Closed Thread
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I'm starting to think that the weight and complexity of the on board electronics will make telemetry too complex expensive and heavy for the type of flying I do (parkfliers , a thermal soarer and a camera equipped easy star all flown LOS)
RSSI and receiver battery voltage (on sailplanes) are both useful, but I agree with those model types telemetry has limited use. However over time your flying may change, and if it does you will be glad you went for a telemetry enabled TX. If FrSky deliver on their promises you will be able to buy a TX with all the functionality of the very top end ($1500+) branded transmitters for a fraction of the price.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
If FrSky deliver on their promises you will be able to buy a TX with all the functionality of the very top end ($1500+) branded transmitters for a fraction of the price.
Any idea/rumor/hint/guess of the x12d target price range?

$100
$200
$300
$400
$500
...?
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B12 View Post
Any idea/rumor/hint/guess of the x12d target price range?

$100
$200
$300
$400
$500
...?
rumor from source I was asked not to reveal:
X9D $190
X12D $450
X16D $750

For 12 and 16 it should be just targeted price (products can still change = price can change).

But it's not from official source, so it could be wrong. This "rumor source" has quite reliable history with other products so far, but I don't know where they got these numbers.
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihlit View Post
rumor from source I was asked not to reveal:
X9D $190
X12D $450
X16D $750

For 12 and 16 it should be just targeted price (products can still change = price can change).

But it's not from official source, so it could be wrong. This "rumor source" has quite reliable history with other products so far, but I don't know where they got these numbers.
That sounds way too expensive. If they are the actual prices they wouldn't fly, especially with the 9x crowd. They would be asking someone to pay almost four times the price of the upcoming 9xr for the x9d!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
147 Posts
As I said, it's just rumor. On the other hand, show me any real competitor even with little higher prices.

This will come with FrSky firmware, but Open9x will take over very soon enabling everything possible. 16 channels, model match, voice telemetry, big lcd screen, ready for two RF systems. What is nearest competitor? Graupner MX-20 with "only" 12 channels and about 500 $ price tag.

This should be no cheap quality radio like T9x that you should open, check soldering for lousy work. With terrible feeling gimbals. Requiring several hw mods to get it on just a little higher level (programming connector, telemetry, even backlight) and t9x comes even without any battery to make it super cheaper.

New 9xr radio is just slightly modified t9x looking more cool, but still made to be super cheap radio, not quality radio. FrSky does not want to profile itself as cheap china junk company and quality costs some money. But even with some extra cost it still would be radio with the best quality+features / price ratio. Unbeatable with anything on the market.

Also check price of the RF systems and receivers. Just using FrSky over turnigy pumps price higher. And expect FrSky RF system v3 to be more expensive than the v2 we have now cause development costs money too.
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
That sounds way too expensive. If they are the actual prices they wouldn't fly, especially with the 9x crowd.
They would be asking someone to pay almost four times the price of the upcoming 9xr for the x9d!
But the X9D will be more than 4 times better than the 9XR!

There are 10 types of people in the 9x crowd. Those who want a cheap radio, and those who want a capable radio. The first are well served by the low price, and enjoy the functionality as a "secondary" benefit. The second are there because of the awesome alternative firmwares that outperform anything on the market, without caring that much about price and would often gladly pay more for something a bit more sturdy.

Those who want a cheap radio will have the 9XR, and will be able to run a great firmware on it.
Those who want a capable radio will have the X9D with dual RF, voice, higher quality hardware, logging, no hacking needed... and an even improved flavour of the same great firmware.

Currently some people buy 9Xs for $80 (that's the price from other sellers than HK). They add a $30 SmartieParts programmer and a $25 frsky module. That's already $135 for a radio you still have to open, mod, sometimes fix because it comes from the factory with defects, and which is of really low hardware quality.

Other people buy the same $80 9x, add a $90 sky9x board, a better LCD for $30, a convenient wiring harness for $25, the $25 frsky module... $250 for more features, but still less capability than an X9D, still some hacking needed, and still the same low quality hardware.

$190 for an X9D is a bargain. As said, an usual commercial radio that approaches it is 3x the price, AND there aren't even a lot of them in the first place (Graupner seems the closest indeed). And it's not open source, so you'll still have to change it the day you need a more complex model because it's artificially limited for marketing reasons.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Nov 22, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
But the X9D will be more than 4 times better than the 9XR!

There are 10 types of people in the 9x crowd. Those who want a cheap radio, and those who want a capable radio. The first are well served by the low price, and enjoy the functionality as a "secondary" benefit. The second are there because of the awesome alternative firmwares that outperform anything on the market, without caring that much about price and would often gladly pay more for something a bit more sturdy.

Those who want a cheap radio will have the 9XR, and will be able to run a great firmware on it.
Those who want a capable radio will have the X9D with dual RF, voice, higher quality hardware, logging, no hacking needed... and an even improved flavour of the same great firmware.

Currently some people buy 9Xs for $80 (that's the price from other sellers than HK). They add a $30 SmartieParts programmer and a $25 frsky module. That's already $135 for a radio you still have to open, mod, sometimes fix because it comes from the factory with defects, and which is of really low hardware quality.

Other people buy the same $80 9x, add a $90 sky9x board, a better LCD for $30, a convenient wiring harness for $25, the $25 frsky module... $250 for more features, but still less capability than an X9D, still some hacking needed, and still the same low quality hardware.

$190 for an X9D is a bargain. As said, an usual commercial radio that approaches it is 3x the price, AND there aren't even a lot of them in the first place (Graupner seems the closest indeed). And it's not open source, so you'll still have to change it the day you need a more complex model because it's artificially limited for marketing reasons.
Well said...and sound justification for pricing. Guess i just made a knee jerk reaction to the pricing without actually considering features. Really looking forward to the integrated voice if that is still a valid feature. I have a Flysky TH9X, Smartieparts with er9x, backlight, FrSky module, and just ordered TelemetrEZ. Not in the market for the 9, but will be holding out for the X12D as my primary radio...
Last edited by Levictus; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:26 PM
Chile
Joined Jul 2010
389 Posts
if Frsky can reach near the quality of Hitec radios at these prices, will be a serious alternative for all of futaba "orphans" that we can't renew our tx...
I applaud the choice of Frsky of not wanting to be a cheap brand... we don't need more...
by the way, anybody knows if frsky has intentions of produce a 6 o 7 channel tx in the near future? the promising flysky T6 model has serious problems and nobody knows if will be fixed
rajazo is offline Find More Posts by rajazo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV10 bronco
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
Well said...and sound justification for pricing.
What a joke. I've never read anything so distorted to reenforce a distorted opinion.

Quote:
Currently some people buy 9Xs for $80 (that's the price from other sellers than HK).
9XR is $50 not $80. Who would buy from elsewhere if they know they can get it cheaper at HK

Quote:
They add a $30 SmartieParts programmer and a $25 frsky module.
Just maybe if they buy a 9XR they don't want a frsky module. Especially when it comes with a DSM2/X module already installed

Quote:
you still have to open, mod, sometimes fix because it comes from the factory with defects, and which is of really low hardware quality.
Of course!! They ALWAYS come with defects and are REALLY low hardware quality.... Yeah right

And just for the record. I am considering buying either/both and currently have a DX8. So I am neither a Turnigy nor a Frsky junkie.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
X9D at that price would be way too much. Really needs to be sub $130 even with their options. Even at $130 it would be a stretch. The price difference between the 9XR and it will ensure it struggles comparatively.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Whatever...an opinion is neither right or wrong, that's why it's called an opinion.
Last edited by Levictus; Nov 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:33 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tignmeg View Post
What a joke. I've never read anything so distorted to reenforce a distorted opinion.
Wow, steady on there. Kilrah did in fact state that "those who want a cheap radio will have the 9XR", and was just pointing out that many people who are currently not satisfied with a stock 9X go on to spend quite a bit more bringing it up to a level which will probably not be equivalent to the X9D. Seems like a reasonable point to me, even if I would prefer to pay $50 for a $500 radio.
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:40 AM
Crash Test Pilot
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S View Post
Wow, steady on there. Kilrah did in fact state that "those who want a cheap radio will have the 9XR", and was just pointing out that many people who are currently not satisfied with a stock 9X go on to spend quite a bit more bringing it up to a level which will probably not be equivalent to the X9D. Seems like a reasonable point to me, even if I would prefer to pay $50 for a $500 radio.
I thought it was a sound explanation as well having actually spent money on the mods and currently own a 9x...
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
Registered Adict
Australia, WA, Drummond Cove
Joined Jun 2012
383 Posts
Quote:
I wasn't saying a thing about that. If he had I wouldn't have bothered posting.

If you read my post completely you will see I was identifying how he had tried to distort the price value and usability of the 9XR with unsubstantiated rubbish.
tignmeg is offline Find More Posts by tignmeg
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:53 AM
B12
Finland
Joined Sep 2010
583 Posts
Quote:
many people who are currently not satisfied with a stock 9X go on to spend quite a bit more bringing it up to a level which will probably not be equivalent to the X9D.
The current Flysky fhss RF link has nothing fundamentally wrong and is perfectly usable as is. The stock firmware is actually (very) good in helicopter use but seriously lacking if complex airplane mixing is needed ie gliders.

The stock firmware is what holds it behind. You do not need smartieparts board to use the open source firmwares. $3 usb programmer is all you need. It is actually better with more secure soldered contacts compared to pogo stick which generally work but manuy have had their share of contact problems. The downside is you have to have some soldering skills but not very high level at that.

Flash the firmware and add a $5 backlight at the same time for bling and you have a radio that in programming capability beats every radio under $1000 bracket.
B12 is offline Find More Posts by B12
Closed Thread