SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
That would do me just nicely (with the tea making attachment)

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:49 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
The X9D doesnt look like it will balance on a neckstrap basedon the position of eye. did the original molding have that problem?
It was very likely again a mould designed for long, heavy MHz antennas indeed.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
You could also sell your Futaba receivers, and buy twice as many FrSky telmetry receivers (or more, maybe also the radio) for what you'll get out of them
NO! because FASST receivers are more reliable in my opinion and the FrSky receiver case is really poor quality.
I think the bottom of case was cut with scissors + crooked circuit board and sticker.
the 2 antennas are not high quality either I don't need to be expert to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post

If the new FrSky Tx's are both Spektrum and FASST compatible, it'll instantly make FrSky a player in the RC market rather than some niche company.
+1 the X9D is open source and has a high quality screen like $1000 Futaba radios but it's incompatible with FASST receivers...
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:27 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Dec 2010
39 Posts
ability to use lower voltage/lighter battery may offset antenna from a balance standpoint. Can we get a picture of it hanging on the hook location?
indyjem is offline Find More Posts by indyjem
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
high quality screen? well, thats something that's still needs to be confirmed
its just a (probably cheap) dot matrix LCD,
when its released we will check if the time response is a bad as the stock LCD of flysky 9x,
or not,
To date, we can check the shell is quite bad quality as its the kingmax radio shell,
but the inner electrics are going to be much better theoretically.
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:40 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
NO! because FASST receivers are more reliable in my opinion and the FrSky receiver case is really poor quality.
I think the bottom of case was cut with scissors + crooked circuit board and sticker.
the 2 antennas are not high quality either I don't need to be expert to say that.
Lots of people would disagree with you there. Yes the cases are sometimes not perfect, but they're fit for purpose and lighter than a thick plastic moulding. Most importantly I've yet to have a single glitch from any FrSky unit, and everyone in our club who's used them has had a similar experience. I'm not saying FASST is rubbish - it's a great, well proven system - but all the real world evidence suggests alternatives such as FrSky ACCST, Hitec AHFSS and Spektrum DSMX can be just as reliable if correctly installed and powered. Plus FrSky is way cheaper, a very significant factor to most users...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Looks Blah! Ergonomics Blah! The X9DA being an entry level I suppose it must be made appealing to the kiddies and those easily impressed by gooked up facades. But why does it have to be entry level? Why can they not make a more serious functional box? An X9DB. I like the idea that what I hold in my hands is art, and not of the cartoon variety.

Now the X12D is as most have said, okay. A modernish design. Should my 6EXA/DHT [backup Tx] fry then I'll consider the X9D otherwise wait for the X12D which will bump a Royal Evo/DHT-U into the backup spot.

Well there's my $.02

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Last edited by The Tellurian; Nov 14, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
I find it odd how many criticise with so little concrete information and without ever holding either Tx in their hands. Opinions vary of course about look and features, but many are strident in their demands that this or that be included, all in a Tx that is IMO very likely to be vastly more capable than most $500+ current generation Tx and sell for less than brand-name entry-level six channel Tx.

New generation Tx like the X9D and the 9XR are going to redefine the meaning of "entry-level" by a huge factor. Odds are both will have far more capability than needed by the vast majority of users, but will offer new entrants to the hobby enormous headroom and growth potential while barely dinting the wallet. If you want all that power for under $100 then you have to accept the use of a shell based on existing production equipment. Get over it.

The X12D and X16D appear likely to compete in features and ability with the very top end of the market where Tx are currently $800+. Again they are likely to reset expectations about the price for such products. I doubt anyone without brand prejudice will ever pay more than a few hundred dollars for a Tx again.

I believe that both HK and FrSky are very genuine about releasing these market-changing new generation products and the hobby will benefit from their willingness to invest and take a risk.

No doubt many will continue to critcise and complain but it looks to me as if the glass is a lot more than half full and those with a little patience will have a lot of fun soon enough.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
I can comment on the reliability of the FrSky system. When I compete we have anywhere from 6-12 planes in the air at one time plus all the other 20-40 pilots tuning and doing other stuff with their planes. I have never had a glitch with my FrSky system I put in an old JR7202.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:13 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
Now the X12D is as most have said, okay. A modernish design. Should my 6EXA/DHT [backup Tx] fry then I'll consider the X9D otherwise wait for the X12D which will bump a Royal Evo/DHT-U into the backup spot.
+1 - my Evo 9 is definitely getting scared of the X12D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
I find it odd how many criticise with so little concrete information and without ever holding either Tx in their hands. Opinions vary of course about look and features, but many are strident in their demands that this or that be included, all in a Tx that is IMO very likely to be vastly more capable than most $500+ current generation Tx and sell for less than brand-name entry-level six channel Tx.

New generation Tx like the X9D and the 9XR are going to redefine the meaning of "entry-level" by a huge factor. Odds are both will have far more capability than needed by the vast majority of users, but will offer new entrants to the hobby enormous headroom and growth potential while barely dinting the wallet. If you want all that power for under $100 then you have to accept the use of a shell based on existing production equipment. Get over it.

The X12D and X16D appear likely to compete in features and ability with the very top end of the market where Tx are currently $800+. Again they are likely to reset expectations about the price for such products. I doubt anyone without brand prejudice will ever pay more than a few hundred dollars for a Tx again.

I believe that both HK and FrSky are very genuine about releasing these market-changing new generation products and the hobby will benefit from their willingness to invest and take a risk.

No doubt many will continue to critcise and complain but it looks to me as if the glass is a lot more than half full and those with a little patience will have a lot of fun soon enough.
Post of the day! I totally agree.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My OpenTX Taranis templates...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:24 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
If you want all that power for under $100 then you have to accept the use of a shell based on existing production equipment. Get over it.
Or pass over it and wait for the X12D. I can only afford one for the foreseeable future. I agree with the rest.

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Dream buying this from HK ?
wouldn't be surprised..
They sell all the other frsky stuff, why not the radios?
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2009
295 Posts
X9D will have a new module XJT which has three selectable modes - D8 (existing 8ch two-way), D16 (new 16ch two-way full duplex transmission) and LR12 (new 12ch one-way long range). Here we use DJT in the photo, as XJT has not been available yet.

Trainer port (left), audio port (right), SD slot located in battery bay.
Name: X9D-back.jpg
Views: 711
Size: 133.6 KB
Description:
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Chase Wu you should make a banner to promote this new radio...
I just posted a pic of the X9D on the XPS-3216 vapoware thread, (JimDrew will delete it later)
someone is now asking me by PM where to find more info about it...
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,117 Posts
d8 is half duplex then? frsky telemetry as been always full duplex right? or i am wrong?

nice to see its going to be a JR slot! x12d jr too, right?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Closed Thread