brand. They are coming with their first radio and "whole" world watches. Their first radio sets their standard - whether people are going to say "FrSky builds quality radios" or "FrSky builds cheap and low quality radios". Once you fail your customers, it's very difficult to regain their trust and it takes too long time. Building a brand is never ending step by step process, to destroy a brand you need just one mistake.

FrSky already did one mistake - they come with their lowest radio first, while coming with good quality radio with a lot of features first and then release lower radio as entry level would be better move - the more quality their first radio is, the better starting position they get.

And last... the biggest interest comes from T9x users. They buy low quality radio and do hw mods - pumping price much higher than what plain t9x costs. And even with those changes you won't reach near x9da. Maybe just only with ersky9x board, but then you are on the same price tag and you still have small lcd and lousy gimbals. T9x users come with expectation to have *much* more quality radio with unlimited features for almost the same price as t9x. Sorry to say so, but wake up. This radio with its quality and features is not (cannot be) targeted for t9x owners where only price is what matters.

And for 9xr - it's case looks more cool, less "outdated", but that's all. It won't be able to match quality nor feature set of x9da.

--------

Terry R.: Comparing no graphical LCD with a limitations what it can display, 6channels, 2 free mixes, no servo travel limit (try to set EPA limit for ailerons and add CROW mix. Set full CROW and move ailerons - they go over the limit damaging your servos), no voice telemetry, limited model memory, no free assignable switches,... If it does everything you want, then you probably don't want much. Be happy you have working radio for such nice price, but do not try to compare, because it can't be more different than it is. (I had optic 6 and get rid of it especially for missing servo travel limits).
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Last edited by mihlit; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:53 AM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
personally i paid 45 incl ship + 5 for backlit and 8 for an avr. i made this before kits were out and just soldered stuff myself.
not sure why people seem to think everyone has a 200 usd 9x.
and the sticks are pretty decent imo.

im using an uhf module on it but a frsky module would be an additional 25 and prolly 5 of shipping. the main reason why im using it over a futaba 9c is er9x.

id expect frsky radios to be similar.
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:01 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,290 Posts
Quote:
9XR is $50 not $80. Who would buy from elsewhere if they know they can get it cheaper at HK
I said 9X, not 9XR. People got 9Xs from other sources simply because it was out of stock so often at HK. For a year or so every new shipment would sell out in 15 minutes, no backorders allowed, and people would quickly get tired of having to try their luck again on the next shipment 2-4 weeks later only to find out it came and sold out while they were sleeping. Getting them for $80-90 from other sellers was a much more reliable way to get one.

Quote:
9XR is $50 not $80.
About the 9XR, Anthony Hand did say some time ago that the $50 price was an introductory price. Who knows what it will change to afterwards. Also, HK are big enough to sell that kind of articles at a loss to draw customers in, and make up for the difference on the other articles you'll add to your cart along with it. The loss fits in the marketing budget... and the article's price isn't representative of the item's real value anymore. Definitely the case here.

Quote:
Of course!! They ALWAYS come with defects and are REALLY low hardware quality.... Yeah right
That's probably why I said "sometimes". But helping several people troubleshoot theirs every week, and having myself gotten 2 defective ones out of 4... it isn't exactly a rare occurrence.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:02 AM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Aug 2009
109 Posts
I Agree, and as a Reference why we don't compare with other quality radios on the market?

Example:
09 Channels : Hitec Aurora 9 380US$ (Plus +/-150 if you add voice etc.)
12+2 Channels: New Futaba 14SG 600US$ (Pre-Order)
18 Channels : Spektrum 18DX 800US$

Also don't forget the prices for the receivers. FrSky 35US$ and the others 80++

So yes, people want to buy an new Ferrary for the price of a used Ford , we have to be more realistic.

Quote:
RENATOA: There will be no shooting, I have no gun
Anyway, your guess is wrong. A.H. would not be a reliable source

B12: If I wanted just unbeatable FW, companion9x would be enough and it's for no cost. For flying, on the other hand, you need HW too. And reliable, quality one is preferred. What I'm trying to say is that you talk just about FW, but forgot HW.

------

FrSky is ambitious company. They want to get big market share and for this, they need to be perceived as quality brand. They are coming with their first radio and "whole" world watches. Their first radio sets their standard - whether people are going to say "FrSky builds quality radios" or "FrSky builds cheap and low quality radios". Once you fail your customers, it's very difficult to regain their trust and it takes too long time. Building a brand is never ending step by step process, to destroy a brand you need just one mistake.

FrSky already did one mistake - they come with their lowest radio first, while coming with good quality radio with a lot of features first and then release lower radio as entry level would be better move - the more quality their first radio is, the better starting position they get.

And last... the biggest interest comes from T9x users. They buy low quality radio and do hw mods - pumping price much higher than what plain t9x costs. And even with those changes you won't reach near x9da. Maybe just only with ersky9x board, but then you are on the same price tag and you still have small lcd and lousy gimbals. T9x users come with expectation to have *much* more quality radio with unlimited features for almost the same price as t9x. Sorry to say so, but wake up. This radio with its quality and features is not (cannot be) targeted for t9x owners where only price is what matters.

And for 9xr - it's case looks more cool, less "outdated", but that's all. It won't be able to match quality nor feature set of x9da.

--------

Terry R.: Comparing no graphical LCD with a limitations what it can display, 6channels, 2 free mixes, no servo travel limit (try to set EPA limit for ailerons and add CROW mix. Set full CROW and move ailerons - they go over the limit damaging your servos), no voice telemetry, limited model memory, no free assignable switches,... If it does everything you want, then you probably don't want much. Be happy you have working radio for such nice price, but do not try to compare, because it can't be more different than it is. (I had optic 6 and get rid of it especially for missing servo travel limits).
wwmilanl is offline Find More Posts by wwmilanl
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:46 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,549 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I am inclined to agree. I suspect there is only really room for one low cost, open source "modders" radio; right now that is the 9x, and in future I am certain that will be the 9XR despite it's hideous chrome explosion looks . Why? It's cheap, should be readily available and most improtantly there is a big, enthusiastic community from the 9X ready to take it on. I am not sure the X9D can be a sales success against this backdrop - as posts from 9xers here show it's too expensive for the TX modders, but may be too cheap for those moving from branded radios to have confidence in it despite the stellar functionality compared to a DX6, Optic 6 etc.

Quote:
Yep - I agree that high volume, low margin business is not where FrSky are targeting themselves; I am pretty certain they want to be seen as a high quality but lower cost alternative to the branded radios. Put simply, if you like taking your soldering iron to your TX I don't think you are their primary audience!

That's why I agree that the X12D should have been the first release - it would have set out their stall in this direction, and given those not familiar with FrSky confidence that the quality of the RF link and hardware was good. It would also give confidence to the modellers FrSky are targeting (most of whom only use a small fraction of the functionality in their existing TX, and who have probably never completed a software or hardware upgrade on it that their software is highly functional out of the box without modification. It would also have meant I could get my X12D sooner!
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Closed Thread