HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:30 AM
Registered User
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,285 Posts
I keep getting tempted to get a second hand tx instead of waiting for this, an aurora 9 just came up for 160 with a 9ch rx and lipo for tx, 1 year old in perfect condition!
Hurry up frsky!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:21 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,635 Posts
Compatibility?

Renatoa or Chas

Will the new Tx change the FrSky transmission protocol at all?

What I am interested in (and I guess most people will be) is that our existing Rx and other stuff will work with the new TX and that any new Rx (such as a 12 Ch one) would be backwards compatible with our existing Rx modules.

Thanks

John
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,997 Posts
The new radio will use PXX as main protocol, and also PPM on trainer of course, and for the optional external modules of other make than Frsky.

Actual receivers will be PXX upgradable by firmware change, not sure yet if a PXX upgraded receiver will still be able to bind to a PPM Frsky radio. Once PXX upgraded I don't see any reason to go back PPM, to many advantages, bidirectional serial and model match to name only two.

There will be a choice to have more than 8 channels using two PXXed D8Rs, as are now paired the Futaba compatible receivers, so buying a 12ch receiver is not mandatory to access the new protocol.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:40 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,635 Posts
Thanks, Renatoa. That's good news.

So another question is. What is the likelihood of FrSky bring out a PXX version of the DHT/DHT-U?

It would be a very attractive upgrade for people with older higher end 12 Ch transmitters. Going Tx PPM -> Module PXX may not seem logical technically but it would be just fine for many people I suspect.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
The new radio will use PXX as main protocol, and also PPM on trainer of course, and for the optional external modules of other make than Frsky.

Actual receivers will be PXX upgradable by firmware change, not sure yet if a PXX upgraded receiver will still be able to bind to a PPM Frsky radio. Once PXX upgraded I don't see any reason to go back PPM, to many advantages, bidirectional serial and model match to name only two.

There will be a choice to have more than 8 channels using two PXXed D8Rs, as are now paired the Futaba compatible receivers, so buying a 12ch receiver is not mandatory to access the new protocol.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:05 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,997 Posts
I think this is the plan, 9X is already PXXed on the radio side, and waiting the Frsky PXX firmware for actual TX modules.
If current Tx modules can be PXXed, DHT-U is also obvious eligible, is same hardware in other case.
But the upgrade will be a bit more than protocol, I am afraid... imagine the implications to have model match... different alarms for any model, lot of screens changes.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:13 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,635 Posts
Well I hope you encourage them to do it. The present screens are hardly brilliant.

It would be a good opportunity to generally improve the user interface.

Thanks for the info. It is good news.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
I think this is the plan, 9X is already PXXed on the radio side, and waiting the Frsky PXX firmware for actual TX modules.
If current Tx modules can be PXXed, DHT-U is also obvious eligible, is same hardware in other case.
But the upgrade will be a bit more than protocol, I am afraid... imagine the implications to have model match... different alarms for any model, lot of screens changes.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:41 AM
Dean
A10FLYR's Avatar
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post

Actual receivers will be PXX upgradable by firmware change,

.
So then, our present RXs will be upgradable for the 12 TX?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:58 AM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,997 Posts
If you like to add a second full 8ch receiver for 1-2 channels, yes.
But probably the 12ch receiver will cost less than two D8R, I hope, else I don't see the logic.

I don't think the radios will be channel limited by software, is a nonsense in digital, where channels are numbers, not electronic circuits as in FM radios.
My take for a RC system will be to design it with virtually unlimited channels, because the users will pay channels count on receiver side anyway, not on radio side.
The problem with many channels radios isn't the channels count, but how to control them... you can't control 16 channels from 2 sticks 3 pots and 8 switches only... even you mix them as a web.
Based on the old designs of extensible radios, I would provide an additional pad with another two sticks, more pots, more switches, even USB joysticks coupled to central unit by a communication line. Who really needs all these widgets, will pay for additional unit, the others will try to live with gazillion channels the main unit is capable and few controls.
Imagine such architecture on a aerial video multicopter: the pilot focus on pilot, while the video operator controls the rig using the secondary pad... or a 4 motors WWII scale bomber, flown FPV, fitted with three cameras, front back and top, rotating 360 degrees ! Who is able to fly alone such thing even with 24 channels ?! with a copilot able to switch the cameras and operate all the stuff on such platform from the secondary pad the things becomes more attractive
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Dean
A10FLYR's Avatar
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
If you like to add a second full 8ch receiver for 1-2 channels, yes.
But probably the 12ch receiver will cost less than two D8R, I hope, else I don't see the logic.
Oh hell, I only need 8 ch! Looks like I'm gonna have a BUNCH of 6 and 8 ch RXs for sale! And some modules as well.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
JUNK RADIO
Flazo's Avatar
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,136 Posts
when is this Transmitter coming out? Very sorry if someone asked this question Already.

fred
I hope faster than XPS systems.
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:15 PM
Registered User
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,997 Posts
XPS is waiting for this system issue, to decide which feature to pick for their system, and leave some for the next model
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
IceWind's Avatar
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,664 Posts
How will the current TX modules behave with PXX?

My main interest is the model match, I have it on my Spektrum radios and I really like that feature.
I believe there was some work done with the open source 9x firmware on that way right?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
jhsa's Avatar
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,482 Posts
I hope they give us good hardware.. As far as firmware is concerned there are already a couple excellent open source ones..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
Registered User
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
..
I don't think the radios will be channel limited by software, is a nonsense in digital, where channels are numbers, not electronic circuits as in FM radios.
My take for a RC system will be to design it with virtually unlimited channels, because the users will pay channels count on receiver side anyway, not on radio side.

The problem with many channels radios isn't the channels count, but how to control them... you can't control 16 channels from 2 sticks 3 pots and 8 switches only... even you mix them as a web.
Based on the old designs of extensible radios, I would provide an additional pad with another two sticks, more pots, more switches, even USB joysticks coupled to central unit by a communication line....
Well, I completely agree with first part - but _some_ business managers may pull the rest of thir hair...
Anyway, I disagree with second part - a man has only two hands, by default :-) , so, two sticks are all that he may control. Perhaps 3rd axis (turning the stick in place) may get usable - just a crazy attempt to add more controls..
Anyway, servos are cheap and planes get more complex and grew in size - a lot of servos may work upon single yaw or roll or elevator input.. but 16 servos should suffice for most users and for couple of yearss - just guessing.

Just a crystal ball OT opinion - there are gyros and various sensors, and many new sensors (e.g. pressure at the wing) may appear soon, so the control unit to incorporate sensor input into servo movement, will be just the necessary step in _near_ future (in heli or copter, it is already common - but those units are still not setup from transmitters..). It will be nice to have all the setup handy, in tx. But it will be next generation, not this thread topic.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Last edited by coro; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
I disagree about the "two sticks argument", lets take a joystick with a viewing hat for example..one can operate both, one with the whole hand and the other with a finger.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Frsky X12D renatoa Romania 22 Mar 15, 2013 05:01 AM
Cool FrSky Radio Sale Rotozuk Hot Online Deals 95 Apr 04, 2012 07:08 PM
Discussion New radio to go with FrSky Teamsherman Australia 37 Mar 28, 2012 05:36 AM
Sold FlySky 9x TH9X radio w/ FrSky Telemetry Module and 2s 1300 battery. NEW! JIMinKENTUCKY Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Feb 25, 2012 06:08 PM
Discussion Ordering a new radio setup, 9x + frsky telemetry, am I missing anything? carl1864 Radios 8 Nov 28, 2011 10:53 PM