SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
I've never used the fx18, but the trim on the 9x is identical to the trim button on any JR or Spektrum radio. And the same as most radios I've seen. Click up, or down, or left or right. Emulating the older analog trim adjusters that actually moved the pot isn't a bad thing in my opinion. The trim motions are natural enough.

I see on a picture of the fx18 what you might be talking about. Just personal preference, but I prefer the JR/Spektrum/9x way of doing the trim adjustment. It's easier to find without looking compared the the fx18. And even better, with er9x I can set the trim adjustment speed. Slow, med, fast, or exponential.
Slow med, fast expo ... are all cpu/fw stuffs ... that even my 10y old futaba has

A small, but easy to use trim, is better then a big one ... since often you want to make multiple trim click in a fast way ... with a big trim be fast is not easy ... plus using a old analog trim style is looking unnatural ... something so big look more easy to be touch by accident ...
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
If FrSky is not to be relegated to some niche transmitter for radio tinkerers, they should keep up with the iPhone generation and come up with an easy and simple user interface. It can be done - see Spektrum DX8's very simple, but strong, UI.
The problem with the easy to use interface, is often that it is too limited. It does basic things very well, but simply cannot do complicated things that advanced users might want to do.

This is true of both Spektrum and iPhone.

It doesn't have to be this way. Certainly they could offer a "basic" menu, and then a different systems for advanced users. But I think it's just a numbers game. They make the bulk of their money from the hordes of simple users, and there's simply no reason to invest more in advanced stuff.

But this is the beauty of open source. You can achieve both goals. Spend minimum resources on basic functionality. But then let enthusiasts develop the good stuff.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Aug 2009
109 Posts
I been following this thread for some time, I would like to say that I am a programmer , I program in C,C++,Fortran, 8088 Assembly language and etc., With this I am not trying to say that I am a genius (not even close) I am trying to say that I believe I can learn an system and used to its best, I had (or have access to) Spektrum DX7, Turnigy 9X with its original firmware and the er9x, Futaba 8fg and the Hitec Aurora 9 and ALL I can say that the BEST and most USER friendly software I seen so far w/o any questions in my mind is the HITEC AURORA 9 I only wish they had the possibility to setup a sequencer other than that I always could do everything I wanted to do on the Aurora. Another thing I would like to see in the Aurora is the possibility to setup any channel from the training plug (for the FPV community is important when you use goggles) for some reason HITEC has refuse to add this to the firmware.
To me that (the Aurora 9) is the way a good radio should be , User friendly & flexible , I really don't want to spend hours to figure how to setup this or that and from the marketing point of view USER FRIENDLY and FLEXIBILITY is a must. I wish Hitec had a 12 channel AURORA
Changing the subject, I am a FrSky fan (I have one module on one of my Aurora 9 transmitters) , there modules work and are very solid and reliable and the receiver price are very good, My concern when I read all this thread is that I have not seen not one picture of the BETA FRSKY transmitter NOTHING, same apply to the XPS Transmitter thread (3 year taking about) pages and pages on a Transmitter that is supposed to be ALMOST ready to hit the market and not one picture? not a little show up on how the BETA software is working? nothing? that make me wonder if it really the transmitter is coming that soon.

Sorry for my English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
The problem with the easy to use interface, is often that it is too limited. It does basic things very well, but simply cannot do complicated things that advanced users might want to do.

This is true of both Spektrum and iPhone.

It doesn't have to be this way. Certainly they could offer a "basic" menu, and then a different systems for advanced users. But I think it's just a numbers game. They make the bulk of their money from the hordes of simple users, and there's simply no reason to invest more in advanced stuff.

But this is the beauty of open source. You can achieve both goals. Spend minimum resources on basic functionality. But then let enthusiasts develop the good stuff.
wwmilanl is offline Find More Posts by wwmilanl
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,062 Posts
R_Lefebvre - I agree. I have an Android phone (HTC Thunderbolt) right now. But I've been off contract for a while and am about to switch to an iPhone 5 as soon as I can get my hands on one. Yes, Android is very powerful and allows you to configure the phone exactly the way you want it. But I'm also tired of the sudden reboots, lock-ups, and missed calls that are beginning to happen more frequently. But I don't own a phone for it's specs or "configureability". I want to be able to use it for calls, texts, and photos. So with an iPhone I'll look like every other douche-bag out there carrying one. But at least it'll be butter smooth and the Apple store provides rock solid support.

Likewise, I want to enjoy flying my planes rather than tooling around my transmitter. And I'm probably similar to 99.9% of the people buying transmitters out there who'd rather be flying than spending endless amounts of time tinkering with our transmitter.

A very easy to use interface similar to the DX8 is optimal. Like R_Lefebvre said, then having an advance menu like in my Futaba 7C would be cool too for people who like to play with under the hood.

Hopefully, FrSky will put some thought into this and they'll get it right off the blocks.

Edit: Input on RCGroups is very deceptive. There's probably maybe 100 hard-core FrSky people on this discussion thread asking for ER9X style of UI? How's FrSky going to turn a profit by catering to just about 100 individuals? If they're to reach a critical mass, they need to put out a product that appeals to the dumb masses like me.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
People...you do realize FrSky does have the ability to satisfy both wants and needs as far as firmware. If they provide a pre loaded intuitive firmware for the masses along with a USB port for two things: future updates for the preloaded firmware and with the ability to flash the EEPROM with custom firmware like er9x, everyone will be satisfied. Here's hoping!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,224 Posts
Would it be possible to have an easy to use interface for setting up a model quickly like the aurora 9 and have the results editable and any extra mixes etc could be added or would this just get confusing?
Or maybe have 2 interfaces running side by side so a normal plane could be set up quickly and then a more complicated one set up with the custom interface.
I'm sure everything will be possible and the main thing at the moment is that frsky do a good job on the hardware side and that the firmware is stable, the main thing is do not release a unstable version that will crash planes!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levictus View Post
People...you do realize FrSky does have the ability to satisfy both wants and needs as far as firmware. If they provide a pre loaded intuitive firmware for the masses along with a USB port for two things: future updates for the preloaded firmware and with the ability to flash the EEPROM with custom firmware like er9x, everyone will be satisfied. Here's hoping!
I disagree a bit with FrSky having the ability to satisfy both needs. Not and keep the price point where they want it......
I don't believe their strength is in their code -- but in their hardware. Their GUI on the DHTU and the FLD-02 is clunky at best. To their credit -- they listen to their users with great interest and work to remedy issues. If they were to spend the time to develop a strong GUI the price of the development would be considerably higher. The transmitters will certainly be open source -- and the best source of firmware will come from making it open source. If the open source code jockeys want to develop for only code jockeys then FrSKY will have a limited user base. I

However -- "the masses" really won't care either way because "the masses" don't even use the most features their Futabas, JR's, and Spektrums provide because they just don't get it. Exponential and dual rates mystify way too many pilots -- and elevons, V-tail, and mixes are not used by the mass of the masses because they don't understand how to set them up -- EVEN with the the "easy GUIs".

Rotozuk -- Here is a control for your experiment. Put a Futaba in the hand of a set of pilots that have never programmed one, or a Spektrum in the hand of any pilot that's never programmed one of them -- and ask them to set up a full house glider. Get a video tape because what follows might make America's funniest home video.

I'm not pulling this out of my empennage -- I've asked many friends about how they program their birds or set them up in the first place because I'm a club trainer and I've noticed this void of understanding for some time.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,884 Posts
Scott, do they get to use the manual or do they have to wing it?
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Scott, do they get to use the manual or do they have to wing it?
I truly intuitive system won't need a manual. I'd start by what can they figure out and then go from there. Let's face it - that's how most of us do it anyway.

You do bring up a good point however -- that a well written manual make all the difference in the world. My father and I have both bought third party manuals for our Futaba radios because they were much better than the stock manuals.

Writing manuals is also not a strong point of FrSKY. But -- to emphasize it again because I don't want to sound like I'm trashing them -- their strength is a quality hardware product for a very competitive price. In my opinion they are unmatched in that regard. Their users are not able to do that -- but - if so inclined - their users base is able to create a very good manual, better GUI, YouTube videos.
I'd started to make youtube videos -- but the inane criticism I received deflated my motivation. I may get back to it sometime soon.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmilanl View Post
I wish Hitec had a 12 channel AURORA
Haha, that might be a long wait. They messed up their programming and can not support any more channels with their current setup.

I do agree, I think Hitec did a very nice job with the programming on the Aurora. You can use the "simple" method to quickly set things up and then dig in deeper and fine tune. I was able to mess around with the radio without cracking open the manual at all. Well done. They do not force you to use the easy method, and they do not force you into the technical method either.

Scott - You are right, setting up a full house glider is tough. Most of my planes are full house, and I prefer to copy an existing program and clean it up rather than start fresh. I can typically jump into a Hitec, Spektrum, JR or Futaba and figure out how to program what I'm after. I can not do that with the 9X radios I recently picked up. I'll need to play with them some to understand them a bit more. Not the end of the world, just not "user friendly", but do we expect a radio that forces us into gobs and gobs of time and parts investment to be user friendly? LOL (besides, most Spektrum radios can't support a full house glider.)

I expect the FrSky radios to be MUCH better than the 9X in terms of user friendliness. If FrSky wants to make a big impact, than the average person needs to be able to use the system out of the box. Similar to the FrSky modules... Plug them in, bind, enjoy.

If power users want to go crazy, then they are welcome to it, and they will be the ones that are capable of such tasks.

I have not played with the big Airtronics or the big Spektrum, I hear good things about both of them. I think the Spektrum 18 actually has presets for gliders with 8 servos in the wings, pretty rare to see that many features in a radio.

I'd hope that FrSky will also offer a nice software package that will allow trading of "templates" from user to user like the 9X does. I could put together a complex template for a plane, then post a link for others to get a copy and install onto their radio. Sure make airplane reviews a bit more useful.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:41 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,470 Posts
here is an example of a quite simple (maybe average) mix on er9x..
open gear bay doors, wait "x" seconds, bring the gear down with slow down motion (but the gear come down not synchronised (using delay and slow down), wait until the gear is down, delay "x" seconds, then close gear bay doors with slow down also to make it look nice and real..

How many radios can do this? This is the kind of power I like on a tx.. and how much would I have to pay for one that can eventually do this?

P.S. - Oh, and almost forgot.. And at the end of the process the tx says "Gear down and locked"
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Last edited by jhsa; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
here is an example of a quite simple (maybe average) mix on er9x..
open gear bay doors, wait "x" seconds, bring the gear down with slow down motion (but the gear come down not synchronised (using delay and slow down), wait until the gear is down, delay "x" seconds, then close gear bay doors with slow down also to make it look nice and real..

How many radios can do this? This is the kind of power I like on a tx.. and how much would I have to pay for one that can eventually do this?

P.S. - Oh, and almost forgot.. And at the end of the process the tx says "Gear down and locked"
The voice hack is neat, but I will have to wait on that one. Might be a bit over my head.

If there is an X9D in the wings for 2012 or early 13, then the whole issue is in the hands of the marketing dept. Engineers are on the next 2 iterations of the TX. I think we will see what FRSky is made of with the X9D. Everything said in this Forum rings true to me (except ugly re:the 9X- "beauty is in the eye of the beholder")
The Marketing Dept will make or break FRSky. This assumes the tx is as solid as their rx fleet. I expect it will be and I will buy one as my needs are not complex (but I love tinkering).

Just filling space as we wait.
oldpal44 is offline Find More Posts by oldpal44
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
Frsky, I don't know if it was asked before but how about?

Model Match?
Servo Balancing? spectrum dx18 is already offering.
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:59 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,789 Posts
Model match is supposed to be a feature of the new protocol, yep. No idea what servo balancing is though
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmilanl View Post
I been following this thread for some time, I would like to say that I am a programmer , I program in C,C++,Fortran, 8088 Assembly language and etc., With this I am not trying to say that I am a genius (not even close) I am trying to say that I believe I can learn an system and used to its best, I had (or have access to) Spektrum DX7, Turnigy 9X with its original firmware and the er9x, Futaba 8fg and the Hitec Aurora 9 and ALL I can say that the BEST and most USER friendly software I seen so far w/o any questions in my mind is the HITEC AURORA 9 I only wish they had the possibility to setup a sequencer other than that I always could do everything I wanted to do on the Aurora. Another thing I would like to see in the Aurora is the possibility to setup any channel from the training plug (for the FPV community is important when you use goggles) for some reason HITEC has refuse to add this to the firmware.
To me that (the Aurora 9) is the way a good radio should be , User friendly & flexible , I really don't want to spend hours to figure how to setup this or that and from the marketing point of view USER FRIENDLY and FLEXIBILITY is a must. I wish Hitec had a 12 channel AURORA
Changing the subject, I am a FrSky fan (I have one module on one of my Aurora 9 transmitters) , there modules work and are very solid and reliable and the receiver price are very good, My concern when I read all this thread is that I have not seen not one picture of the BETA FRSKY transmitter NOTHING, same apply to the XPS Transmitter thread (3 year taking about) pages and pages on a Transmitter that is supposed to be ALMOST ready to hit the market and not one picture? not a little show up on how the BETA software is working? nothing? that make me wonder if it really the transmitter is coming that soon.

Sorry for my English.
I'd avoid putting FrSky and XPS on that same context.
FrSky despite not showing so far any photos of the radio has been delivering up to a good rate all the request and promised gear.
As for XPS... 3yrs...
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Closed Thread