HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:04 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
I was thinking about the circuitry at the model end.

Do the sensor exist or are we still expected to make our own

No I'm not using a 9x but an Optic 6 with a module. when I bought it I went for the V8 as there was no instrumentation available at that time. So I'm wondering if that still teh case, there is no point in a fancy transmitter if the airborne equipment isnt available

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
The altitude sensor exists, but was discontinued, to make room to a new device, a full featured vario with bip beep beeeep... and all the buzz. The older sensor was useful for altitude only.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,277 Posts
I bought all my system with sensors back in February. They've been there for quite a while.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:52 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I was thinking about the circuitry at the model end.

Do the sensor exist or are we still expected to make our own

No I'm not using a 9x but an Optic 6 with a module. when I bought it I went for the V8 as there was no instrumentation available at that time. So I'm wondering if that still teh case, there is no point in a fancy transmitter if the airborne equipment isnt available

Terry

Terry,

Yes, it is all pretty much plug and play these days. Some of the features you requested do not exist at this time, but will in the new Transmitter that will be available very soon. (Alarms for most anything, true vario.)

Here is a complete list of sensors that are available today:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...y-sensors.html

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:08 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
Thanks Wayne

I see you need to use a hub to connect everything it looks pretty substantial but I note the weight isnt listed do you know what it is ? I fly small light models (300 - 600 grams) so carrying an extra 50 or 60 grams of electronics will notice.

Terry
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,597 Posts
The hub is pretty light thing, but all of the wires and such can get messy in a small plane. If you just want to monitor voltage, you do not need the hub. If you are going to monitor voltage and amperage, you do not need the hub. Most of the other sensors do require the hub.

With that stated, FrSky is working on making hub-less sensors. You will be able to daisey chain your sensors together. These "smart sensors" will cost a little more, but gets rid of limitations of the hub. These new sensors will start hitting the shelves a little while after the new transmitter is out. The nice thing is you will not be limited to the number of plugs on the hub, so if you want to run 5 temp sensors, you can. (I get the occasional request for folks flying scale 4 engine bombers that need to monitor each motor.)

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Chile
Joined Jul 2010
367 Posts
Terry, as rotozuk said , basic functions don't need the hub. I use the volt meter only and the module beep when reach lower volt or the rx has problem with signal (different beeps programed with a PC).... Really useful on small planes...
Just buy the USB interface to program all...
The telemetry hub is reserved for my future FPV
rajazo is online now Find More Posts by rajazo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV10 bronco
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:44 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
So if i'm understanding you all correctly I don't need a hub for signal strength and battery voltage. But if I want a readout of mAh used or a variometer then I need to wait for the new designs of sensors.

Terry
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,526 Posts
You can do vario now by wiring in the Thermal Scout vario to the FrSky hub and there are several youtube vids of folk doing that but Im looking forward to the new hubless vario too!
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
You can do vario now by wiring in the Thermal Scout vario to the FrSky hub and there are several youtube vids of folk doing that but Im looking forward to the new hubless vario too!
With all due respect....I found that combo rather worthless for me. I was able to see the glider rise in the thermal before the vario sounded. It needed to be more sensitive for my taste but yes it does work.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,526 Posts
ok good feedback and I will definately wait and buy the Frsky hubless vario when it gets released.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:04 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
But if I want a readout of mAh used
mAh used needs only the current sensor, no hub required. It's quite heavy however.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined May 2012
57 Posts
Yes, the FAS-100 is a bit heavy. But on FrSky Facebook there are another FAS-40 (40A Maximum) is available, pretty much "pocket side" compared with FAS-100 (11.4g vs 24g).

https://www.facebook.com/FrSkyRC
Zeeland is offline Find More Posts by Zeeland
Last edited by Zeeland; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,281 Posts
Same size, 38*30*10mm, only weight is half.
Still not able to fit in many planes, unfortunately, and frustrating, when we see around half sized similar units. The added data cascading logic seems too much for this approach.
I would suggest to redesign the layout as two boards, the sensor itself, and additional logic on a second board, the whole having a layout as close as possible to a cylinder, like 20*30*15mm, where 30mm is the length, along the connectors/wires direction.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:19 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
I'm starting to think that the weight and complexity of the on board electronics will make telemetry too complex expensive and heavy for the type of flying I do (parkfliers , a thermal soarer and a camera equipped easy star all flown LOS)

Terry
Closed Thread