Closed Thread
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:21 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
And I'm using the software with a very similar setup -- and it's friggin awesome. FrSKY will use ARM cortex 4 and I've got ARM cortex 3 -- Also FrSKY will have a larger screen than I have but that extra space is going to be well used. The voice options are really incredible for feedback. For example -- when I flip the trainer switch I have it set to say "student has control" and when I release the switch is says "Instructor has control". Of course voice telemetry is like having a copilot to read the instruments to you. Pretty sweet.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,733 Posts
Really looking forward to the new Frsky radios. If they really have all the capabilities that have been discussed, and come in at a reasonable price, they will set a new standard of value and performance.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
Almost any screw is a single point of failure on a helicopter.
Maiden flight with my 500 I do a piro in a low hover and as it stops it makes a BRRRTTTTT!!!! sound and flips forward into the ground. I managed to hit throttle hold even before the flip had completed (it's a reflex now, I do it without thinking). The elevator swash ball had unscrewed itself from the swashplate despite blue locktite being used. I use green on swashplate balls now for this reason. Damage could have been worse, the tail rotor shaft was bent and the boom was bent at a right angle just forward of the tail gearbox and the blade tips were scraped a little. All in all not bad for a crash into asphalt.

Shakedown flight I do a few pitch pumps and then it starts spinning wildly at the bottom of a pump 20-25 feet up and I have to hit throttle hold and just watch it fall. Landed directly on the skids, bent mainshaft, bent pitch control arm on a grip (arm is replacable, grip was fine), bent feathering shaft, broken Fusuno neon yellow tailfin (which I had just installed that day) and the canopy's finish is cracked up. Gorilla Gear landing skids I had installed paid for themselves that day. I never learned exactly what happened but I suspect that the rudder pushrod guides moved and the rod jammed causing a complete loss of yaw control. I now use a CF rudder pushrod and the problem has not reappeared. (I won't use a wire pushrod on any helicopter anymore)

Craziest thing that ever happened to me was when I noticed that the tailfin was sitting at an angle. I thought the boom had slipped so I landed and found that it had actually BROKEN at the boom support clamp. Somehow the belt drive to the tail had continued to work like this until I got it on the ground. Turns out the screws I had used to hold the boom supports to the clamp on were slightly too long (I had replaced all the screws with stainless steel ones) and the ends of the screws had made pits in the boom on either side and weakened it. Over time piros etc had put stress on it (it's basically a lever on the frame that the tail rotor yanks back and forth) till it cracked off.

I once had an aeliron servo fail while checking blade tracking on my 450 causing the servo to slam all the way in one direction and backflip the helicopter almost directly at me. Missed me by less than three feet. Happened so fast I didn't even have time to react.

I have a feeling that one day, sooner or later, I will get whacked.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
Slight difference $300 spiralling to the ground than $3000
A large nitro or gasser is in the $1000-$2000 range. A Goblin with top of the line electronics can cost 2k-3k
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:42 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,127 Posts
Maybe you should turn in to gliders ASAP. No moving chopping rotors there...
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigar View Post
Maybe you should turn in to gliders ASAP. No moving chopping rotors there...
A 400mph glider can kill you too.

The Worlds Fastest RC Airplanes Close to 400 mph (3 min 8 sec)
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jul 2003
16 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 9X, then a 9XR, back to the 9X, and back to the 9XR......
If the 9X I could get that and it would be C-Ticked for Australia from the Aussie HK warehouse, but I prefer the one without the module so I don't have to remove the antenna when I change the module.

All that aside, now I am thinking of waiting for this new FrSky tx, as by all accounts it will be alot more polished (better built when released). Any updates on release dates, or ballpark prices (even comparing to the 9X/9XR). Problem is when it is released, the ordering is likely to be huge and hard to get in early.
Mainsail1975au is offline Find More Posts by Mainsail1975au
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:29 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Sep 2001
1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
A 400mph glider can kill you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oix6sHKzOLU
Scary!
tigar is offline Find More Posts by tigar
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:44 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,250 Posts
ds gliding looks fun, helis are too noisy for me lol, I have one that I use indoors when I cant fly outside though! Also I've seen many helis go whump and just about disintigrate, just far too much to go wrong for my liking, then again I've had planes nose in too when things break in air!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainsail1975au View Post
Any updates on release dates
one year later....
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:04 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Yes, one year after thread start I think it's a good estimation
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:49 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Anyone have bookmarked or know the pages with the pictures of the new radios? Don't want to have to look through 128 pages, thanks! Can we get someone to add/sticky them to the first page?

Never-mind...looks like they start on page 54
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:26 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
Upper menu / Thread Tools / Show attachments...
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:06 AM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Nice! It's always the simple stuff...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:11 AM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
Well, you learn something new everyday...thanks Ren!
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Closed Thread