Limited by SD card size only
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Limited model memories are a thing of the past that is just good for the mainstream brands to make sure you'll be tight soon enough so you have to buy the next model

Wayne, you forgot one of the most important point - Voice telemetry out of the box!
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:29 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Reciever could be misspelled... please, take it from a non native English speaker
Yes, it is misspelled.

While we're at it:
  • "upto" isn't a word. You have it correct "up to" in the first point, but incorrect in the 2nd to last.
  • I don't understand the title's reference. Why is the "r" hyphentated from "evolution"? Is it a play on words between "revolution" and "evolution" or is it trying to say an evolution which is happening again (re-evolution)?
  • Is "receiver lock" something people know? i don't... but maybe its just me. I have no idea what that's referencing. I would suspect it means I can lock-out a rx from being used, but I'm not sure why I'd want to
  • "Back lit" should be one word "Backlit"
  • "Full Duplex" should be hyphenated ("Full-duplex")

Trying to be helpful, not picky. Small errors in advertisements can really bug some people, even if they don't consciously realize it (or so my various marketing text books said so) Though I'm now thinking that I'm not clear if you were posting prior to running the ad or if its already run?
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Last edited by s_mack; Feb 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:39 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
important point for most people is - ball bearing gimbals - other chinese radios need to be upgraded for only $40
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Why's that important? Supposedly the 9xr has ball bearing gimbals, right? I can't say they feel or operate any better than pots. Is the big deal simply that they're different, therefore must be better?

edit: I just re-read my post and it has a tone that I'm disagreeing with, or belittling your opinion. That's not the case... it was a legit question. Other than the 9xr I've never used a bb gimbal so I'm not sure if this is just a bad example or what I'm missing.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:44 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,833 Posts
I don't think I could tell the difference...but then I'm quite ham fisted.
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:46 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,263 Posts
yeah, the feel as 9X... ball bearing pots is the key, not gimbals only.
Or, friction free pots, without cursor. They are cheap, don't think to pocket burners, 1.20 retail at mouser, check Murata angular position sensor.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
[*]Is "receiver lock" something people know? i don't... but maybe its just me. I have no idea what that's referencing. I would suspect it means I can lock-out a rx from being used, but I'm not sure why I'd want to
It's probably model match, pretty much the only name that function is known as - but unfortunately that's a registered trademark from Spektrum, so no choice but try to find something else that some people might understand. Then explain to the others
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Feb 20, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:19 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Reciever could be misspelled... please, take it from a non native English speaker
I before E except after C.

Repeat it a few times and you'll remember it. It's something that school children here get drummed into them at an early age!
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
Registered Loser
Joined Jun 2010
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
It's probably model match, pretty much the only name that function is known as - but unfortunately that's a registered trademark from Spektrum, so no choice but try to find something else that some people might understand. Then explain to the others
That makes sense. OK, then its actually not a bad name to use because that's the first thing that came to mind except I figured, "well then he'd say model match" . "Model Mate" might work... a bit sexualized, but whatever... gets the point across.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:48 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I before E except after C.

Repeat it a few times and you'll remember it. It's something that school children here get drummed into them at an early age!
"I before E except in 50,000 cases" is perhaps more accurate, as science, weight, and species may attest

Renatoa is of course quite right, to clarify.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:16 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Yes, it is misspelled.

While we're at it:
  • "upto" isn't a word. You have it correct "up to" in the first point, but incorrect in the 2nd to last.
  • I don't understand the title's reference. Why is the "r" hyphentated from "evolution"? Is it a play on words between "revolution" and "evolution" or is it trying to say an evolution which is happening again (re-evolution)?
  • Is "receiver lock" something people know? i don't... but maybe its just me. I have no idea what that's referencing. I would suspect it means I can lock-out a rx from being used, but I'm not sure why I'd want to
  • "Back lit" should be one word "Backlit"
  • "Full Duplex" should be hyphenated ("Full-duplex")

Trying to be helpful, not picky. Small errors in advertisements can really bug some people, even if they don't consciously realize it (or so my various marketing text books said so) Though I'm now thinking that I'm not clear if you were posting prior to running the ad or if its already run?
Sorry guys - I attached an early proof of the ad. I religiously misspell things, and almost always typo receiver. The ad sent to the magazine had the corrections made (receiver and "up to"). I just added the additional edits pointed out, but we are behind the artwork submission period already.

R-evolution - Just something I came up with. I consider the FrSky system both a revolution and an evolution, so why not.

Receiver Lock - A new feature for FrSky that goes further than Spektrum's registered "Model Match".

I had a limited space to play with so I had to limit the bullet points. I didn't list things like ball bearings, 3 different Fail Safes, Speech, Open Source, equipment choices or explaining the importance of RSSI feedback. I tried to give readers a teasing of the features, enough for them to want to learn more, but not enough for them to say; "Why would I need that on a radio?"

Most people I talk to have little understanding of what the telemetry is and many have little interest in it. They may be aware that they can put sensors in the plane and get some numbers on a screen somewhere, but they don't know why they would be interested in this. Once I explain the RSSI alarms, they suddenly are very interested in the system. It is a fairly unique feature to the radio, and one of the features that allow us to enjoy such a reliable connection with our aircraft.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:17 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,576 Posts
So on this subject, what is your favorite feature of the FrSky system? And how do you explain it to your friends?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,542 Posts
If I have interpreted the spec correctly then if I want a transmitter that I can use with my existing V8 series Frsky receivers and my DSM2 models then this isn't it. Which after all this speculation and hype is a HUGE disapointment.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:27 PM
USA, WA, Olympia
Joined Jan 2001
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
So on this subject, what is your favorite feature of the FrSky system? And how do you explain it to your friends?

-Wayne
You also say quite correctly "Most people I talk to have little understanding of what the telemetry is and many have little interest in it."

However I think I'll have to say receiver battery voltage display. I have many friends who are slopers and while they fit the latter statement if I say "look, receiver battery voltage" they'll perk right up.
dang is offline Find More Posts by dang
Closed Thread