Closed Thread
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:39 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Full failsafe even in 4ch model ?
For genuine FASST even the 6ch model has a so limited failsafe that make impossible usage for autopilots and flight controllers to engage RTH.
The 7-8ch that has full failsafe implementation are too expensive.
Are you saying the 7-8ch FrSky Rx with full failsafe are too expensive?

Do the FrSky 4-ch Rx not have full failsafe?

Or was all of this talking about genuine FASST Rx?
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
O

Speaking of FrSKY fun --- Perhaps FrSKY transmitters could have a startup sound like mine - - so people know how to pronounce the name. (It's not frisky)
I REALLY hope you are joking that is soooo Naff just a good loud beep is all that is required.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post

Everything was a reply to his question how better are Frsky FASST compatibles versus genuine.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:29 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post

Yes, he was talking about the Futaba versions.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to fly FASST, DSMX, Airtronics etc. They all lack RSSI, what I now consider a deal breaker. I love my RSSI.

The Futaba FASST and Airtronics have very good track records, but I want that RSSI warning.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Yes, he was talking about the Futaba versions.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to fly FASST, DSMX, Airtronics etc. They all lack RSSI, what I now consider a deal breaker. I love my RSSI.

The Futaba FASST and Airtronics have very good track records, but I want that RSSI warning.

-Wayne
I agree!

The only people that say it is not important are those that have never used it...
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:51 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
They all lack RSSI, what I now consider a deal breaker. I love my RSSI.
I can't really see much value in RSSI in normal line of sight flying. Very unlikely you'll lose enough signal strength with any of the 2.4ghz systems within that range.

But for FPV it would be great (says I, who lacks it).
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,018 Posts
IMHO, the value of having RSSI is in knowing if you are suffering from poor signal strength (due to antenna location or orientation). This applies regardless of whether you are in visual range or not.

Without it, you run the very real risk of only finding out that you had poor antenna installation AFTER your plane has buried itself in the ground...
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post
I can't really see much value in RSSI in normal line of sight flying. Very unlikely you'll lose enough signal strength with any of the 2.4ghz systems within that range.

I thought that until I has RSSI and found that I frequently got low signal while landing. It took quite awhile to figure out what was going on -- but it turns out that I keep my antenna bent at a 90 degree and use a tray .. so the antenna is essentially parallel with the ground and parallel with my shoulders. When landing I tend to turn my body so I'm "in the cockpit" and in doing so was pointing the antenna directly at the aircraft. Until I discovered this I had several unexplained signal issues. Now I point the antenna directly at the ground in front of me. This puts the weak signal hole running basically to the ground in front of me and behind my head.

One other thing I found RSSI useful for when I've had planes go down (while in landing final approach generally) is that I can use the RSSI to locate the plane.

It's kind of like my "smart phone". I thought it was pretty darn dumb until I inherited one from my son who couldn't make his payments, now don't dare try to pry it from my fingers. One of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. (that's what she said)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I thought that until I has RSSI and found that I frequently got low signal while landing. It took quite awhile to figure out what was going on -- but it turns out that I keep my antenna bent at a 90 degree and use a tray .. so the antenna is essentially parallel with the ground and parallel with my shoulders. When landing I tend to turn my body so I'm "in the cockpit" and in doing so was pointing the antenna directly at the aircraft. Until I discovered this I had several unexplained signal issues. Now I point the antenna directly at the ground in front of me. This puts the weak signal hole running basically to the ground in front of me and behind my head.

One other thing I found RSSI useful for when I've had planes go down (while in landing final approach generally) is that I can use the RSSI to locate the plane.

It's kind of like my "smart phone". I thought it was pretty darn dumb until I inherited one from my son who couldn't make his payments, now don't dare try to pry it from my fingers. One of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. (that's what she said)
Ditto for me - my plane was losing signal flying away from me on climbout (direct worst case for antennas the way I "had" them oriented). Narrow fuse glider so not a whole lot of choice. I never knew how close I was to going into failsafe due to my bad antenna layout - the RSSI feedback allows you to adjust such that you have no problem.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:21 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAltea View Post

This is what digital radios make you believe because you don't have glitches.
If you would have a logic analyzer placed on the receiver innards and see how many packets are lost in visual range, you will be scared !
Actually, the Frsky RSSI beeps only if there is no valid packet for 9msec, and in this time your receiver is in failsafe hold last command mode, the programmed failsafe engage only after one second.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:31 AM
TD- F3K- Slope - What to fly?
Cupertino CA
Joined Aug 2005
1,495 Posts
I used the RSSI as a downed plane locator today. Simple slope flight in too light a condition and landed down the hill in some bushes. The RSSI beeped until I got close to where I thought it was down and was back in range. I could keep it beeping if my body was between the TX and the Plane. That gave me the direct path to find it in the bushes.
Dale Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Dale Thompson
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:15 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,569 Posts
Is the telemetry plug and play yet ? last time I looked 2 years ago people were experimenting with resistors and circuits to get information back. I would like to easily have different alarms for low signal strength, max amp hours used and a variometer.with a tone output to an earphone that was over ridden by the other two alarms.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:13 AM
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Is the telemetry plug and play yet ? last time I looked 2 years ago people were experimenting with resistors and circuits to get information back. I would like to easily have different alarms for low signal strength, max amp hours used and a variometer.with a tone output to an earphone that was over ridden by the other two alarms.

Terry
Expectation is that Telemetry comes out of the box built in... So no plug and play

Scott
PS - the mod to get telemetry is worth doing on your existing transmitter (assuming you have a current FlySky 9x) if you are flying without - find a buddy to help with the work. I don't have a vario - but I do have an altimeter - love it.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,379 Posts
Telemetry is plug and play yes if you use the little screen frsky sells for it.
It's only those who want to have it on the screen of their 9x who need to tinker.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:40 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Telemetry is plug and play yes if you use the little screen frsky sells for it.
It's only those who want to have it on the screen of their 9x who need to tinker.
Scott
PS - the mod to get telemetry is worth doing on your existing transmitter (assuming you have a current FlySky 9x) if you are flying without - find a buddy to help with the work. I don't have a vario - but I do have an altimeter - love it.
And if you are less of a tinkerer and still want telemetry on your existing 9x, TelemetrEz (same guy who produces Smartieparts solder less board) is available for preorder!

http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=337

Sorry if a bit off topic, but responding to relevant posts...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Last edited by Levictus; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Closed Thread