SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2011
145 Posts
Wayne, maybe you should add some information to alofthobbies.com, because once people see this ad, they will go there and... find nothing. Also, do you plan taking preorders?

My four most favourite features are:
- RSSI despite I never had a signal loss with other systems, not even MHz one, but it's nice to be reassured that everything is fine
- current sensor - I don't have to limit my flight time, because I don't know how much of the battery is left. In good old days, I used a timer and 50 % of battery, later I used votlage sensor and 60 % of battery, now I use current sensor and 80 % of battery, which is great.
- vario sensor, well... just an altitude sensor repeating altitude over and over again. It helps me find thermals, so I can fly much longer.
- last not least is the price tag. Other big brand systems are way too expensive compared to FrSky. I don't have to think about buying receiver for every plane I have. I won't be able to do this with Futaba/JETI prices.
mihlit is offline Find More Posts by mihlit
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:34 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
So on this subject, what is your favorite feature of the FrSky system? And how do you explain it to your friends?

-Wayne
Very high performance relative to the outlay, as well as in an absolute sense. Systems costing five times more provide very little additional benefit, and they're arguably weaker in some key areas.

Disclaimer: nothing. I have no connection whatsoever to any manufacturer of RC gear. I just buy their stuff
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:41 PM
Mostly harmless
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
If I have interpreted the spec correctly then if I want a transmitter that I can use with my existing V8 series Frsky receivers and my DSM2 models then this isn't it. Which after all this speculation and hype is a HUGE disapointment.

Terry
Pretty sure you're wrong there

Quote:
- Compatibility is maintained with FrSky ACCST V8FR-II, V8R7-II, V8R4-II, VD5M receivers and with every FrSky ACCST Duplex receiver.
So your FrSky Rxs use the built-in Tx, and you use a DSM2 Module in the back for your DSM2 Rxs
FlyingPhilUK is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RJX X-tron 500 build
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:41 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
If I have interpreted the spec correctly then if I want a transmitter that I can use with my existing V8 series Frsky receivers and my DSM2 models then this isn't it. Which after all this speculation and hype is a HUGE disapointment.
You can put your existing module in the back slot and use your V8 receivers. For DSM, if you currently have a DSM module you can plug it in too. Or get one of you don't, $30 from HK.

Quote:
They may be aware that they can put sensors in the plane and get some numbers on a screen somewhere, but they don't know why they would be interested in this.
Which is why voice is a great point. When they understand they can know their battery voltage or mAh consumption without even looking at the screen, then...

Quote:
So on this subject, what is your favorite feature of the FrSky system? And how do you explain it to your friends?
Speaking of the radios to me it would be open source support, with everything else following so close behind that it just makes it a whole awesome package. Just compare them to the other brand name manufacturers and there's nothing more to say.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:44 PM
Mostly harmless
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jan 2013
958 Posts
Quote:

-Wayne
The Built-in telemetry, the multi Tx Modes (built-in FrSky, plus external modules), the hopefully great software, the price, the number of channels ...

- but since we don't have much real information, it's only speculation at this point.
FlyingPhilUK is offline Find More Posts by FlyingPhilUK
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RJX X-tron 500 build
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Deleted. Duplicate post.
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Last edited by O.G. Gamesta; Feb 20, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:12 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Please note, I just updated the ad graphic in the original posting. It was being linked elsewhere and I thought it best to put the less embarrassing version up. LOL

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:20 PM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I before E except after C.

Repeat it a few times and you'll remember it. It's something that school children here get drummed into them at an early age!
I before E except after C, or when sounding like A as in neighbor or weigh. That's the version I learned, it helps with some of the exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post

"I before E except in 50,000 cases" is perhaps more accurate, as science, weight, and species may attest

Renatoa is of course quite right, to clarify.
Weight is covered under the longer version of the rule/rhyme, which I posted above. But, you are right, tons of exceptions, just like just about everything in English. As Brian Regan joked:
Quote:
I before E except after C, and when sounding like A as in neighbor or weigh... And on weekends and holidays and all throughout May, and you'll always be wrong no matter what you say.
Wikipedia has a list of the exceptions, for those that are intrigued by such things.

English spelling is so bad, listen to what Wikipedia says:
Quote:
English orthography is the alphabetic spelling system used by the English language. English orthography, like other alphabetic orthographies, exhibits a set of relationships between speech sounds and the corresponding written words. In most other languages, these relationships are regular enough to be called rules. In standard English spelling, however, nearly every sound can be spelled in more than one way, and most spellings and all letters can be pronounced in more than one way and often in many different ways. This is largely due to the complex history of the English language,[1] together with the absence of systematic spelling reforms implemented in English, in contrast to the position in a number of other languages.

In general, English spelling does not reflect the sound changes in the pronunciation of the language that have occurred since the late fifteenth century.[2]
I can understand because of how many words got brought in from other languages, but why don't we work on fixing it? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard, at least in relation to how much easier it would make spelling words.
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:25 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2011
648 Posts
Between 1972-1975 in Australia we had a Minister for Helth (at least informerly) due to the Health ministers push for spelling reform.
BrettAltea is offline Find More Posts by BrettAltea
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:15 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseyfert3 View Post
I can understand because of how many words got brought in from other languages, but why don't we work on fixing it? Seems like it shouldn't be too hard, at least in relation to how much easier it would make spelling words.
There's a very good reason why we don't try to "fix" our system to make our spelling follow pronunciation. The Irish and people from Texas and those that hail from Newfoundland... they all speak "english", right? Now good luck finding any similarities in pronunciations!

In the US alone... raise your hand if you've heard "Washington" pronounced with an R!?!? So who's version do we accept as the one to define the spelling?

Is it "Good Day" or is it "Gidday"? And the other half of that greeting... in Australia it would be spelled "mite" or "myte" or "miyt" or something like that where in Canada, where its spoken correctly (of course) it would remain "mate". Or should it be mait? Or mayt? Or maixght where every letter is silent except the ones we don't want?

Any hockey fans out there? Pronounce this name: Byfuglien. Whatever we do, let's not ask his family to fix things, k? (ps. its pronounced "Buff-Linn")
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:23 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseyfert3 View Post
Yes we should! We should make sure that every one spells colour, centre, cheque, tyre, etc. correctly. While we at it, we should correct those who pronounces alu-min-i-um ......

...... No?
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:13 PM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
There's a very good reason why we don't try to "fix" our system to make our spelling follow pronunciation. The Irish and people from Texas and those that hail from Newfoundland... they all speak "english", right? Now good luck finding any similarities in pronunciations!

In the US alone... raise your hand if you've heard "Washington" pronounced with an R!?!? So who's version do we accept as the one to define the spelling?

Is it "Good Day" or is it "Gidday"? And the other half of that greeting... in Australia it would be spelled "mite" or "myte" or "miyt" or something like that where in Canada, where its spoken correctly (of course) it would remain "mate". Or should it be mait? Or mayt? Or maixght where every letter is silent except the ones we don't want?

Any hockey fans out there? Pronounce this name: Byfuglien. Whatever we do, let's not ask his family to fix things, k? (ps. its pronounced "Buff-Linn")
Hmm, you have a good point. I was born in Minnesota and my parents were raised in Wisconsin, so myself and all the members of my family say words like rag, bag, and flag with a long A, as in paid, instead of how most people say it, with a short A, as in cannon.

But we don't pronounce words like sad and bad like sale and bale, I think it's just the words that use a G in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
Yes we should! We should make sure that every one spells colour, centre, cheque, tyre, etc. correctly. While we at it, we should correct those who pronounces alu-min-i-um ......

...... No?
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:21 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
I speak fluent jive.
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

Love hearing Bruce on RCMR pronounce solder with an l. Always proununced it soder, but of course it has an l in it. Never thought twice about it. You furriners are having a bad influence on me.

Regionalisms are funny. I'm from Norfolk, VA, where our women neither drink norfolk.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,405 Posts
I have to grin at the language related posts above- well done all. I think it's mostly the generation who learned to write with a pencil (and read from books), that still cares about correct spelling.

As to a Byfuglien: That sounds like a particularly ugly species of mother-in-law.....

Anyhow, better "baig" it and get back on topic, mait
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Closed Thread